PDA

View Full Version : Recieved another Lee mold today

melloairman
01-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Right out of the box with no clean up . The last 3 LH molds I have received I have not touched the pivot screw on . And I will leave this one as is as well . The screw has not loosened on the others and 2 of the 2 cavity molds have yielded more than 200 pounds of bullets each with out a problem . No the cutter does not open by its self nor do I have smears or bad bases . I have started spraying the top of the mold and the bottom of the cutter with dry moly spray lube . Which makes a big difference in the smoothness of the cutter . Marvin
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/IMG_7589-Copy_zps96810669.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/melloroadman/media/IMG_7589-Copy_zps96810669.jpg.html)

mizzouri1
01-09-2015, 10:52 PM
thanks for the info, whats the brand and where do you get it?

Bzcraig
01-09-2015, 11:42 PM
I have shot 1000's of those 105swc, and really like it. It sure helps the lead go a long way. That Boolit with 3grs of Trailboss is like shooting a 22 and it's been accurate for me in snubbies as well as a 6" GP100.

Bzcraig
01-09-2015, 11:44 PM
thanks for the info, whats the brand and where do you get it?

It is from Lee Precision and if you click on the Titan Reloading on the banner above you can check out what you might want and get a fair price with fair shipping.

DrCaveman
01-10-2015, 12:28 AM
Man that looks like a helluva improvement over the one i bought 3 years ago. That was the only Lee mold ive bought that was totally trashed after about 500 rounds. I blame my caveman technique at the time, i hadnt yet found this site and was being a bit...aggressive...with my molds

Still, i always liked how it shot from the snubbie and was a good load for getting the wife comfortable with larger framed 357s.

With those new alignment pins AND the swirly vent lines, it might be time to drop another $22 for a new one. Thanks for sharing

Vulcan Bob
01-10-2015, 02:21 PM
For what its worth I have gotten three of the new style Lee moulds and have been happy with them. I remove the sprue plate and clean up the edges and use wet/dry graphite on the top of the mould as well as the bottom of the sprue plate, pins and pivot. So far so good.

TXGunNut
01-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Awesome value for $20, IMHO. Big improvement over the past few years in Lee 2-cav moulds...and even then they were a good value.

dualsport
01-10-2015, 04:05 PM
I just got a box on my porch, a Midsouth 8mm Karabiner. It's the new style, which I'm liking so far. And it was $17.50.

jmort
01-10-2015, 04:06 PM
^ What TXGunNut said

big bore 99
01-10-2015, 04:19 PM
I have a half dozen Lee molds and couldn't begin to count how many I've cast. Very happy with mine.

melloairman
01-10-2015, 08:30 PM
I did not mention that I use metal free anti seize on the pivot as well as the spray . Filled the pot today with 60-65 on the cabin tree dial [9.5 bhn] lead . Ended up with 16 1/2 pounds of good useable .3585-.359 ,109.5 grain bullets . Will not have to size for 2 of my rifles . I have 1 more rifle that slugged .357 so I will try some pure lead tomorrow and see how it fills and what the diameter will be . If it does not work out I will mix the pure with some 14 bhn lead . Marvin

Littlewolf
01-10-2015, 10:33 PM
i dont know why but every two cavity lee mold ive had including the new style the sprue plate comes loose within the first six pours and by the time the boolits stop being wrinkled the alignment pins start to come out and within the first 200 the handle screws back out what gives? ive lubed the sprue plate pre-heated the molds and treated them with kid gloves while casting.

whiteyphoto
01-11-2015, 12:18 PM
i dont know why but every two cavity lee mold ive had including the new style the sprue plate comes loose within the first six pours and by the time the boolits stop being wrinkled the alignment pins start to come out and within the first 200 the handle screws back out what gives? ive lubed the sprue plate pre-heated the molds and treated them with kid gloves while casting.

My results exactly.
I have used the old style Lees for years but these new ones have driven me to custom molds.

dualsport
01-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Strange. I have many Lee molds of all types, old and new. Not one has failed in any way.

melloairman
01-11-2015, 10:38 PM
My results exactly.
I have used the old style Lees for years but these new ones have driven me to custom molds.
A custom mold maker is what caused me to return to Lee . Marvin

ballistim
01-11-2015, 10:47 PM
I have several custom molds and several Lee molds, and some of the Lee designs are among my favorites; however I must admit that while the value of Lee molds at their purchase price is unequalled I have experienced the problems described on a few of them, and the quality of the molds is not even close to the NOE or MiHec molds I own. I'll still purchase Lee molds in the future as I have I'm the past and my first Lee mold was the Soup Can in 30 caliber back in the early 80's.

Freightman
01-12-2015, 02:56 PM
The new Lee molds are head and shoulders above the old, just got a 230 gr TC .452 drops right out no hitting the handle. Very pleased with the new design will replace my old ones when able.

gwpercle
01-13-2015, 06:41 PM
I really like the new Lee double cavities.
Does spraying the top of the mould and the underside of the cutter with dry moly spray lube contaminate the cavities and cause the wrinkled boolit syndrome . It seems like no matter what I use or how I use it, after putting lube anywhere on the mould, I'm back to contaminated and wrinkled boolits.....but if you don't...the smears and galling will creep back in.
Gary

melloairman
01-13-2015, 10:40 PM
I really like the new Lee double cavities.
Does spraying the top of the mould and the underside of the cutter with dry moly spray lube contaminate the cavities and cause the wrinkled boolit syndrome . It seems like no matter what I use or how I use it, after putting lube anywhere on the mould, I'm back to contaminated and wrinkled boolits.....but if you don't...the smears and galling will creep back in.
Gary
Gary I spray the mold with bullets in the cavities and the mold closed . And the non metal anti seize does not cause problems with the base of the bullets if some gets pulled in . The last time I used one mold that had a sticking cavity when the mold started getting really hot . While the mold was hot I sprayed the inside of the cavities with the moly and it did not cause any problems . And did help the cavity drop better . The next time I use that mold I am going to spray the cavities before they get hot . Marvin

gwpercle
01-14-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks Marvin, Didn't think about spraying with boolits in cavities, closed. Going to find a can of dry moly spray lube right now and give it a try . Waiting for a new Lee Magnum Melter to come in mail, (any day now) . Sat. and Sun. temp. to be mid 60's and wife and kids will be gone.....planning a grand little casting party, dry moly spray might take care of my wrinkly problems
Gary

taco650
01-14-2015, 10:08 PM
I have the Lee two cavity 44-310FPGC and am very happy with it. I smoked it with a wooden match and when it gets hot, it casts good. I also just ordered another Lee two cavity for the 30-06/30-30, the C309-180-R. Can't wait to use it!

Good luck with your new mold.

xringshutr
01-16-2015, 12:14 AM
Probably too much lube on the mold if you are getting wrinkly boolits. Provided your mold and alloy are up to temp. Scrub mold well, let dry, then try again. Use only a TINY amount of lube (preferably Bullplate or synthetic 2 cycle oil). But you probably know all this already. I would steer clear of the aerosol type sprays on molds. Not needed. Maybe a little smoke from a bic lighter the first few casting sessions, but that's really it. KISS method usually better.