PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Texas (336)

Char-Gar
01-11-2015, 05:30 PM
In 2005, I paid $140.00 for this 1960 Marlin 336 in a Corpus Christi, TX pawn shop. I added the sight and refinished the wood. "Those were the days" when good Marlins were plentiful and cheap. Of course it is a "thutty-thutty". I use 170 grain FNGC bullets over 17/4759 and it shoots very, very well. It is just a good all around rifle. I could run those bullets faster, but have no need and see no reason to do so.

pull the trigger
01-11-2015, 05:48 PM
Are you just trying to get your money back? I can help you with that.;) A Texan from Texas, seams fitting.

Char-Gar
01-11-2015, 06:12 PM
No, it will stay with me for a while. These type marlins with the straight grip and slender forend are the nicest handling Marlins ever, at least in my opinion. They feel and handle like a levergun should. This one is a big of an odd ball, but I am not a Marlin expert. The Texan had the barrel marked "Texas" and the lever had a square back. This rifle has normal barrel markings and a regular lever.

koger
01-11-2015, 06:23 PM
Most of the later Texans, had a half magazine, cheaper dovetail sights, and birch wood, especially those sold in the mart stores. Yours is a nice one, a keeper if there ever was one!

izzyjoe
01-11-2015, 06:57 PM
That's a nice older Texan, they are getting hard to come by. I have one, and I prefer the pistol grip, but that's me. Those are good shooters, especially with you're combo!

pietro
01-11-2015, 07:19 PM
No, it will stay with me for a while. These type marlins with the straight grip and slender forend are the nicest handling Marlins ever, at least in my opinion. They feel and handle like a levergun should. This one is a big of an odd ball, but I am not a Marlin expert. The Texan had the barrel marked "Texas" and the lever had a square back. This rifle has normal barrel markings and a regular lever.

There were a couple of versions of the 336T Texan - yours, with the round lever loop, is the earlier 1954-83 version with a 20" bbl.
If it has an 18-1/2" bbl, it was made in 1983 (only).

The later, 1984-87 Model 336TS Texan had the square loop & 18-1/2" bbl.

All Texans had walnut stocks - I've never heard of a Texan with other than a full-length magazine, or a Texan with a Birchwood stock set.

Char-Gar
01-11-2015, 08:02 PM
This rifle proved to be a cast bullet challenge. The bore was .309 and the land diameter was a large .305. There was also no throat/free bore in frone of the chamber, just a bevel. I had Mountain Molds make me something special for the bullet in the pic above. Yes, that does make for shallow Micro-Groove rifling.

The nose tapers from .303 to .308 just in front of the short .309 section. The bullet body is .3105. The last half of the nose engraves on the rifling various amounts. The rounds chamber and eject easily.

This an odd bullet that fits only this rifle, but it will produce 1.5 MOA accuracy or better as far as I can shoot. Sometimes it take a custom mold to make a rifle shoot well.

sthwestvictoria
01-12-2015, 09:16 AM
No, it will stay with me for a while. These type marlins with the straight grip and slender forend are the nicest handling Marlins ever, at least in my opinion. They feel and handle like a levergun should.
Not for me - the beauty of the range of choice in rifles I suppose. For me the curved pistol grip marlins feel much better than the straight Marlins or the Winchester 1894. I have a curved pistol grip 336 but a straight 39A (the Mountie sub-type). I also have the Win 1894, which shoots beautifully, the curved Marlin just seems to sit better with me. However with the M39A I appreciate the shorter barrel compared to the standard 39A.
That's the beauty of it - horses for courses.

TXGunNut
01-13-2015, 10:39 PM
Nice, if it ever gets homesick let me know. ;-) Always liked the Texan but never found a nice one when I was looking.