PDA

View Full Version : Pulled BBQ Pork.......Err sort of

Johnch
01-12-2015, 12:28 PM
OK "sort of " is because I will use a lot of differant meats other than pork most of the time
What ever meat you use , the BBQ sause makes it taste sort of like Pulled pork

Also you can make large batchs
It freezes great

6-8 lb roast or goose breast or turkey breast or chicken breast or duck breast or ......
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 med cooking onion
1 clove garlic
oil

Cut the meat into chunks if a roast
Brown the meat in a large pot
Cut the carrots and celery into chunks
Cut the onion into 1/4's
Add water or stock to just cover the meat & vegi's
Slow cook till the meat is just starting to fall apart

Drain the stock off ( great for soup or rice )
Remove the vegi's
Set the meat aside to cool and shred

1 large sweet onion , carmilized
1 small cooking onion choped fine
1 cup sweet peppers ( banna , bell ...what you like) cut into med dice
bottled BBQ sause
At least 1 jalapeno pepper fine choped seads and all
1 or 2 cloves of garlic , chopped fine
liquid smoke ...a few drops

In a microwave safe dish heat the garlic, cooking onion , jalapeno pepper and sweet peppers till hot

In a crock pot add the shreded meat , carmilized onions , heated peppers , garlic and onion
Add a few drops of liquid smoke

OK the tough part , add bottled BBQ sause slowly till the meat is as wet as you like

I like enough sause to have some drip off the meat ....others like less

Heat the mix in the crock pot for a hour or so on low
Stir a few times

I like to serve it over rice , but on a bun is good also

I do a lot of goose hunting , so I make the breast meat into this
Also a older deer ( or young) , the roast's work great

Also
A few things to try
1 good chocolate bar added to the crock pot 1/2 hour before serving adds a interesting change of taste

Or add 2 peachs , put them in a food processor to turn them into mush
Add with the meat and other stuff and heat for 1 hour

Have fun
John

rush1886
01-14-2015, 10:43 AM
Don't believe I'd care to meet the Banty Rooster, sporting an 8 pound breast! Just sayin............!

Beyond that, may have to give this one a go.

reloader28
01-15-2015, 10:24 AM
It does sound real good and easy. I think the candy bar would probly be a little to sweet for me though.

rush1886
01-15-2015, 03:15 PM
I don't do a whole chocolate bar, but 1 or 2 squares of a GOOD, semi sweet chocolate, is a standard to me in preparing chili.

TXGunNut
01-15-2015, 08:58 PM
I just discovered pulled pork recently, so far have been doing the cooking on a smoker. Crock pot version sounds good, thanks for sharing. Chocolate does sound like an interesting touch, not enough to actually sweeten a dish this large.

jroc
01-16-2015, 06:33 AM
:awesome:Sounds good to me. I also get a lot of goose breast every year. Similar to what I do with them. I marinate ovrnite in Italian Dressing then dump a bottle of barbecue sauce and goose breasts with onion, celery, clove of garlic and a carrot. Let it cook all day in the crockpot mash carrots and mix it all up, serve on a big onion roll. Twist a top on a cold one and your good to go.

WRideout
01-16-2015, 07:27 AM
The sweetness of the candy bar would probably go okay in the BBQ. I have a recipe for Cincinnatti Chili I got out of the newspaper, and it calls for cocoa powder; it's pretty good too.

Wayne