PDA

View Full Version : Taming the XDs 45ACP

prs
01-11-2015, 08:06 PM
This Springfield semi-auto is a nice carry piece, but practicing with self defense level ammo is a bit hand numbing, the extent that one might not practice enough to reach Carnegie Hall. Practice should be pleasant, although some experience with the full house ammo is advised. So, given the firearm now has several hundreds of "regular" charged ammo through it and see as how my daughter wished to go with me to the range today, I set up a milder load.

I used the alternative method of seeking a Trail Boss charge. I filled a clean primed empty case up to the point where a 185gr SWC would just barely "kiss" the powder. Then used Lee dippers to see the volume in cubic centimeter, which was exactly 1cc. I was somewhat concerned this powder charge might not cycle the XDs or my 1911 pistols, so I only reduced the 1cc max charge by the next lower setting of my disc type measure, i.e., the .95cc setting. This setting throws 4.1 grains consistently. I ran off 30 of these and also grabbed enough of my "regular" ammo take along.

Well, I'll be a suck egg mule if the Trail Boss loads did not cycle perfectly and deliver a much more pleasant plinker load. We had no problem slamming the dueling tree targets at feet or other cowboy targets. No idea of the velocity, I may check that later, as if it matters for the stated purpose. But it did tame the shrew. The mild loads cycled my Ruger SR1911 also and hitting same targets quite easy.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/Mullins_V/Mobile%20Uploads/20150111_195550_zpsahkh0vj8.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Mullins_V/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150111_195550_zpsahkh0vj8.jpg.html)

prs

Low Budget Shooter
01-12-2015, 02:06 AM
Nicely done!

newton
01-12-2015, 09:17 AM
So does this mean your not behind the 8 ball now.....;)

How do your cases come out looking? I've never worked with TB, but know when I load low with Unique there is considerable blowby on the cases.

glockky
01-12-2015, 09:41 AM
When I had a XDS I used a small charge of tite group that shot a 230gr bullet about 700fps for practice and plinking.

Lefty Red
01-13-2015, 07:36 AM
I was wondering how the 185gr SWC would feed in the XDS. Thinking of ordering some from Extreme Bullets.
Jerry

GhostHawk
01-13-2015, 08:40 AM
I am loading about 5.2 grains of Red Dot below a 228 grain cast boolit and find them easier on the hands than factory loads and reasonably accurate.

Still want to grab the gun securely with both hands, but before I needed to grab my intestinal fortitude first, then the gun.

mattw
01-13-2015, 09:44 AM
I shoot my XDs often, I do not find the recoil to be that bad. I only shoot 200's in it, not 230's. I have never felt the need to shoot 230's in a .45 ACP. I do shoot fairly stiff reloads, but still feels better than a glock in my book.

Lefty Red
01-13-2015, 05:57 PM
The XDS is a tough weapon! I loaded a too heavy charge for it, and it took it and never flinch. Couldn't has the same for me! I loaded a +P charge over some 230 grain LRN and it ate all 125 of them. Palm is sore, but weapon ok.

I like using 200 grain of FMJ RNs over a mid range of 700-X.

Groo
01-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Groo here
As you have found, there is no need to shoot fullbore loads to pratice.
Revolver shooters have done this for years.
The trick is to make a load that will cycle.
In this case , heaver boolets are better as they provide a longer push to get the slide moving.
Also faster powders as they "hit" quick and throw the slide back.
In my REVOLVER [ bold to show difference] I use 230 gr plated rn and 5gr Bullseye for a heaver loadand the same charge with a 185 plated hollow base boolet
for the lighter. [lighter boolet,more case space from rnhb, lower pressure less kick]

PS the xd line [ including the xds are shot with 45super loads by some] are tuff guns.