PDA

View Full Version : Pros and con and your opinion of duall rear ends vs single rears

.45Cole
01-13-2015, 02:11 AM
Before this turns into a Ford, Chevy, Dodge (and whatever else) debate I'm really just looking for your experiences. I am after a 6.0L Powerstroke and it seems like the dually's keep coming up (I'm very particular, manual.) Anyways I plan on keeping the truck for the next 15 some years so I might as well get something nice. I know the duals are a heavier axle, but what about the everyday stuff. I have heard that they are bad in the snow/ice as the rears don't track the front tires. Drive thru's are out of the question.

How much more/ less do you get out of your tires with duals?

Houndog
01-13-2015, 07:27 AM
It depends on what you are going to do with the truck. If you are going to tow heavy trailers and haul heavy loads MOST of the time then duals make sense, BUT if you just want a Diesel powered heavy duty pickup singles work way better. As far as going when the weather gets bad, with the RIGHT tires the duals with some ballast weight will do better. If you live where the weather gets bad and stays that way most of the year, I'd go 4 wheel drive with some sort of locking differential and not look back.

6bg6ga
01-13-2015, 07:36 AM
I will mention something about tire wear. My experience with single and dual has been that the tires on a single wear out faster than the tires on a dual rear. I got a maximum of 38-40K with single and 100K with dual. If I was in an area with severe weather I would opt for a 4 wheel drive with dual rears.

GoodOlBoy
01-13-2015, 07:39 AM
meh.... go with a mid to late 1970s Chevy heavy half.... or a dodge 3/4 ton...... I always liked dualies until I had to drive them long distances a few times with goose-neck trailers and cattle..... but then again I am not a standard transmission fan either... too much like another rapid single arm movement exercise but without the payout....

GoodOlBoy

winelover
01-13-2015, 09:01 AM
Not to mention, that if you have a blowout on a dually, it will takeout the tire next to it, before you have time to pull over. Ask me how I know.

Winelover

texassako
01-13-2015, 09:09 AM
How often will you tow heavy loads and will you need the extra load capacity? I view a dually as an advantage if you tow a lot or heavy stuff, and a disadvantage and extra expense if you do not.

Smoke4320
01-13-2015, 09:17 AM
I towed @16000 lb trailer from Canada to fl to Texas for 3 years . hardly knew it was
There till I hit high winds.
The dually would handle ice snow and mud much better than my 1500 would..
Now if you are talking about around the farm and town use only get a single

William Yanda
01-13-2015, 09:53 AM
I drive an employer owned '06 Chevrolet KUV-Knappheid Utility Van, on a 3500 Express Chassis. 200 K miles to date. It is a single axle. I don't tow, and only occasionally carry MGVW. Mostly hand tools, a few supplies and my luggage. Single axle has worked fine for me. If I were towing heavy loads, long distances I believe the dual rear would be appropriate.

LUBEDUDE
01-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Had my diesel dually for 8 yrs. Best move I made. I've been very hard on it. Hauled overloads many times, and haul heavy loads all the time. Pulled a 12k lb+ trailer on long trips and folks were not passing me, even up steep grades.

Only money put into the truck is G-T-O, or rather, D-T-O.

Can not comment on ice and snow.

Go ahead a git one, you won't regret it! Mine rides better than a 4 wheeler. :)

sundog
01-13-2015, 10:23 AM
2012 Ford Super Duty King Ranch, single 20" rears. I pull a 30' Keystone Everest RV with no problems. In fact, 2 years ago going from West Yellowstone to Jackson Hole via Teton Pass it took both up and down grades like a champ - that's a really STEEP grade on both sides. Most impressive was going down and never using the brakes, engine held 20 mph speed limit in first gear without over revving. Aside from Ford/Chevy/Ram debate the key is getting the best tires you can afford in the appropriate load range, and when they begin to age or wear out replace them.

I had to replace ALL of my RV tires from load range F Koumo (junk!) to G Goodyear due to premature failure. Tires, tires, tires. My truck came with load range F Michelin which have given good service so far.

Did I mention that I LIKE my truck?

