PDA

View Full Version : Grand Daughter's first reloads.

rintinglen
01-10-2015, 11:17 PM
Yesterday afternoon my Grand Daughter came over for a sleep-over, I didn't expect her so early so I was out in the shed trying out a new 4 cavity NOE 315-115. I pulled the plug on the pot but she was interested in my reloading bench, so I started explaining how you reload empty brass to make new ammunition. She asked if she could try it, so she loaded up 3 327's on my RCBS Turret. The LEE expander die was too much for her, but she managed the rest with no problems. She was very proud that she had made some "buulets for Papa." She is six, "but pretty soon I'll be seven." These are the fruits of her labor. I was a bit concerned that the 315-115 would be too long for my Single Sevens, but it just barely fits when crimped in the crimping groove.
We washed our hands good when we were done. "Cause that's the safety way."

Vinne
01-10-2015, 11:35 PM
Well, you have a great little helper there. Looks like she is on her way to becoming a first class reloader.

I remember years ago when my daughter helped me with reloading and casting. That was some of the best times together. She is 35 now and has little ones of her own. Enjoy these times for they are fleeting. Also, take lots of photos...you will want them later. I wish I did.:-(

joesig
01-10-2015, 11:41 PM
That's great news! Hopefully the die is cast and you will a reloading partner for life.

454PB
01-11-2015, 12:16 AM
I tutored my grandson while he loaded his first box of .308 ammo around Christmas. He had asked me several times when he could load his own ammo for the Ruger American Compact .308 Win. that I bought for him in August when he turned 12. I had him do everything, resize, trim all the cases, prime, and meter and weigh the powder. I'm not biased at all, but he is the quickest study and most careful new reloader I've ever seen.

Big Steve
01-11-2015, 12:53 AM
That's great ! I have 4 grand youngins. Three girls and one boy. Two of the girls love reloading with me. A 6 y.o. and a 2 1/2 y.o. I can't hardly get any loading done when they're around because they slow me down so much when they "help" Pappy reload!

TXGunNut
01-11-2015, 02:04 AM
It does my heart good to see the next generation pulling a lever. Keep up the good work, gents!

Southern Son
01-11-2015, 07:21 AM
Your a lucky fellow to have a little helper, glen.

buckwheatpaul
01-11-2015, 08:58 AM
You know I still remember all the things I did with my Grand Dad's...it was some of those special times that have guided me through out my long life....what you did will be forever etched on your grand daughter's mind and on her heart and in one of those special moments that only grand parents can have with their grand children....congrats....be sure to put those up and give those to her when she has children......Paul

Seeker
01-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Sounds like some special quality time. We'll done!

Bigslug
01-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Youth of America - CORRUPTED! Now, you need to pick up one of those pink youth .22's to keep around. Suck 'em in gradually, and next thing you know, they'll be Realtreed up in the stand next to you.

Calamity Jake
01-11-2015, 04:51 PM
When my granddaughter was 2(now 21 years) she helped me size/lube some 45acp boolits.
I put them in the sizer, she pulled and pushed the handle, mashed my finger more than once.
Wish I had pics.

gwpercle
01-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Nice job! She will have those wonderful memories of reloading with PaPa for the rest of her life!

My daughter used to help me too, then she discovered "boy's" and she forgot all about helping Dad. Let her help you all she can because boy time comes so quickly.
Gary

captaint
01-12-2015, 02:45 PM
I, too, would be very proud. Great work. I have 5 years to go till my granddaughter is 6. Mike

blackthorn
01-12-2015, 03:16 PM
My granddaughter used to "help" me. When she was five, my ex took her Christmas shopping to get me something. She picked out a small ball0point pen that was made as a cartridge. The sales girl asked her why she would buy her Grandpa a pen that looked like a lipstick? The girl then was treated to a detailed explanation as to each component that kames up a reloaded cartridge. The ex said the look on the girls face was priceless! Enjoy them while you can.

rintinglen
01-12-2015, 10:14 PM
My eldest daughter used to prime 30-30's for me using an RCBS hand priming tool, it is her daughter that was helping me make "buulets." Those who said time is fleeting are exactly right. Enjoy all that you can when you can, for time is fleeting. It seems like only yesterday that a skinny 16 year old was hovering over his neighbors Dad's shoulder, learning to cast. Now I am older than both of us put together were then. Whuh happened?

robg
01-13-2015, 10:36 AM
when my granddaughter was about 8 she worked the handle while i put the cases in the holder,now shes to busy playing puter games sigh