PDA

View Full Version : First test with .22 RF jacketed bullets

KTN
02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
My first try on bullet swaging and results look promising.
Gun was my Sako varmint .22 PPC.
Bullet weight was 50 gr and loads velocity ~3400 fps.
10 shots/100 yds.:bigsmyl2:
Can't blame wind for those fliers,because it was indoor range,but my alibi is that silencer got hot and mirage did it.[smilie=1:

Kaj

Bullshop
02-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Very nice performance indeed. There are a couple terms I am not familiar with though, 100 yard indoor range, and silencer!!! Heard of um but never seen um. 100 yard indoor now that would be nice! Silencer, at 3400 fps, I dont think so. I bet I know what make that rifle is though.
BIC/BS

Adam10mm
02-23-2008, 01:52 AM
Gotta love Finland. Suppressors are unregulated from what I hear.

I go to Finlandia University here in MI. We have a bunch of Finnish students here that share stories. Cool people.

georgeld
02-23-2008, 02:06 AM
That's a great group! I can't do that with v max's a lot of time in a fine shooting Sako.
but, that's me and my fault not the gun or bullets.

Impressive for your first batch! I'm proud of you.

There's an indoor 100yd range with about ten lane's in Denver. I shot at it a few times.
Very nice. Walls and roof is made of those concrete Twin Tee's smooth side in except the roof.

Adam10mm
02-23-2008, 03:12 AM
Sako. Another good think about Finland. I had a Tikka a few years back.

Seems the 22 PPC is pretty popular over there.

Mk42gunner
02-24-2008, 12:12 AM
Dan (Bullshop),

Trust me if yup light off a rifle on an indoor range you will definately want a silence/ suppressor. I was stationed on a ship out of Sasebo, Japan and ran M-14 quals on the Japanese Self Defense Force's indoor range; double hearing protection was not enough.

Robert

Adam10mm
02-24-2008, 12:29 AM
I ran my AR15 (load was 68gr Hornady or 69gr SMKs with 25gr Varget) in an indoor range Thursday with just normal muffs on. No biggie. Not loud at all.

georgeld
02-24-2008, 02:53 AM
The racket is one of the reasons I quit the indoor 50' range.
Too many others shooting 45 colts and 50 boomers thinking
the blast and concussion was a thrill.

EMC45
02-25-2008, 08:33 AM
MK42,
I believe I have fired at that range in Japan! I was stationed at Atsugi and our detachment and another detachment from Yokosuka went to a range to qual. Did the range have humps going down range? Like little hills so to speak? Let me know.

georgeld
02-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Finally felt good enough to weld up that bullet trap I've planned on for a few yrs.

9"pipe 22" long, welded a 1 1/4" disk in the back end. Heavy sucker, just drug it to where I wanted to put it. Should have legs on it, may yet, but, couldn't decide what to use, or how high a tilt.
Want the bullets to hit the inside wall, then bounce against the end cap, or spin around maybe.
So far I've only fired 3 cast 250gr swc's from the 45 colt at 15ft. Real boomer in the shop. In the middle of town too. Just close the doors and go at it. So far no complaints from the neighbors. It's safe now and don't kick up dust from the dirt floor. I had been just firing thru a 2x6" about 16" long laying on the dirt floor. Board kept the dirt and rocks from flying was all. Still kicked up some dust.

Intend to put a 6" thick foam rubber pad in the front end of it to catch anything that would fly back out at the shooter. This will allow catching all the slugs too. Can tip it over to empty into a bucket when the time come's. Got the idea from my gunsmith that has a 6"x3-4' pipe on a stand that he's shot 458's into.

I've had the pipe for a longtime, went to the steel supplier and looked thru the excess stacks and there was a disk 8 3/4" dia and over an inch thick. Man said I could have it. Cant' beat that huh?

fireflyfather
06-11-2008, 04:56 AM
Yokosuka and Sasebo are on entirely different islands....about a 6-10 hour ride by bullet train and ferry.

Not likely you used the Sasebo range...

NoDakJak
06-15-2008, 12:00 AM
I never got to use either the Yokosuka or Sasebo range when I was in the Navy but in 1967 I switched to the Air Force and spent some time TDY as an assistant instructor on the Itazuke AFB Range in 1969. After we recieved the new M-16 I helped overhaul every M-! Carbine on the island of Kyushu. As soon as we were finished they were sent to the welding shop, cut up and sold as scrap. Hmmm! Our government at work. Neil

Bret4207
06-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Finally felt good enough to weld up that bullet trap I've planned on for a few yrs.

