PDA

View Full Version : rcbs OR nei 45 hollow base mold

coalgeo
01-11-2015, 03:46 PM
I am thinking about tinkering around with a 45 caliber hollow base bullet for my Rugers in 45 Colt. Just wondering what folks experiences have been with either the NEI 323A or the RCBS 57919? Especially, of course, with recently purchased new products from these folks. While I have no experience with NEI, my experience with customer service at RCBS has always been first rate.
Greg

Blammer
01-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Stay with RCBS or go to NOE.

I'd shy away from NEI.

Ben
01-11-2015, 05:55 PM
No much good being said about NEI, of late.

Ben

fatnhappy
01-11-2015, 10:34 PM
Stay with RCBS or go to NOE.

I'd shy away from NEI.

Blammer is being polite.

NEI is sorely in need of a skilled machinist.

happy7
01-12-2015, 10:46 AM
As said, NEI is not a good option. RCBS makes fantastic molds, with the exception that they tend to run on the small side. Sometimes they are ok, sometimes they are a 1000th or two smaller than I would like. But I would definitely go with the RCBS over NEI.

Forrest r
01-12-2015, 05:31 PM
None of these are rcbs or NIE but they are the 4 hb bullets I use in the 45cal's.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/45hbs_zps12343963.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/45hbs_zps12343963.jpg.html)

Top left: Lyman 45468 185g hbfn (casts .454 with range scrap)
Top right: Mihec 45cal 235g hbwc (casts .454 with range scrap)
Bottom left: Cramer 5f 175g hbswc (casts .454 with range scrap) Extremely rare mold
Bottom right: Lyman 450229 180g hbfn (casts .454 with range scrap)

The lyman molds are easy to come by. The 450229 is actually designed for the lyman 45cal bp rifles so most people don't want them. I paid $25 for mine & it does extremely well in the contender & 45acp.

coalgeo
01-12-2015, 07:00 PM
As said, NEI is not a good option. RCBS makes fantastic molds, with the exception that they tend to run on the small side. Sometimes they are ok, sometimes they are a 1000th or two smaller than I would like. But I would definitely go with the RCBS over NEI.

Well, the loading is for three Rugers, two Blackhawks and one Vaquero, All built after 2006, and all with cylinders have been worked on by Doug. Short answer is a bit undersized I can handle. Thanks for the input guys.
Greg

Bigslug
01-12-2015, 10:28 PM
The first mold I ever purchased was the RCBS 265 grain hollow base for the .455 Webley. The 57919 looks like a blunter nosed version of the same concept. It makes good slugs when you arrive at the combination of variables it likes, but slowly with the single cavity, and got retired as soon as I learned MP Molds had leftovers from a group buy on a 4 cavity brass Cramer version of it

The Webley slug - and it looks like this one appears to as well - has narrow, nearly 90 degree lube groove bands. It was a challenge on my RCBS mold to get these to fill out properly, and it is a challenge on the MP as well. The hollow base is a challenge also - the mold needs HEAT and casting speed. Unless your gun NEEDS hollow bases for some odd dimensional reason , or you're on a traditional hang up (why else own a Webley MKVI?), I can't recommend taking HB's on for pistols with a lot of enthusiasm.

coalgeo
01-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Well, Bigslug, shooting the 'old style' bullet is really the only reason. With the chamber mouths reamed, and with sizing bullets just over bore, I do not have a leading problem - not to mention keeping them under 950 fps. You have some good points and I need to think this one through.
Greg

Webley .455 :D. Oh c%&p, maybe I need one of those now!

Bigslug
01-15-2015, 10:36 PM
Webley .455 :D. Oh c%&p, maybe I need one of those now!

Believe me, it doesn't stop there. You'll also need the .380/200 MKIV. . .

My 4C MP mold suddenly started behaving very nicely at the very end of my last casting session when I was wore out and the pot was almost empty. Hopefully, it decided it was broken in and it gets easier from here. Right now though, I've got the "but 452423's cast easier and hit harder" voice in my head arguing with the "shoot the QUEEN'S bullet for Gawd's sake" voice in my head. It hurts. . .

coalgeo
01-16-2015, 08:41 PM
Believe me, it doesn't stop there. You'll also need the .380/200 MKIV. . .

My 4C MP mold suddenly started behaving very nicely at the very end of my last casting session when I was wore out and the pot was almost empty. Hopefully, it decided it was broken in and it gets easier from here. Right now though, I've got the "but 452423's cast easier and hit harder" voice in my head arguing with the "shoot the QUEEN'S bullet for Gawd's sake" voice in my head. It hurts. . .

Well, it IS the Queen's revolver.

MOA
01-20-2015, 09:19 PM
I had a mould from NEI that I had some issues with, I email Joel and told him what the problem was and he emailed me back to mail him back the mould with a note as to the issues and a sample of the boolits that the mould was dropping. That was back in the latter part of December........Have not heard a peep from him or anyone else at NEI. It is your choice as to who you want to do business with, but other than just the one mould from NEI, I have 11 moulds from Lyman, three from RCBS and four from LEE, three that are shotgun and one 45 acp mould. I doubt that I will ever purchase anything from NEI again. Just my 2 cents worth/

MOA
02-01-2015, 08:11 AM
I had a mould from NEI that I had some issues with, I email Joel and told him what the problem was and he emailed me back to mail him back the mould with a note as to the issues and a sample of the boolits that the mould was dropping. That was back in the latter part of December........Have not heard a peep from him or anyone else at NEI. It is your choice as to who you want to do business with, but other than just the one mould from NEI, I have 11 moulds from Lyman, three from RCBS and four from LEE, three that are shotgun and one 45 acp mould. I doubt that I will ever purchase anything from NEI again. Just my 2 cents worth/

Still no news fron Nei:-(

RayinNH
02-01-2015, 10:22 AM
It's a shame too on the NEI's. I have two I'm assuming cut by Walt as I bought them 12-15 years ago, used. They are a joy to use.