PDA

View Full Version : What to use to treat new clean walnut shells>

oldsagerat
01-13-2015, 01:29 AM
What kind of polishing stuff do you add to new, virgin walnut shell media?

triggerhappy243
01-13-2015, 02:21 AM
I buy pre treated with jewelers rouge..... The red stuff

GoodOlBoy
01-13-2015, 02:24 AM
I pre-treat with brass..... Throw it in and turn it on. Usually breaks it right in.

GoodOlBoy

44Vaquero
01-13-2015, 05:12 AM
a couple of table spoons of Nu-finish Car polish, run until blended in, then add brass.

Edster
01-13-2015, 05:33 AM
+1 on the Nu-finish

bobthenailer
01-13-2015, 09:17 AM
I also use liquid Nu-Finish car polish!

Blanco
01-13-2015, 10:05 AM
Nu-Finish and a spoon full of mineral spirits. Cases come out slick as a fried egg on a frozen lake.
Not sure where you get your Walnut, but most pet supply places sell Lizard Litter in a bag for about $6.00 .... it is ground Walut shell!

DR Owl Creek
01-13-2015, 01:14 PM
I think RCBS (or possibly Lyman) makes a polishing rouge you can add to untreated walnut shell media. I've seen it in some of the better stocked reloading supply stores, but I've never tried using it. Lyman also makes a conditioner you can add to treated walnut shell media that's starting to dust badly, to extend it's life a little longer.

Dave

mdi
01-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Nuttin'. Why not try nekkid walnut media? May fool ya...

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2015, 01:32 PM
I use "polishing compound" by turtle wax, it's in paste form, comes in a tub, and I thin it with 91% Iso alcohol, so it's pours like water. I add about a teaspoon about every 5th batch of brass tumbling...I also add about a teaspoon of liquid car wax at the same time, whatever brand I can find on sale or garage sale, brand doesn't seem to matter.

Menards has the polishing compound on sale regularly,,,usually 99¢

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-13-2015, 02:47 PM
Nu Finish car polish works good, simple to use, reasonably priced, doesn't take very much and is a better than average car polish as well. Lasts a long time.

AggieEE
01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Back in the bad old days DuPont had their No. 7 car polish. I think it was tripole in mineral sprits. Can't find it anymore. I think it was a victom of EPA because of the VOC's in the mineral sprits. I do agree that the Turtle Wax polishing compound works good. It's water based so make sure you give it time to dry before using.

mozeppa
01-13-2015, 03:10 PM
i bought pound of jewelers rouge ....fills up a half gallon jar.

a teaspoon of it and a teaspoon of "mothers car wax" let it run till all is blended in.
makes them shine like new money!

dragonrider
01-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Dillon Rapid Polish. Does an excellent job.

country gent
01-13-2015, 03:36 PM
I like the iosso polish to treat new media with. It gives a nice shine cleans well and helps with dust I ad an ounce or so to the running vibrator let run for 1/2 hour to an hour to distribute evenly then brass. I also use nu finish car polish with every batch. ( just a teaspoon or so poured in slow and evenly around bowl) and a couple ounces of alchlol again poured in slow and evenly around bowl. I have seen jewelers rouge, rupping compounds from #7 duponts to others, flitz or simichrome polish, brasso and or comet, to others used. Some of the rubbing compounds polishes are abrasives and may be removing small amounts of metal with the polish.

Hankster1962
01-13-2015, 03:51 PM
I use Nu Finish car polish. I learned of this through another handloader buddy, and decided to give it a try. It works great and is cheap. Give it a try, you will be surprised.