PDA

View Full Version : H-R 45-70 barrels

Marlin Junky
02-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know if the 45-70 Buffalo Classic barrel has the same internal dimensions as the 22" 45-70 barrel?

MJ

bishopgrandpa
02-22-2008, 04:34 PM
My BC is .4585, the 22" is .460. This is not true of all. Consistency is not their greatest feature from run to run.

leftiye
02-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Yup. That IS something it would be nice if Remington would change it. H&R didn't go belly up for any other reason than sloppy tolerances, and unfathomable variations in specs. As some one said in another post, as close as you'll get is to call them just before you send them a gun for rebarreling, and ask them what twist and groove dimensions are going to be.

These guys could have destroyed the marked for Thompson Center (taken it away from them). If they had gotten their production set up for interchangeable barrels, and come out with rifle calibers in their single shot actions back in the 70s. Probably could have done it anyway later if their barrels would interchage.

How hard would it be? One more part, a breech/reciever block that barrels screw in to, and recievers that all fit that locking block. How hard can it be to get that pivot pin in the same place each time?

Marlin Junky
02-24-2008, 05:34 PM
My BC is .4585, the 22" is .460. This is not true of all. Consistency is not their greatest feature from run to run.

What are their respective bore diameters?

Did H&R (or Marlin) cut the BC barrels with different tooling, assuming they would be shot with black powder? If that were the case, I would think the BC would measure .460" in the grooves, so I don't know what to think. Perhaps I should look for a #1.

MJ

JSnover
02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Don't know about the 22" tube but my 32" measures .450/.455" bore/groove. It shoots .459" boolits to about 2" @ 100 yards when all the planets are properly aligned. I sized a batch of them to .457 and didn't see much of a difference. Certain aftermarket parts need to be secured, so I can't say how well this thing will actually shoot when it's finished but so far I think it has good potential.

NickSS
02-24-2008, 08:10 PM
I have heard that the buffalo classic and their 38-55 target rifle barrels are made by Green river. All the others are made either in house or by another contractor. I do not know if this is true or not.

lovedogs
02-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I, too, have heard that their BC bbls. are made by Green Mountain. I've only measured two of them. My wife and I have them in .45-70 and both are right on spec at .458 in. I don't know who makes their Marlin bbls. but they seem to be all made to the high end of the spec, too darn big! When I heard Remington had purchased them I had the same thought, hoping they'd finally get their bbls. closer to spec. But they kept the same people in charge so I imagine they won't change to correct things. Too bad! With all the fans they have out here don't you thing they could do even better if they'd correct their spec problems?