PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SRH ejector issue

coloraydo
01-13-2015, 03:07 AM
I have had my Ruger SRH Alaskan 44mag for approx. 3 months, and have shot several hundred rounds (all boolits) through it. I was shooting it the other day, and ran into an issue that I just wanted to pass along.

It seems that the ejector assembly had backed out of the cylinder, not allowing the cylinder to close.
After doing some research and finding videos on dis-assembly procedures, I finally got it tore down. Who knew that the ejector assembly was reverse threads (certainly not me). I think I stumbled upon this little nugget of information while I was trying to tighten it, which was actually loosening it.

After getting the ejector assembly apart, I discovered that the factory had used what appeared to be red Loc-Tite, but when they applied it, probably many at one time, it had been allowed to set up before assembly. It had not spread out at all.:killingpc

So, after cleaning off the old Loc-Tite, I reapplied some fresh Loc-Tite and re-assembled it.
I have since put probably 4 or 5 hundred rounds through it, again all boolits, and everything seems fine.:guntootsmiley:

This is not intended as a dis on Ruger, just a heads up in case anyone else might run into this issue.

contender1
01-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Occasionally any DA revolver can have the ejector rod unscrew. Yes, the factory puts a thread sealant on several screws. But not any type that is permanent.
BTW; L/H threads are there to help prevent unscrewing under vibration.

44man
01-13-2015, 04:03 PM
Not vibration, reverse to barrel torque from twist direction.

coloraydo
01-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Occasionally any DA revolver can have the ejector rod unscrew. Yes, the factory puts a thread sealant on several screws. But not any type that is permanent.
BTW; L/H threads are there to help prevent unscrewing under vibration.

Yeh, I seen that they put sealant on the stud, but it appeared that it set up (dried) completely before assembly, rendering it ineffective. It wouldn't be a big thing, except, what if this were to happen, say, out in the middle of nowhere, and this was your backup, or only form of defense.

Just one of those "warm and fuzzy" things.:veryconfu

Oh well, just one of them things that happen.

btroj
01-13-2015, 07:39 PM
I have had my SRH for over 15 years and take it apart every few years for a good cleaning. I never use loctite on those threads. Just snug it down.

weird that yours came loose.