PDA

View Full Version : Running more than one SC mold on a set handles at same time............

Muskyhunter1
01-11-2015, 07:10 AM
When I started boolite molding some 30 plus years ago all I could get (afford) was pretty much a single cavity mold. They pretty much seemed to be the norm in these parts then. As result over the years I have acquired several good single cavity molds.

Even though they drop nice boolites they can be painfully slow to produce any quantity. My thoughts are if I could put two SC molds on one set of large handles I could rock with two of my little molds blocks at once. Kind of like "kill two birds with one stone."

Is it possible and if so has anyone done this? What type of handles/molds?

jsizemore
01-11-2015, 09:43 AM
I bought out an oldtimer that had a nutcracker style set of handles that he made with 2 4-cavity molds mounted on it. The hinge part was welded to one handle and the other handle was held to the hinge with a bolt and locknut. He had a wood box that the handles straddled so he could knock the 2 sprue plates open and dump the boolits. Can't argue with his results. He competed in bullseye and IPSC matches and always finished well. Of course he was ladle casting.

Mike W1
01-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Considering that the handles I've seen pivot rather like a pair of scissors I can't see a way to do it. I'm in the process of shortening a set of handles and it took a lot of filing to get the blocks to close properly when I moved the mould itself closer to the pivot point. I can't imagine getting something filed down to the point that 2 moulds would close properly not to mention how you'd operate the sprue cutters if you did. I'd like to see a picture of the setup mentioned in the post above though!