PDA

View Full Version : Shaving Brass

WineMan
02-22-2008, 01:24 PM
High all,

loaded many a round in the 1970's but took time off when these sports did not "fit" as well with my grown up direction.

I recently upgraded from the Classic Lee Loader (hammer model) to a set of Lee Deluxe dies for my 1917 Enfield (Eddystone). My friend gave me a bunch of once fired PMC cases from his Garand. I proceeded to FL size them after removing the primer and crimp with the Classic's decaper and Lee chamfer tool and trimming to length.

I cleaned the cases and lubed them with RCBS case lube. Much to my horror the press stopped about 0.300 from the rim and there was brass shaving from the case. With power by armstrong I was able to size the twenty or so cases. I had only the littlest Lee aluminum "C" press and I was really worried I would have some scrap metal for the cost of a few pennies of brass. Just as a check I also FL sized a bunch of 30-40 Krag and 30-30 WCF cases without a hitch (different dies of course). These are shorter cases but I wanted to see if the press's leverage was the culprit. Sizing was firm but no shaving or stopping was encountered.

The Garand fired cases miked at 0.472" just above the rim. Korean M2 ball is at 0.466", the Eddystone fired cases are at 0.469"and the FL sized cases are 0.467". My intention is to now neck size these after firing but the extremely hard FL size had me curious. I checked the dies and there did not appear to be any reason for the brass shaving, no scratches, ridges, grit etc. The expander ball could stand some JB paste but nothing to cause a case to hang up.

Has anyone else had this phenomenon?

Thanks for the help.

Wineman

jonk
02-22-2008, 03:33 PM
I have but not with this caliber. While base enlargement with a semi auto is a known issue, I've never experienced it out of any of mine.

jvg5576
02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
I have had the same issue with the Korean M2 and Indian 7.62x51. Same dies, lube and press.

I found that "stop" point you described at about 0.3" from the rim also. After getting several cases stuck I decided to analyze the situation. It appeared to me that once the die started "shaving" the brass instead of sizing, the case lube was completely ineffective because it was no longer between the die and the brass.

The best I could do was to stop and re-lube several times and go slow. I have not seen any negative effects in these cases after firing a full power load and subsequent FL sizing is "normal".

One more thing- I initially thought that maybe my little Lee "C" frame was flexing while sizing so I tried using a more substantial press. Bad idea. All this did was move that "stop" point further down the base because I couldn't feel the resistance.

oso
02-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Which RCBS case lube? I have an old tube (pre spray and Case Lube 2) almost full except for leakage since I prefer Mink Oil. Imperial Sizing Wax has a good rep.

jvg5576
02-22-2008, 06:16 PM
My experience was with Case Lube-2.

dmftoy1
02-23-2008, 10:27 AM
A recent run of 7.62 x 54R dies from Lee were shaving brass (I got one). I don't think that's your problem, but it's something to consider. (Lee made it right by me in a week and included an extra (different size) expander so I've got no complaints)

I don't know where you got your brass, but I had some one fired LC that I picked up cheap from Midway and it REQUIRED a SB die to resize it the first time or I couldn't even get it to chamber. FWIW.

Regards,
Dave

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Sounds like your friend may have either a very "generous" or worn out chamber. I've resized thousands of Garand-fired cases from my about worn out Garand barrel (lands about gone now, needs a new barrel) and never had the situation you describe.

It may also be you have a very tight die that happened to be manufactured at the close end of tolerances.

Dave

Newtire
02-23-2008, 10:47 AM
I had exacltly the same thing happen with shaving the brass in my Lee die set I bought for the 7.62X54 Russian. I will give them a call & see what they will do. Thanks dmftoy1

WineMan
02-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies! My friend did say he felt that his Garand barrel is shot out. Midway had some Krieger single cut barrels around Christmas time but I don't think he got one. I will give these a try as I have some Lee 160-312 of WCWW waiting for a shot at the big time.

Wineman

dmftoy1
02-24-2008, 07:59 PM
CMP has some Garand barrels for sale. I think their Criterion . . .

My CMP "Special" came with one and and it definately shoots better than I'm capable of holding.

FWIW.

NickSS
02-24-2008, 08:05 PM
I had the same problem with several lee rifle dies when they were brand new. I found that if I liberally lubed the side of the case with spray on lube that it stopped after a few rounds. You had bulged cases and probably not enough lube on the brass as it ran out before you got to the bulge. Some chambers I have seen really give you bulged cases. I have a bolt action Tikka in 30-06 that does it. I only neck size for it after the first shot but it has a max chamber.

Newtire
02-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I'll look a bit closer wehn I get some time again Nick. Don't really want to send things back and wait. I sized the last bunch just short of the spot where they got tigh and am going to try those. They feed thru the rifle & chamber and may be the reason I haven't gotten real good accuracy out of that Mosin-Nagant is that it has a bigger chamber. I'll keep my fingers crossed.