View Full Version : Co-owner killed in armed robbery in local gun store

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 07:38 PM
The local dealer that I often use for transfers from out of state purchases
was invaded by 4 armed robbers this afternoon. Sadly, the husband was
killed and the wife injured in the resulting shootout. Two of the robbers were
incapacitated by wounds at the scene and two more excaped on foot, one
wounded. They were quickly captured.

This is really sad, these were really good people running a small gun store that
caters to women shooters. I had them send a copy of an FFL just Wed for
a pistol that will be shipped there. This is in the Kansas side suburb of Shawnee
near Kansas City.

I hope the evil thugs don't survive or at least are maimed for life.
The should get the death penalty, not sure if they will though.

Bill

btroj
01-09-2015, 07:41 PM
Sad to hear that Bill. Hope the wife recovers quickly and that she can keep the shop open.

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Yes, they are nice folks, real friendly and easy to work with, low transfer fees.

What kind of fools try to rob a gun shop?

Bill

merlin101
01-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Never thought any body was stupid enough to try to rob a gunshop! That's really to bad but is also a sign of the times. Hope she recovers quickly and bad guy's die and save the taxpayers $$

btroj
01-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Yes, they are nice folks, real friendly and easy to work with, low transfer fees.

Bill

Dead ones often. We had a guy get shot in Omaha years ago when he tried to rob a pawn shop. Owner shot him dead. Worst of all is that the guys mother came running when she heard someone had been shot because she was sure it was her son. I can proudly say I have never even thought my kid was involved when I hear stories of a robbery on the radio.

MarkP
01-09-2015, 08:03 PM
Horrible, Hopefully they will all get nasty infections and die.

Handloader109
01-09-2015, 08:10 PM
Sad to hear, we had an attempted robbery of a pawn/gun shop in december. Springdale ar. Caught on their security cams and run on the late news. Happened to catch it and about laughed my a$$ off. Two guys entered, one had large duffle bag,I guess that was going to be used to carry out their big haul. Small store, glass cases, they walked around about 30 seconds,one on one side, other on opposite side,clerks on either side, they pulled a gun waved it around and the two clerks pulled their own guns and shooting commenced. One wounded, both caught an hour or so later while getting wounds attended to at a hospital about 60 miles south. The little lady that pulled her revolver was a riot to see in action. Neither clerk was hurt. Just a shame neither of the perps were put 6 under.

Plate plinker
01-09-2015, 08:14 PM
Guess all above mention crooks missed the seminar (being a smart thief 101).

M-Tecs
01-09-2015, 08:19 PM
I lost a friend in 1992 to the same type of thing. The perp's are very lucky I don't get to decide their punishment.

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Brad - good point about not thinking your children are involved - parents have to know what
kind of thugs they raised, or in your case know that they didn't raise a kid capable of that.

Bill

M-Tecs
01-09-2015, 08:53 PM
On the wire http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/owner-dies-after-shootings-at-suburban-kansas-city-gun-shop/ar-AA7YLXS

exile
01-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Very sad. I grew up in Kansas City and thought it might have been The Bullet Hole when I saw the headline. So sorry to hear about your friends.

exile

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Leaving for the Bullet Hole in a few minutes. Usually visit on Friday nights, hard habit to break
after 34 yrs of competition in the basement every Friday night. I'm sure it will be a topic of
conversation.

Bill

leeggen
01-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Couple weeks ago a gun shop I go to once in awhile was robbed. The thugs broke in at night and were on camera. Haven't heard as whether the Columbia police have caught them yet. I always hate to hear about a gun shop being robbed, that means thugs are getting braver and or dumber.
Hope all workd out for the lady.
CD

freebullet
01-09-2015, 10:48 PM
What a sad story indeed.

The pawn shop I use for occasional transfers was just robbed a week or so ago. Between fees, taxes, and other thieves it's a wonder any mom & pop shops survive at all.

DougGuy
01-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Man that SUCKS! I used to rent from a gun store owner in Norfolk, VA. He kept his door locked, and would only admit ONE at a time.

One guy got the bright idea to rob him one day after he had just bonded out of jail in Va Beach on two counts of armed robbery. A fight ensued and the store owner as he was going down under strongarm attack drew his S&W airweight and emptied in the thug. When the EMTs got there boolits were falling out of the back of his jacket when they dragged him out onto the floor to work on him. Detectives found an Iver Johnson .25 auto under one of the sales counters, round in the chamber, safety on. The store owner said he heard a click as the man was following him into the store, must have been the safety being applied instead of placed in the fire position. When he turned the thug had the autopistol pointed at his face and was trying to pull the trigger but it never fired.

