PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Homemade BP lube?

PatMarlin
09-26-2005, 03:19 PM
I was given a restaurant 12"x12" box of Commercial Crisco type white shortening that's vegetable (hydrogenated) and cotton seed oil. Hard and white.

What's the best use of this stuff?

Also- when you guys make up lube, have you ever poured melted lube over your patches?

waksupi
09-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Pat, the stuff you got, would probably be best suited for a BPCR lube, or for minie balls, should you lower yourself to shoot such things.
My favorite all time lube is moose milk, which is one part water soluble machine oil (available at Napa, or a machine shop), to 10-11 parts water. Cheap, and works very well.

PatMarlin
09-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Ric- are you sure your zip isn't "Montana Hills 90210"?.. :mrgreen:

waksupi
09-26-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure what you are referencing, Pat.

??????????????????????????????????????????

PatMarlin
09-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Why that's the snob-ish "Beverly Hills" zip code..
:mrgreen: [smilie=l: :mrgreen:

Bullshop
09-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I was given a restaurant 12"x12" box of Commercial Crisco type white shortening that's vegetable (hydrogenated) and cotton seed oil. Hard and white.

What's the best use of this stuff?

Also- when you guys make up lube, have you ever poured melted lube over your patches?
Pat
Make shure there is no salt in it befor you out it in your barrel!!!
BIC/BS

waksupi
09-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Why that's the snob-ish "Beverly Hills" zip code..
:mrgreen: [smilie=l: :mrgreen:

Oh, they would love me there. They probably wouldn't even let my old pickup drive down the street.

PatMarlin
09-26-2005, 07:17 PM
The box doesn't list salt as an ingredient, and I'm not about to taste that nasty hydrogenated stuff.. :mad:

I guess I could spred some on a bare peice of steel and see what happens. Should make her rust pretty fast wouldn't ya think?

9.3X62AL
09-27-2005, 03:48 AM
Ric, yer old truck would be just fine in BH. You should see the vehicles my metals guy in BH drives!

Blackwater
09-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Pat, I've had good results with Emmert's with lanolin. Emmert's is an old Schuetzen lube, as I understand it, and it's simple and easy to make. It's 50% beeswax, 40% your white Crisco, and 10% canola oil. To a finished batch of this, I add @ 6% anhydrous lanolin. The lanolin seems to make it stick to bullets and stay in the grease grooves better, and it's also a very good and very slick lube in itself. I'm no chemist, but I suspect it attracts and maybe holds moisture from the air or from blowtubing better than the plain version.

shooter575
09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Crisco/lard and beeswax works well for minnies and BP cartridge. 50/50 is a start.Make sure it ain't salted.I don't shoot PRB,so I defer to others.
I use a mix of Bees wax,neetsfoot oil and lanolin 50%,25%,25%

PatMarlin
09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
The box does not list salt as an ingredient.

Everyone says "make sure", but how am I supposed to make sure?

I'm gonna try spreading a thin film on bare steal, and settin' it out.

I've got lanolin and beeswax.

Hey- anyone use Ballistoll oil? Man- that sounds like it would make up some good lube. Very close and does the same job as water soluble oil.

shooter575
09-29-2005, 05:49 AM
I use Ballistol to wipe down my BP weapons after cleaning.Used it watered down with a dash of liquid soap [simple green,dawn]to clean fouling. I get in the 16 oz can.A WD-40 pump spray head screws right to the can.
Old buddy of mine said Ballistol smells like "dirty socks" I have grown to like it?

Junior1942
10-12-2005, 11:38 AM
>The box does not list salt as an ingredient. Everyone says "make sure", but how am I supposed to make sure?

Look at the ingredients label and see if it contains sodium. If it does, it has salt in it.

Ken O
10-17-2005, 09:46 PM
I dont shoot much BP, maybe four or five matches a year, but a couple years ago at a match I noticed the guy next to me not doing any cleaning. The match was shoot 5 rounds, then change targets and score, 25 rounds total. I have to clean every 5 rounds and the last couple seat kinda hard. I'm using TC Borebutter, suppose to be the 1000 shot stuff (thats a lie) for lube and using the TC #13 BP cleaning stuff.
This guy didnt clean the whole match, he is shooting Goex as I am. Hes shooting a real old sidelock, I'm shooting a Green Mountain .40 target barrel on a TC Renegade.
After the match I asked him how he gets by with out cleaning. He said its the lube he uses, he held up a baby food jar that had his patches in a orange liquid, the liquid is Fantastik, a household cleaner. I do the same now, but about every five rounds I'll lube a patch with the TC butter, dont know if it helps, but I like the idea of some greasy stuff in the barrel once in a while.

wills
10-17-2005, 10:09 PM
http://groups.msn.com/BPCR

See "bullet lubes" on left side of page.

quigleysharps4570
01-02-2006, 10:03 PM
I've found that D&L Hand Cleaner works real well for patched ball. Got the idea from an oldtimer that was clued in on it from another oldtimer in the early 70's at a rendevous.