PDA

View Full Version : New version of a 150yr. old idea

gpidaho
01-10-2015, 10:54 AM
I've been wanting a no hassle, no holster pocket gun for some time now. Something you can just stick in your pocket and go. Most all that fit this description seem pretty anemic, 380acp, 32auto and 25acp. Well, yesterday I received (from uncle Bud) what I hope fits the niche. It's an over-under 45acp DoubleTap, it came with both 45acp and 9mm three inch ported barrels. The little handgun is only 5/8" thick 5 1/2 long and under 4" in height, it weighs only 13oz. It is very flat and shows no gun print when carried in your pocket. This is not a range gun or good for much except where minute of bad guy is good enough. I haven't fired this yet but it looks as if it might bite on both ends, I'll let you know soon. GP

Harry O
01-10-2015, 11:05 AM
They have one in a gunshop/firing range I go to. They also have a number of rental guns that I have tried from time to time when they get something new in (like the Rhino a while back -- I was glad I tried it instead of buying it -- it was terrible). I asked if they were going to offer one of the derringers for rental. They said no. They said it kicks too much for rentals.

str8wal
01-10-2015, 11:18 AM
I looked into one, but once I found out that both barrels were not regulated to the same POI it kind of killed that idea for me.

gpidaho
01-10-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm not a huge fan of recoil and may never fire this gun more than it takes to get a feel for it (pun intended) Just a pull your **** out of the fire pocket pistol for casual carry. Can't be much worse than my 454 Casull. As for regulation, I can't see that it matters much for three foot social work. GP

big bore 99
01-10-2015, 12:59 PM
I have the American derringer in stainless .45 colt or .410. It sure is a pretty lookin' piece. I've fired it enough to know it works if needed to. It's sure no pleasure to shoot unless you like holding cherry bombs in your hand. I don't know what point of aim might matter for a belly gun, but sure it would do a good job if needed.

bouncer50
01-10-2015, 01:28 PM
Try one in 44 mag you never shoot the second barrel, 44special is bad but 44 mag never again. They also made one in 45-70 it look painful to shoot it.

JSnover
01-10-2015, 01:56 PM
I looked into one, but once I found out that both barrels were not regulated to the same POI it kind of killed that idea for me.
Seriously? How much dispersion was there? I don't think anyone plans to use the Double Tap in Olympic free pistol events.

str8wal
01-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Seriously? How much dispersion was there? I don't think anyone plans to use the Double Tap in Olympic free pistol events.

6" @ 7 yards.

Tatume
01-10-2015, 07:18 PM
I have one of these too. If I ever need it the range will be a small piece of 7 yards, like maybe one yard or less.

big bore 99
01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Or, more like 6". The fire will cauterize the wound.

str8wal
01-10-2015, 07:26 PM
I won't carry any gun I can't hit what I am aiming at, regardless.

Hickok
01-10-2015, 08:11 PM
The best pocket revolver I have ever carried is a j-frame Smith Airweight in .38 special, 2.5 inch barrel, using +P 158gr SWC hp's. Fits nice and neat in front pocket of blue jeans, at times I forget I even have it in my pocket.

With 158 gr it is dead on the sights at 10 yards.

My daughter looked it over one day, and now I have to get another one.

gpidaho
01-10-2015, 08:28 PM
6" at 7yrds. with this mini cannon would please me totally. If Mr. bad guy is that far off I'll figure out another option. There is a 3' circle about my person that I consider mine and one should not enter in a hostile manner. Number one reason for this handgun is up close and I sincerely hope there is no need to use it. EVER! But you have all seen the news lately one needs to be prepared in case of the worst. If one just wants to get a little trigger time to become accustom to the gun seems to me that pretty weak loads could be used for practice. Even and old boy like me can handle 2 to 3gr. of fast powder in the 9mm. GP

rintinglen
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
I have an American Derringer 357. Not a useful weapon, IME, though I have carried it as a last ditch back up. But in my view, if you are going to carry a gun, you need to carry one that you hit an opponent out to at least 20 yards. The notion that you get to choose the range at which you will be attacked is silly. "I'm only going to use it at three feet." An attacker with a knife will be close enough to stab you before he's within range, and a guy with a real gun two car lengths away can mock you while he shoots you. There are better alternatives.

JSnover
01-11-2015, 12:28 AM
Better hope your attacker is more than 6 inches tall, then. Otherwise you might miss with both shots.

.30Calibre
01-11-2015, 12:33 AM
Most all that fit this description seem pretty anemic, 380acp, 32auto and 25acp.
The .45ACP DoubleTap is anemic. Try the new Heiser Defense "PocketAR" (PAR1) derringer style pistols (http://www.gunsandammo.com/network-topics/the-guns-network/first-look-heizer-defense-par1-pocket-ar-pistol/) chambered in .223.

I'm holding out for the .308Win/7.62 NATO version, myself.

35remington
01-11-2015, 03:38 AM
Actually the chronographed velocity they got out of one during the test review I saw what quite decently high, on the order of 820 fps with a 230 out of that stubby barrel. That hardly qualifies as anemic and with ball would probably shoot through bad guys stacked two deep.

Relatively slow rifle powders used in the .223 round and shot through a .223 derringer would yield rather ho hum, pistol level rather than rifle level ballistics.....and I'd bet at those speeds the bullets wouldn't expand. Noisy, yes. Can't see what that would do that a 9mm couldn't do better.

leftiye
01-11-2015, 07:03 AM
I think a 9mm with light boolits (90gr) moderately loaded in a derringer could pass muster as a "pocket peestole." First load I tried in it and in my Kel tek 9mm almost took the skin off of my palm (with plus p Remington golden sabers). Also later got an SCCY 10 shot 9mm, helped that control problem a lot. Much better grip, and more weight.

gpidaho
01-11-2015, 11:05 AM
Good morning all. As with all subjects on forums, each have their own view of the subject at hand. I never meant for this to wander off into the merit of shooting a belly gun in bullseye competition or protecting the cavernous halls of Americas malls in running gun battle and I most certainly have no need of shooting an apple off my assistance head. My attempt was merely to point out how easy this gun was to carry and conceal. We each perceive the threat to our person in different ways depending on life style, occupation and local. We all make our choices in response to our own needs and what fits for me may be altogether wrong for your personal needs. Thanks for ALL your comments. GP

JSnover
01-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Thanks for ALL your comments. GP
Thanks for starting the thread, I thought it was interesting. I already have a Tomcat for CC but if I was in the market for something really small in a serious caliber I would at least consider the Double Tap.

str8wal
01-11-2015, 11:19 AM
The notion that you get to choose the range at which you will be attacked is silly. "I'm only going to use it at three feet."

Precisely!