PDA

View Full Version : How long do I wait to Powder coat after I cast boolits?

Trickrick
01-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I have a new 44 mag that I am anxious to work up some loads.
How long should I wait from the time I pour boolits until I powder coat and then do I need to let the cure before I load them?
i poured about 50 boolits, and then powder coated after they cooled but got to wondering if I should wait a day or two.

info is appreciated

VHoward
01-11-2015, 06:50 PM
I have powder coated bullets the same day they were cast with no problems. After they are cool from baking the powder coat on, they are cured enough to load.

coffeeguy
01-11-2015, 07:58 PM
The only thing I can see being affected by waiting to load is maybe the hardness, but I don't really care much about it personally...The bullets I cast shoot well enough for my purposes and a couple of points either way doesn't concern me. PC'd bullets are very forgiving and half the fun is experimenting with the process.

The only thing I'd watch for is how heavy your crimp is, if possible I'd recover a fired bullet or three and see how much if any PC is being shaved off when the bullet leaves the case during firing.

Beagle333
01-11-2015, 08:09 PM
I have PC'd at a table adjacent to where I just poured them, as soon as they are cool enough to handle and sort. After coating and baking, load whenever you want, whether it's an hour later or a year later. 8-)

Trickrick
01-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I couldn't stand to wait.....I loaded a few rounds to test. Everything went well as expected. I have coated several calibers of bullets, but this was my first loading.
now, hurry up Saturday so I can shoot!

bangerjim
01-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Cast.....cool.........size........PC....size.....a ll in one smooth easy cycle! Normally within 2 days or less.

Some skip the sizing after casting, but I use it to catch out-layers and improved acuracy of size. If you are playing with voodoo water-dropping for Bhn increasing, your boolits will shift around for a couple weeks. All will get a bit harder over time, depending on your alloy. I plan on 2-3 units with air cooling after PC.

banger

Gunslingerdoc
01-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Cast, PC, size then or later depending on time....usually later so I can get one of the kids to size them.

Smoke4320
01-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Cast Pc and size same day if necessary .. No harm at all.. I do usually wait about 2 weeks for the lead to fully harden before shooting ( most of my shooting is rifle and I push soft lead pretty fast without gas checks )

harley45
01-13-2015, 10:31 AM
I will PC as soon as they are cool enough to handle, usually a couple of weeks till I can load and shoot them though.