If I was going to haul really heavy loads all of the time and have little non haul miles, I think a dually might be the better option. But again, tires, tires, tires.

waksupi
01-13-2015, 12:29 PM
Absolutely terrible on slick roads, and can get stuck on green grass on the flat.

geargnasher
01-13-2015, 12:44 PM
Before this turns into a Ford, Chevy, Dodge (and whatever else) debate I'm really just looking for your experiences. I am after a 6.0L Powerstroke and it seems like the dually's keep coming up (I'm very particular, manual.) Anyways I plan on keeping the truck for the next 15 some years so I might as well get something nice. I know the duals are a heavier axle, but what about the everyday stuff. I have heard that they are bad in the snow/ice as the rears don't track the front tires. Drive thru's are out of the question.

How much more/ less do you get out of your tires with duals?

Made me laugh! Please do more research before jumping into one of those albatrosses.

Gear

DR Owl Creek
01-13-2015, 12:59 PM
Wow !?!

I saw the title of this thread and I thought it was going to be about Michelle Obama... :bigsmyl2:

Dave

bear67
01-13-2015, 01:00 PM
I own both, so IMHO it depends upon what you are using the truck/tool for. I have owned and driven dual wheel flat bed one ton (usually heaviest axle and springs available) for 46 years. I usually get more millage out of the duals on the rears, but sometimes this may be affected by the amount of off road usage with a load. These are "haul trucks" used to pull tractors, equipment, livestock and building materials on gooseneck trailer primarily. I would not want to be without one but do not drive as my daily driver. Before retiring and selling out I kept a haul truck and lowboy for construction equipment and a combine trailer.

I keep a diesel single wheel crew cab to pull my 35' fifth wheel RV on the road as it performs as I need it for this usage and this is the second truck for this usage in 10 years. Also 3/4 and one ton single rear trucks have a better ride than one with duals. Fuel and tire economy are factors in this choice of RV toter.

Neither of these haul trucks are 4 wheel drive as I find I have never utilized 4 wheel while road towing and I am not turning and wearing transfer cases and front axles. That is not to say I don't like 4 wheel drive. I keep a 1/2 ton 4 wheel drive pickup or old jeep as an everyday driver, mud wagon, wet cow feeding and ice/snow vehicle for the 3 days a year we might need this in Texas--currently I am driving a beater Jeep.
In the family stable of trucks that is sitting at the shop or on the road is
2000 Dodge diesel one ton HD cab and chassis with flat bed
2014 3/4 GMC diesel RV hauler
2010 half ton small v8 for boss lady
2005 Jeep
and the son and grandson which we all share as needed
2002 Ford Diesel 3/4
98 Dodge diesel 3/4 4x4
96 Dodge diesel 3/4

This is my take on it and it is worth every cent you have invested in my opinion. Good luck and hope you are happy with whatever truck you decide on. A truck is just another tool and my old daddy used to say often that "Pickups and pocket knives were made to be used, not looked at."

paul h
01-13-2015, 01:53 PM
The only reason I'd get a dually is if I was pulling a fifth wheel trailer.

I've had a 2500 ram cummins for eight years and I've yet to find it lacking in either payload or pulling power. I've never once thought I should have gotten a dually, but I don't pull a fifth wheel.

ole 5 hole group
01-13-2015, 02:29 PM
I agree with Paul H and others who say a dually is only called for when one is pulling a heavy load over long distances on a regular basis.

If gas mileage isn't a big deal, I'd go with a 4X4.

Now, as far as a locking diff, as previously mentioned - I wouldn't recomend a full-time locker such as a detroit, as it does have a few drawbacks in everyday driving. If you feel the need, the ARB or other air lockers that are "on-demand" are the way to go. Otherwise a posi is a good alternative to a locker.