9"pipe 22" long, welded a 1 1/4" disk in the back end. Heavy sucker, just drug it to where I wanted to put it. Should have legs on it, may yet, but, couldn't decide what to use, or how high a tilt.
Want the bullets to hit the inside wall, then bounce against the end cap, or spin around maybe.
So far I've only fired 3 cast 250gr swc's from the 45 colt at 15ft. Real boomer in the shop. In the middle of town too. Just close the doors and go at it. So far no complaints from the neighbors. It's safe now and don't kick up dust from the dirt floor. I had been just firing thru a 2x6" about 16" long laying on the dirt floor. Board kept the dirt and rocks from flying was all. Still kicked up some dust.

Intend to put a 6" thick foam rubber pad in the front end of it to catch anything that would fly back out at the shooter. This will allow catching all the slugs too. Can tip it over to empty into a bucket when the time come's. Got the idea from my gunsmith that has a 6"x3-4' pipe on a stand that he's shot 458's into.

I've had the pipe for a longtime, went to the steel supplier and looked thru the excess stacks and there was a disk 8 3/4" dia and over an inch thick. Man said I could have it. Cant' beat that huh?

My Dad built a similar contraption that sat just out the front door of the gun shop. 9" well casing set at a 45 degree angle in the ground. Had a plywood "top" with a 2" or so hole in it with a hunk of inner tube over it. That stopped the gases and dust. There is probably 50 lbs of bullets and boolits at the bottom, but since I'm long gone from that area I guess some one else will have to mine it.

KTN
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Got new idea on bullet cores,and tested it.Cores for these bullets are punched out of 0.06" thick leadsheet,9 disks per bullet.Finished bullet weights 51gr.
First picture is jackets with cores,next are two 5 shot groups at 110 yds and picture from the shooting bench.Next to test these on some varmints.

Kaj

Southern Son
07-22-2008, 03:26 AM
Very interesting, so is that range. Are they the pistol shooting bays infront of your bench? And do the pistol shooter mind you shooting at the same time as them? Just fooling around, I would like to know what is the longest range you can shoot and how expensive is it to shoot there? I don't know of any indoor rifle ranges in Australia that go beyond 50 meters, there was one in Western Sydney that went to 100, but that was in 1990, they closed off half of the range, only let on rimfires and the back half of the range became an indoor skirmish range. Apparently there were not enough people using the full 100 meter range to make it viable. I have heard that the range still went broke, don't know for sure, I have not been to Sydney for 15 years, don't miss it, either.

KTN
07-22-2008, 04:49 AM
Very interesting, so is that range. Are they the pistol shooting bays infront of your bench? And do the pistol shooter mind you shooting at the same time as them?

It's nice to have keys to the biggest privately owned indoor range in scandinavia:mrgreen:.
I was there all by myself,so I locked the doors and moved bench to 110 yds.Normal ranges are 25 meters for pistols and 75 meters for rifles.By closing pistolrange,riflerange can be extended to 120-125 meters=131-136 yds.For non members it costs 12 €/h,for members 6 €/h.

Kaj

scrapcan
07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
KTN,

That range and personal keys would make a long winter much more enjoyable. Couple that with the cans you can legally put on your guns that would be something to enjoy.

KTN
07-25-2008, 10:54 AM
KTN,

That range and personal keys would make a long winter much more enjoyable. Couple that with the cans you can legally put on your guns that would be something to enjoy.

And it is equally enjoyable during summer,when weather gets hot.Being carved 40 meters inside mountain,there is always +18 C /+64 F :-D.

Kaj

LAH
08-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Geez.........that is nice.........Creeker

felix
08-09-2008, 01:20 PM
If that range were built in Houston during the Warehouse shooting days, the land it would sit on would be worth ONE MILLION bucks per linear foot. This is NO JOKE. Example: The Riceland Rice processing company moved from Houston on Gessner street, just down from my house towards the inner city, to Stuttgart Arkansas. They bought all new buildings and all new machinery, all twice as much space and machines, with the money they got for the land. The money even included the complete destruction of the Houston location, and clearing for business buildings. The word was that not one penny changed hands, and the buying outfit (city of Houston included) paid for everything making the trade 100 percent even.

Perhaps, the best indoor 100 yard range is under the interstate going through Weatherby property at Southgate CA. Best because they won't declare it bad news for any reason, and force a move by doing so. ... felix