PDA

View Full Version : New way to get cheated

labradigger1
01-12-2015, 08:45 PM
Some months ago I was at a local scrap yard and spotted copper sheets about 10"x16" and ink stamped 1/2 oz and stamped along the edges .0070. I thought this may be some great gas check material for the bargain price of $3.00 a lb. I bought about 30 sheets of it and sat it aside until I got a fc maker. Fast forward many months and I done some horse trading with BM and long story short I ended up with a 30 cal freechex II. Could not have been happier with the trade!
So this evening to the reloading room I went with my new to me copper sheets and freechex.
I set up my old famco arbor press with the freechex and cut some copper into strips with the old paper cutter. I punched out quit a few nice checks but the edges of some were a bit rough.
I then took a torch and started to anneal the strips to make them softer in hopes to get a smoother edge.
This is when things got interesting. As the torch flame played over the copper it began to smolder, I thought perhaps lacquer to keep the copper shiny, then it began to stink terribly and catch on fire. I blew it out and Lo and behold it is a veneered product! One layer of super thin copper veneer over two layers of some kind of cloth of which I hope to never smell again as it REALLY stank!!!
Long story short, this was not totally copper sheet but a wolf in sheeps clothing. It makes gc's ok but w/o knowing the composition of the inner lamination I am not running it through my barrels.
Anyone want a "good" deal on some faux copper sheeting?
Be warned! If it seems to good to be true it prolly is. I would never have known it was laminated unless I soldered it or heated it with a torch.
Lab

ph4570
01-12-2015, 09:38 PM
It may be printed circuit board material.

labradigger1
01-12-2015, 09:40 PM
That's prolly it, I knew that stinking smell from somewhere before. I remember that stink from soldering pc boards.

labradigger1
01-12-2015, 10:04 PM
I believe it may be called DuPont pyralux.

pretzelxx
01-12-2015, 10:11 PM
Ouch. Take it back and sell it as copper somewhere else

MaryB
01-12-2015, 10:45 PM
what color is the inside? If it is a teflon center it has resale value

labradigger1
01-12-2015, 10:52 PM
what color is the inside? If it is a teflon center it has resale value
Black cloth like mesch. I will do some I depth research and sell it on fleabay.

MaryB
01-12-2015, 10:58 PM
Sounds like FR4... the teflon stuff is usually light colored. FR4 has use too, how much would you need for it? I do some custom circuit boards now and then

labradigger1
01-12-2015, 11:13 PM
Sounds like FR4... the teflon stuff is usually light colored. FR4 has use too, how much would you need for it? I do some custom circuit boards now and then

Not sure, I paid $3 lb when I bought it. Most all of it is in excellent shape and a couple sheets has small dents.