Tire mileage varies with the quality of the tire and quality usually means more money. I've found 4 quality tires is usually cheaper than 8 cheapies.:smile:

Beau Cassidy
01-13-2015, 02:47 PM
For general use I would suggest a single rear wheel- think parking lots and parking garages here. The world is becoming accustomed to smaller and smaller vehicles. I usually take up 4 spaces when parking the SRW '08 F350. Another thing not mentioned is gears. If you are planning on towing get some lower gears. I got taller gears for mine as I typically don't tow anything over about 5k lbs.

clayton4971
01-13-2015, 03:15 PM
I have had both in the last few years and tow large fifth wheels I can defiantly feel the stability on the road towing . If you don't tow a lot I prefer the SRW . Remember you can't take a dually thru most car washes it's all by hand .

clayton4971
01-13-2015, 03:20 PM
I have had both in the last few years and tow large fifth wheels I can defiantly feel the stability on the road towing . If you don't tow a lot I prefer the SRW . Remember you can't take a dually thru most car washes it's all by hand .

Just remember if you get the 6.0 ford you will want to get it bullet proofed. Read some of the ford forums . I had one nine years and was lucky but a lot of others were not.good luck on your decision

Harter66
01-13-2015, 03:23 PM
Ive been in a lot of diesel trucks mostly Fords over the last 20 yr. All of the negative points are valid except the blow 1 loose them both ,that's a wash I think ,I don't remember ever seeing a dually anything with both tires blown except once on a truck that was at the upper reaches of the tire load rating. I've had play time on ice and snow with several dualies and they are harder to get back in a straight line if they get away. Tires,tires,tires.... yep but not just to match your bulk driving. Another downer of the duals is if you do loss a tire say at half of tread life the replacement new tire WILL adversely effect the remaining 3,usually wearing itself and the outside dual on the other side as well as screwing up the load carrying on all 4 tires and replacing 2 is just as bad because placed 1 on each side they will wear the center out of the companion tire ,both on 1 side will wear the shoulder on the inside and the center of the outside and the opposite on the other side. So blow a rear tire buy 4 save 2 for the front and a spare . If you don't expect to haul over 50% of your miles over 200 miles from home go single or buy 3 single duals to run when you aren't running heavy. (You'll want a spare even if you never use it).

merlin101
01-13-2015, 03:42 PM
It depends on your everyday usage. For the most part a rear wheel drive single wheel truck will have better traction that the SAME truck with duels. Track real has little to nothing to do with it, if the two trucks weigh the same and have the same tread tires the all the weight is is in a smaller area on the single wheel truck. On the other hand the duely will handle more weight (depending on tires) than the single and will almost always more stable in turns while towing or loaded.
Please do some research before buying a Power stroke.

historicfirearms
01-13-2015, 05:14 PM
I've owned two diesel trucks in my life and will never own another. They are a pain in the *** in cold weather. Fuel can gel, water in filters, hard starting... Diesel costs more than gasoline. Oil changes are more expensive. Diesel stinks when you get it on you while refueling. They are noisy and slow. Diesel fuel pumps are fewer in number at your typical gas station so you wind up waiting a lot longer to take your turn at the pumps. Parts are more expensive. Purchase price is more. The torque they make is harder on transmissions and u-joints. Etc.

Lumpy grits
01-13-2015, 05:32 PM
Not to mention, that if you have a blowout on a dually, it will takeout the tire next to it, before you have time to pull over. Ask me how I know.

Winelover

Drove semi-trucks for 25+ yrs. Never had that happen UNLESS somedangthing was hit by BOTH tires.
Dual wheel load axles are far more load stable in cross winds and winding roads. Better 'float' on soft ground also. Longer tire wear too.
My 1T crew-cab is a dually, and carries my 11 1/2' Lance Camper while towing my Jeep CJ behind it with no issues.
LG

butch2570
01-13-2015, 07:28 PM
If you drive the dually in offroad conditions(on the farm,in mud or around a construction site), along with highway driving, and small rocks gets wedged between the tires, unknown to yourself it can for sure blow both tires at the same time. Some times one will blow and the other has the sidewall cut up so badly it has to be replaced anyway,even if it didn't blow. I have driven dual wheeled service trucks for 25 years in both environments , and have lost lots of dual tires because of this .

Lumpy grits
01-13-2015, 07:33 PM
If you drive the dually in offroad conditions(on the farm,in mud or around a construction site), along with highway driving, and small rocks gets wedged between the tires, unknown to yourself it can for sure blow both tires at the same time. Some times one will blow and the other has the sidewall cut up so badly it has to be replaced anyway,even if it didn't blow. I have driven dual wheeled service trucks for 25 years in both environments , and have lost lots of dual tires because of this .

