PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a gun yesterday

Wayne Smith
01-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Uberti/Cimarron Lightening - 4 3/4" barrel, color case hardened frame, blued cylinder and barrel, and in 41 Colt. I have loaded ammo and everything I need to shoot it. And yes, I know to limit it to single action shooting. It is a weak internal design.

wrench man
01-11-2015, 04:53 PM
Should be a FINE wheel gun!, I got the GF an Uberti 1873 SAA and she LOVES! it, she can shoot that 45 Colt faster than I can load for it!?, and I whip them out on my Dillon 550B!

John Allen
01-11-2015, 04:56 PM
I really like these lighting copies they just have a cool look to them.

rintinglen
01-11-2015, 06:48 PM
What mold are you planning on using? I toyed with the idea of getting one in 38 Special but I have been burning up my money on 327 Single 7's lately. Could be a while before I get one. I don't think we have to worry about you shooting it other than single-action. AFAIK, the Ubertis are only available in single-action. Unless there's something NEW on the horizon...

hpdrifter
01-11-2015, 10:33 PM
I'll never order a wheel gun a again. I've got to inspect it before I buy it.

Wayne Smith
01-12-2015, 08:48 AM
Mold is one I got from HarryO. It is a special order Lee hollow base heeled boolit - the perfect boolit for the 41 Colt. I also have the modified Lee Factory Crimp die that I think Bernie carries (I got mine from Harry) to crimp the thing. I'm all set.

Nueces
01-12-2015, 10:07 AM
Thanks, Wayne, for posting about Cimarron's new Lightning. I hadn't known that it was available in 41 Colt. I'm situated as you have been - have cases, dies, a mold on the way, even two boxes of Winchester white box factory ammo, but no gat.

Colt New Armies used to be considered junk because of the lack of ammo available, but are now pricey. I remember holding a nice SAA in the 70s, that wouldn't sell at the LGS because of this chambering.

Cimarron's site shows this gun as being a smallified Model P, not a double action repro of the old Lightning. Still looks cool and this design is much stronger than the original Colt DA. I'll keep this as my backup plan for a revolver. I think I'll ask the Cimarron folks if I could get one in Model P.

Please post when yours comes in. I'm interested in throat and bore dimensions and in how it shoots.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-12-2015, 10:35 AM
Very interesting mould and crimp information on this .41 Colt and the model available from Uberti/Cimarron. Keep us posted on how the crimping goes and the groups you get.

bedbugbilly
01-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Wayne - congrats on your new (soon to have) hand gun!

I hope you'll post some photos of it when you get it and what you think about it.

I'm looking at possibly getting one in 32-20/H & R combo as I am fascinated by the 32-20 and getting set up to reload it.

That shows it as being in the Jr frame which is about 75% the size of a regular frame. I'm guessing it will be about the size of a Heritage Rough Rider? I've never had the chance to see one in person or handle one so will be curious to hear what you have to say about it, how you like the feel of the grip, etc.

I presently have two Ubertis - my '51 Navy which I've had a long time and I recently purchased one of their Bisley 357s in 4 3/4". Yes, I bought it sight unseen but still had the option when delivered to the gun shop to reject if desired for those who "only buy in person". The fit, finish and reliability of both of the Ubertis I have are excellent and I'll be adding several more in the next year or so. I've never purchased one through Cimarron - I know there are those who have had a problem with what they got but I believe that those are in the minority compared to those who have multiple purchases from them. Just my thoughts though . . . you can have "issues" with any make whether it be Uberti, Pietta, Ruger, S & W or Colt - and I own all of those and am very please with them all.

Congrats again and please post a 'review" when you can. They look like great six shooters! The wait for it is going to be the hard part!

Wayne Smith
01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
I currently have two Cattleman P models, both in 44-40 and one that is 7.5" with the regular grip and one that is 4.75" and bird's head grip. These were both direct from Uberti to the dealer and then to me. I can post pics of all three when I get this one. I don't have the ability currently to accurately directly measure the dimensions, I'll have to push a boolit throught the cylinders and barrel and measure.

I'll check this one closely when I get it and see if their gunsmith is willing to do the measurements. Years ago Cimmeron had some problems but I haven't heard of any lately.

MtGun44
01-13-2015, 04:33 PM
I always wondered if the same parts made of modern steels might prove
to be significantly more durable.

Bill

Wayne Smith
01-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Got a call from my gunshop, Cimmarron has discontinued this model and somebody ordered all the 4 3/4" models. They have a 5.5" on hold for me. I told him anything in 41Colt, but to call Buff Arms and see if they didn't make the order!

By 'this model' I mean the Lightening. If you want one jump now.

Wayne Smith
01-22-2015, 10:57 AM
5.5" is in!​ Pick it up this afternoon.

skeettx
01-22-2015, 11:41 AM
Wayne, could you also get a 38-40 Cylinder and then you could shoot
both calibers in the same gun??
That is what a lot of folks did with the 41 P model colt.
Mike

Harry O
01-22-2015, 05:09 PM
I have one of the new 41LC revolvers. There is a picture of it near the bottom of my webpage on the 41LC. It is not the P model size (full size SAA). It is the 80% (or so) size frame that they use for the .22LR, 32-20 and 38 Special. For that reason, it is not allowed in CAS shooting. But, I had to get one anyway. Mine has the birdshead grip similar to the Colt Thunderer. It only shoots single action, though, not DA like the original.

The one I got had rough chambers. It made it very hard to eject the cases. I took some fine sandpaper to them and smoothed the creases out. It ejects easily now. I do not know if that is common to all of them, but it was not a deal breaker.

It also had a VERY hard mainspring. I learned that the aftermarket springs used for the P model clones (which are sold everywhere) fit the smaller frame size, too. I changed the mainspring and the trigger/bolt return springs. They work well.

Wayne Smith
01-22-2015, 10:30 PM
Here are a couple of pics of it with my two Uberti Cattleman pistols (standard Colt P Model size) - one 4 3/4" Birds Head and one 7 1/2" and plow handle. No, the standard P Model cylinder won't fit.

It will be a week or two before I get to punch some 44 Caliber round balls through and get some measurements. This weekend I'm entertaining the grandkids and cooking a bear roast for dinner with our co-grandparents. Maybe Sunday I'll get to shoot it and make some measurements??

Harry, this one seems to have smooth chambers. Once I sized my boolits (push through sizer courtesy of Buckshot) they are a tight push fit.

bedbugbilly
01-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Wayne - I like that! Not as small as I envisioned next to the standard frame sizes and it ought to be a lot of fun! A nice looking handgun . . . will be anxious to hear what you think of it once you can get to shooting it. Thanks for the pictures - sure helps to see them sitting together to get an idea of the size. Hate to admit it . . . but as a SA "addict" . . . sort of makes me want one! :-) Thanks!

Wayne Smith
01-25-2015, 10:51 AM
If you want one you better jump, Cimmeron is discontinuing them. I don't know if this applies to the entire line of just the .41Colt chambering. I bought it because it is the only current .41colt made short of a custom gun.

Wayne Smith
01-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Here are a couple of shots with the cylinder loaded. My cartridge trimmed to 1.09" and loaded with my boolit completely fills the cylinder. These boolits are a tight push fit to the cylinder, which appears to have a very slight step rather than being a straight cylinder. These are sized with a Buckshot push through sizer. If I leave the StarLine brass full length I can't use the mold in an original Colt cylinder or this one.

I am not aware of any loaded ammo for this caliber, and I'm not sure that there are any SAMMI specs, either.