PDA

View Full Version : Sound reduction chamber

salpal48
01-12-2015, 12:30 AM
I not shore where to post this, I am looking to Build some sort of a sound reduction devise that i can Fire form brass In my loading room. since i do not live in a rural area. and very close between home. I not looking to draw attention by the Noise. It also appox 1 hour to my range and range fees . The cartridge would not be loaded . just Blank load to expand .
Has anyone On the forum and Idea. or , has anyone done this

country gent
01-12-2015, 12:38 AM
It can be done but make sure the materials wont hold unburned powder from this task, a fire could result at some point. A tube lined with rings fitted spaced about 2" apart and covered with some soft rough material to break up and absorb sound waves is whats needed. Itss going to need to be fairly solidly built due to pressure being absorbed. I have seen these open ended to shoot thru to deaden noise being used. There is alot of pressure a wad of some sort and unburnt powder that need to be considered

salpal48
01-12-2015, 12:43 AM
My normal Rife load for exterior FF is 7-9 gn Unique . 1/4 sheet TP to hold powder close . case filler with corn meal or similar Top with ALOX. works well outdoors but Noisy

MaLar
01-12-2015, 01:12 AM
I tried this once. Had a large tin can about 16" by 30".
Filled it with rags and placed the muzzle into the rags and cut loose.
Large BANG and rags flying around the rifle. Put a nice large hole in the bottom of the can.

GSM
01-12-2015, 01:18 AM
Might be a thin line between a "sound reduction chamber" and an illicit suppressor, particularly in a residential area............

Whiterabbit
01-12-2015, 01:59 AM
shouldn't be a thin line if it's not attached to the gun and the size of a microwave or larger. Thin line to firearm discharge, but not to suppressor.

Hickory
01-12-2015, 07:18 AM
Car tires bolted together, about 10-12 of them.
Place them in front of your shooting bench, it will reduce the noise by quite a bit.
Make sure the muzzle of you gun is inside the tires.

Update:
I should have read more than the subject line.
But, the above is good if you have gun-shy neighbors.

dragon813gt
01-12-2015, 07:58 AM
First thing I'd check is your local laws. I know it's illegal to discharge a firearm w/in the boundaries of the town I live in. You also said reloading room so I'm assuming it's inside. Primers contain lead styphnate which is a big source of lead exposure. W/out proper ventilation I would not attempt this

Petrol & Powder
01-12-2015, 08:14 AM
It takes some pressure to fire form a case and I'm not sure you can get there without some kind of projectile. (even if it's not lead) That gets you into the territory of the definition of "discharging a firearm", not to mention the noise and fire hazard of shooting indoors.
It's possible to accomplish your goal of fire forming cases at home but you're really getting into the area of, "is it worth it"?

By the time you address the laws/noise/potential fire hazard/projectile containment issues, you might be better off just doing that at the range.

LUBEDUDE
01-12-2015, 10:35 AM
I was thinking along the lines of Petrol &Powder; that you need a projectile, but if you read Sal's second post, he is using a pseudo-projectile, Alox. I'm surprised that gives enough pressure.

C. Latch
01-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Car tires bolted together, about 10-12 of them.
Place them in front of your shooting bench, it will reduce the noise by quite a bit.
Make sure the muzzle of you gun is inside the tires.

While it doesn't exactly address the OP's needs, this is something I have long pondered, and intend to do one day.

cpileri
01-12-2015, 10:55 AM
I've seen used a rolled up old rug that we were throwing away. the guy taped around it to hold it in rolled up style. then packed the end w an open tub of putty. Stick the barrel into the open end, etc.
Cant be heard from inside the house in most cases.
I suppose you would really load the thing LOUD, btu then we're not talking fireforming loads anymore.
As long as its not designed to be portable, its not a suppressor by NFA definition(*). A big ol roll of rug is not a problem as long as its legal to discharge the firearm at all on your property.
this thread contains a letter detaling the "row of tires' and other similar ideas:
http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72880
of course, best to ask the atf for a letter, etc.

C-
(*) National Firearms Act Definitions
Silencer

26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(7)

For the purposes of the National Firearms Act the term Silencer is defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24)

The term “Firearm Silencer” or “Firearm Muffler” means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/impo ... encer.html (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-nfa-silencer.html)

mdi
01-12-2015, 01:20 PM
I've read/heard of the tires sound deadening system outdoors. It was used to lessen the effect of gunfire round the homestead. Still loud, but a few feet away much more tolerable.

A projectile isn't needed for fire forming, just a fast powder and a little resistance (TP on top of corn meal, COW, etc,). Brass expands/forms quite easily...

Wayne Smith
01-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Humm, a piece of 6" schedule 40 PVC, cap on one end, drilled for pressure release, and filled with fiberglass insulation?? Make it about 5-6' long and I don't think you would have a problem with noise or with safety in your garage or home. May need something to softly seal the barrel to keep from blowback.

No, I haven't done this, nor did I stay at a hotel last nite!

shooter93
01-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Howell's book on cartridge conversions has a good way to fire form without any projectile. I've used his method and a 55 gallon drum to fire into with just a small hole for pressure release and one to accept the barrel. In our case we used the same action all the time and a short piece of barrel, 17 inches if you want to be totally legal, that threaded into a threaded insert that screwed into the drum. We chambered that barrel with the same reamer used on the project rifle. An anchored 55 gallon drum could hardly be called a suppressor. It worked well....didn't use any bullets nor did it fire a few hundred forming rounds down the new barrel. We have a ton of old take off barrels that aren't much good so finding a suitable one hasn't been a problem.

MtGun44
01-14-2015, 01:33 AM
Stack up three or four unmounted tires, pop into the middle. The cavities act to trap the sound.

Bill

Artful
01-14-2015, 02:16 AM
I not shore where to post this, I am looking to Build some sort of a sound reduction devise that i can Fire form brass In my loading room. since i do not live in a rural area. and very close between home. I not looking to draw attention by the Noise. It also appox 1 hour to my range and range fees . The cartridge would not be loaded . just Blank load to expand .
Has anyone On the forum and Idea. or , has anyone done this

If it was my I'd buy a gage and look at hydralic forming - mess by legal and quiet.