That is true with a single axle.
With a double axle, we would just tie a rope between the tires to the other axle and that did a good job of pull'n the rocks out.
LG

mattw
01-13-2015, 07:43 PM
All I can say is that in Illinois on snow and ice covered roads, they suck! They do not run in the same track and they are bad on crowned roads.

butch2570
01-13-2015, 07:53 PM
That is true with a single axle.
With a double axle, we would just tie a rope between the tires to the other axle and that did a good job of pull'n the rocks out.
LGYeah, you're right , I mean I take them out with a 6 ft bar when I know they're in the tires ,but with a tool body over the tires and a mud flap behind them and with 50 -60 pounds of frozen mud /slop hanging on them , there are lots of rocks that never get seen. Anyway, if I were not pulling a very heavy load on a regular basis, I would opt for the single,and forget the duals.

snowwolfe
01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Diesels and dual wheels are a total waste unless you need to haul or carry a LOT of weight. Just recently I calculated the $9,000 premium the Powerstroke costs would fuel a gas truck for 50,000 - 70,000 miles at the current gas prices if you just use the truck for light hauling or light towing..

With diesel fuel costing about $1 or more than gas currently its just like pouring money down the drain. And yes, my last Ford was a diesel.

AnthonyB
01-13-2015, 09:56 PM
2012 Ford Super Duty King Ranch, single 20" rears. I pull a 30' Keystone Everest RV with no problems. In fact, 2 years ago going from West Yellowstone to Jackson Hole via Teton Pass it took both up and down grades like a champ - that's a really STEEP grade on both sides. Most impressive was going down and never using the brakes, engine held 20 mph speed limit in first gear without over revving. Aside from Ford/Chevy/Ram debate the key is getting the best tires you can afford in the appropriate load range, and when they begin to age or wear out replace them.

I had to replace ALL of my RV tires from load range F Koumo (junk!) to G Goodyear due to premature failure. Tires, tires, tires. My truck came with load range F Michelin which have given good service so far.

Did I mention that I LIKE my truck?

If I was going to haul really heavy loads all of the time and have little non haul miles, I think a dually might be the better option. But again, tires, tires, tires.

Corky:
Love my 2008 6.4 Crew Cab TD! Graduation present from final tour in Iraq and love it. Averaging little over 16 MPG overall.
Tony

DCM
01-13-2015, 10:39 PM
How often will you tow heavy loads and will you need the extra load capacity? I view a dually as an advantage if you tow a lot or heavy stuff, and a disadvantage and extra expense if you do not.

Agreed.

TXGunNut
01-13-2015, 11:14 PM
If you need to pull or haul more than a SRW pickup will haul than by all means buy the dually, just get ready to buy more tires and fuel. Keep an eye on those rear fenders, pretty easy to knock them off if you're not paying attention.

country gent
01-13-2015, 11:37 PM
Parking is a real issue with them in most parking lots as the spaces get downsized. I am driving a diesel excursion and it is a pain in parking lots and parking garages the long wheel base dosnt have as tight a turning radious as others and it sits tall enough to be an issue in newer garges. I have seen a few of passenger side fenders wiped out by mail boxes. If you really need or want one get it but be aware of the issues first.

.45Cole
01-13-2015, 11:39 PM
So I guess I should clarify a bit. I can hardly find what I'm looking for in a 250 or SRW 350, but there are quite a few in 350 DRW and they're usually 4-8k cheaper (more truck for less money?) I would like a SRW 350, but I'm really looking for a 6 speed manual T case with the upfitters and trailer brakes in a 05-07 4x4, and preferably a Lariat. And under 120k. I have found a couple duallys but not cheap 350 singles. So I was hoping to get opinions on the easo of finding close, cheaper ones with duals, or keep fishing.

I have a 150 and a fuel getter, but down the road I may want to tow larger junk ( probably mo more than a single wheel can take) and am looking for a diesel before things get dumb.

There's a lot to be said about 6.0L's, both ways. I'm a 7.3 fan, but leather sunroofs...

