PDA

View Full Version : head space guage

hound13
01-09-2015, 11:42 PM
will this tell me if my ammo will fit my guns properly o do I need something else I don't like putting ammo in my guns to try them, I was reading this in brownells I need to get each caliber that I load.any info will help. thanks >>hound13

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Are you talking about rifle or pistol ammo? Or both?

hound13
01-09-2015, 11:57 PM
Are you talking about rifle or pistol ammo? Or both?
im talking both hound13

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-10-2015, 12:05 AM
For pistol, I take the barrel off the gun and see if it fits. For rifle, I use the headspace gage mainly to see how much my cases grow when fired and to help set up my fl sizing die to bump the shoulder back. For bullet seating depth, I use the RCBS precision Mic, but I think the Hornady overall length gage is a bit easier to use. Basically, you want to know at what COL your bullet touches the rifling, and seat it either deeper (more bullet jump) or further out (jamming the bullet in the rifling when chambering). I also use the hornady comaparator tool to measure COL in rifle. It takes the measurement from the ogive/bearing surface junction (where the bullet will hit the rifling) to the base of the case.

Youtube is your friend. A quick search will yield videos that will explain this alot better than I have.

wrench man
01-10-2015, 02:09 AM
Headspace gauges tell you if the chamber is in spec or not, it tells you nothing about your ammo.

A case gauge will tell you if your ammo is in spec or not.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-10-2015, 10:45 AM
True, to an extent. I understood what he was talking about.

BUT, he is talking about one of these : http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/271313/lyman-case-length-headspace-gage-308-winchester?cm_vc=ProductFinding

NOT one of these : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/638620/ptg-headspace-go-gage-243-winchester-260-remington-7mm-08-remington-308-winchester-338-federal-358-winchester?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Notice they are both called headspace gages???

They both measure headspace...one on a rifle and one on ammunition. I was not trying to confuse him any further.

hound13
01-10-2015, 11:05 PM
For pistol, I take the barrel off the gun and see if it fits. For rifle, I use the headspace gage mainly to see how much my cases grow when fired and to help set up my fl sizing die to bump the shoulder back. For bullet seating depth, I use the RCBS precision Mic, but I think the Hornady overall length gage is a bit easier to use. Basically, you want to know at what COL your bullet touches the rifling, and seat it either deeper (more bullet jump) or further out (jamming the bullet in the rifling when chambering). I also use the hornady comaparator tool to measure COL in rifle. It takes the measurement from the ogive/bearing surface junction (where the bullet will hit the rifling) to the base of the case.

Youtube is your friend. A quick search will yield videos that will explain this alot better than I have.

seems clear too me thanks.... hound13

MrWolf
01-11-2015, 05:38 PM

Have you tried the chamber buttons such as those by NOE? Trying to figure out as the OP the best approaches. I did take a chamber cast of a leveraction and won't go that route again - what a PITA for your first try making a cast.