NavyVet1959
01-13-2015, 11:42 PM
When I bought my pickup (Dodge) back in 2004, I compared the 1500 with the hemi and the 2500 with the Cummins diesel. The diesel had plenty of acceleration and I would have liked to have gotten it, but it was around $10K more than the hemi ($5K for the 1500 to 2500 upgrade and another $5K for the diesel upgrade). I definitely would have liked the better fuel economy of the diesel, but considering the fact that I don't have have 70K miles on it yet, it wouldn't have paid for itself. The diesel was a standard whereas the hemi was an automatic. I definitely prefer the standard though.

MaryB
01-14-2015, 02:07 AM
Duallies around here are framer caddy's... show off trucks that most don't need and never use for towing more than the boat to the lake cabin. I drove one for one place I worked to pick up and deliver TV's for repair(I repaired electronics). It sucked on ice and deeper snow, the rear was all over the place because it couldn't follow the car/ 1/2 ton pickup tracks. Getting in and out of peoples driveways was tight and I often had to move stuff that was to close to the driveway(kids toys like swings).

NavyVet1959
01-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Many years ago, I saw someone who had a 4x4 with duallies on the front and rear. I have no idea how it would handle on the street, but it was interesting looking.

I've noticed some of the big rig trucks and trailers switching to single larger tires instead of the dual tires on each side. The single tire is the same width as the 2 tires.

winelover
01-14-2015, 08:06 AM
Inside tire blew and the separating steel radial belts slapped the sidewall of the tire next to it. Resulting cuts made that tire useless. These were ten ply Generals.

Winelover

Drove semi-trucks for 25+ yrs. Never had that happen UNLESS somedangthing was hit by BOTH tires.
Dual wheel load axles are far more load stable in cross winds and winding roads. Better 'float' on soft ground also. Longer tire wear too.
My 1T crew-cab is a dually, and carries my 11 1/2' Lance Camper while towing my Jeep CJ behind it with no issues.
LG

MT Gianni
01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
I live in an area with a minimum of 10 times the number of cattle than people, there is even one or two sheepmen. No one drives a dually here. If they own one it stays hooked to the trailer but often even a 5 horse trailer is hauled with a single rear wheel one ton.

NavyVet1959
01-14-2015, 12:27 PM
From a probability standpoint, the more tires you put on the road (especially if you are increasing your track), the greater the probability that at least one of them will have a flat.

.45Cole
01-15-2015, 12:36 AM
I can fix a lot of flats with 6k...

NavyVet1959
01-15-2015, 09:45 AM
I can fix a lot of flats with 6k...

But it's not quite that way. It's not that you pay the $6K and then have less of a chance for a flat. You pay $6K and you have *more* of a chance for a flat. Now, *if* having a flat does not stop your vehicle and it can continue on with the other tire of the dual tire pair, then it might be worth it. From what some have implied here, that might not be the case. I've seen regular tires on utility trailers bend heavy metal fenders when they went flat from a broken valve stem. I suspect that the fenders on the duallies would have just as much if not more damage since it seems that they are made from fiberglass in the ones that I've seen that were involved in wrecks.

Personally, I suspect that unless you are hauling a lot of weight *often*, the duallies are not worth it. It's difficult enough to find a parking spot for a normal sized pickup these days without adding the additional width of a dually.

On the other hand, if BIG is your thing and you don't care whether you can find a parking spot, there are some conversions for the Ford F650 truck to make it into a pickup.

http://www.marax.at/funpix/ford_f650.htm
http://www.marax.at/funpix/ford_f650_01.jpg

When my knees are bothering me, I have enough trouble climbing up into my regular size pickup. I would need a power lift to get up inside one of *those*. :)

MT Gianni
01-15-2015, 11:20 AM
So I guess I should clarify a bit. I can hardly find what I'm looking for in a 250 or SRW 350, but there are quite a few in 350 DRW and they're usually 4-8k cheaper (more truck for less money?) .

That is what they call a clue. If duallys are less follow the money, there is a reason. Taxes, registration costs and resale all bear looking into.

Jeff Michel
01-15-2015, 11:38 AM
My F350 is a four wheel drive, dual and I'll never buy another. It's like a hog on ice. Buddy of mine has a F350 single and it's about the answer to a maiden's prayer. I have the original power stroke motor 7.3 and it's a super engine in all respects. I'd be wary of the 6.0, pretty much a boat anchor from what some local owners/mechanics are saying.

paul h
01-15-2015, 03:12 PM
I've owned two diesel trucks in my life and will never own another. They are a pain in the *** in cold weather. Fuel can gel, water in filters, hard starting... Diesel costs more than gasoline. Oil changes are more expensive. Diesel stinks when you get it on you while refueling. They are noisy and slow. Diesel fuel pumps are fewer in number at your typical gas station so you wind up waiting a lot longer to take your turn at the pumps. Parts are more expensive. Purchase price is more. The torque they make is harder on transmissions and u-joints. Etc.

I've never had a problem with driving a diesel truck in cold weather, heck the Alaskan oil field truck fleet has been diesel from day one and I've driven their trucks at -40 with no problems. It's pretty simple, a good block heater and plug it in when the temps drop. Of course gas rigs are just as balky if you don't warm their blocks when the temp drops below 0. As far as gelling the fuel or water, as with any vehicle bad fuel will bite you. I change the fuel filter in my 06 cummins annually ~12k miles and have never had a fuel problem. I do my own oil changes and run Mobil 1 turbo diesel 15k between changes, and swap filters at 7.5.

Diesel trucks slow??? You must not have driven a turbo diesel truck as with 600+ ft/lb of torque they are anything but slow. I debated chipping or modding my truck when I first got it but after using it a few years and finding I could tow my boat over mountain passes and not even know I was pulling a load figured I had more than enough power and I've yet to have a desire to drive a ~7000# truck much over 85 mph and and rarely go much past 70.

Yes, diesel fuel is more expensive and you'll never recoup the added cost of a diesel truck with it's better mileage if you never pull a load. But if you do pull a load, a diesel will keep it's mileage in the mid teens when a gasser drops to single digit mileage. In that case, the added cost of the engine and fuel will be offset by the much better mileage. I bought my truck pre-ULSD so I at the time it was better mileage and less expensive fuel.

.45Cole
01-17-2015, 02:54 AM
That guy might be compensating for something. Like a small shooter. Looks pretty little there on his hip. I guess I'll go with what comes up and is a deal. I have a f150 that's horrible on the ice due to 33's and a small lift to get around in the mountains. I usually keep vehicles/things for life, so resale is not my thing. Come to think of it I do wind up selling quite a few guns.

Thanks for the replies, sounds like they're pretty bad on ice and the rest I have experience with. I didn't think about the GVWR and how that could affect registration/insurance though...might warrant some investigation.

Blacksmith
01-17-2015, 11:45 PM
Three pages and no pictures of rear ends, single, dual, or split.:popcorn:

Plate plinker
01-17-2015, 11:56 PM
SRW unless you are pulling heavy loads constantly.

.45Cole
01-18-2015, 02:34 AM
If i remember blacksmith, I'll get you a pic of whatever I wind up with. I think I got a buyer for the Jeep I have, just need to find the ford now.

MtGun44
01-18-2015, 02:40 AM
The reason to need duals is max load on the tire. Unless you plan on spending a lot of your time behind the
wheel with more than the load rating for your rear tire fitted x 2 (load index 120 is common for tires on
an F250, for example, and are rated at 3,087 lbs per tire, so 6,174 lbs for the rear axle with a pair of
load index 120 tires) you will be fine with single tires.

If you need more weight capacity - which usually means a big and really heavy fifth wheel
trailer with a huge load on the hitch - you need a dually. Pretty much that is the only difference; weight
capacity, although the whole vehicle will be set up more for hauling heavy weight - shorter axle
ratio, heavier tranny, bigger tranny cooler, larger radiator, etc, etc. There are real differences in
traction and tire issues, fuel economy is worse, plus doubling your cost of rear tires. You will
pay more to buy and more to operate the dually, you really want to be sure you need that weight
capacity, because you WILL be paying for it.

Bill