Later, detectives came back to the store to inquire about the loads used in the .38, they were Hydrashok +P+ alternating with PMC ultramags. The ultramags had penetrated fully, only stopping at the leather jacket the guy had on.

MaryB
01-09-2015, 11:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend and I hope the death penalty gets used. I have zero tolerance for anyone using a gun to commit a crime.

Been a gun shop near me that has been robbed twice after hours by the same crew of orientals. They use a stolen car to ram through the front doors then load up a stolen van and drive off. Haven't heard of any arrests yet but the security camera captured them and they know it is a gang out of Minneapolis. They only take pistols, never long guns.

Frank46
01-09-2015, 11:51 PM
We had a similar thing here in Louisiana. Two guys robbed a small town gun shop. Then at night they tried the same thing at the same store. Owner was in the store at the time and when one of the would be robbers pointed a gun at him he opened up and shot both of them and I believe killing both. So far from what I have seen on the tube the investigation is still ongoing but at this point in time no charges are expected to be filed against the owner. Few years back same thing happened to a gun shop/pawn shop owner here in town. They killed the owner and are now doing life at angola prison. Frank

Mtnfolk75
01-10-2015, 12:04 AM
I responded to a smash & grab at LGS in about 1997, was first on scene within about 90 seconds of dispatch. The audible alarm was still sounding but the perps were GOA. They took about 10 long guns & 4 or 5 pistols IIRC. I was the substation Investigator and Night Supervisor so I started twisting my snitches. Took 2 or 3 days but I got some good info & arranged an undercover buy, arrested 1 and recovered a couple of the long guns. Twisted my arrestee and over the next 12 hours was able to recover all the guns from that burglary plus an M-16 & 870 that had been taken during an auto burglary of an Tree Cop's PPV. Ended up with 3 additional arrest & closed several other burglaries based on stolen property recovered during search warrants. I always loved a Happy ending. Sorry about your friend, may he Rest In Peace. I hope his wife recovers completely, the bad guys not so much.

retread
01-10-2015, 12:56 AM
Sorry to hear of the loss of a good man. Unfortunately I think we will be hearing a lot more of these stories in the future. I just turned 69 and remember days when this type of thing was extremely rare. Glad I am not any younger. :-(

ksfowler166
01-10-2015, 01:06 AM
I read about it a little bit ago and was going to post it on here. My first thought before reading it was that who is stupid enough to rob a gun store. My second somewhat wistful thought was that the robbers were killed or injured and the owner was okay. Well after looking at the article I hoped it was not the Bullet Hole. I have been there before and the owner is a very nice old man.

Personally I am a proponent of the right to an expedient execution. Meaning it takes at most 6 months to execute someone instead of 20 years.

A couple years ago we had a group of Mexicans that cased a local gun store. Later they broke in during the night and store several firearms. I don't remember ever hearing if they were caught.

knifemaker
01-10-2015, 01:29 AM
Criminals will do anything to obtain firearms. For the past 30 years most gunshops in my area have all their clerks armed. Most pack a 1911 or glock on their person. Guns to a criminal are good as cash to sell to other criminals on the black market. As a cop I remember raiding numerous drug dealers with a search warrant and always coming up with stolen guns that they took in trade for dope. One dealer we raided had 32 guns stacked up in a corner of his bedroom. Out of those 32 guns, we were only able to ascertain that 2 or 3 were listed as stolen in the NCIC computer and taken in burglaries. We were able to locate several owners of other guns that had been stolen in burglaries, but the owners were unable to provide the officer taking the report with any serial numbers so they could be listed in the crime computers. If you have not done it yet, make a list of your guns listing make, model number, caliber, and serial number. Also type of finish such as stainless steel or blue finish. and any custom touches. Keep that list in a safe place in the event of a theft. You would be surprised how many guns get back to their owner if they provided that information during a theft. Just do not do like one of my victims did. His list was in the gun safe and the thieves took that safe also in the burglary. Doing some leg work, I was able to obtain serial numbers of three of his guns from the local shop where he bought them and we later recovered those guns and arrested the suspects.

MtGun44
01-10-2015, 02:05 AM
I was worried it was the Bullet Hole, too. Rich, the owner, is a friend - have bought from him and his
guys for more than 30 years, since the Hodgdons sold it to him. The guy that was killed wasn't as long
an association, but I had done several deals with him and his wife. Nice, knowledgeable gun people
making a living in a small shop. A real shame, hope the perps get a lot of bad stuff, however it happens.

I'm thinking all of them are up for first degree murder.

Bill

osteodoc08
01-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Very sad indeed. Very courageous to go down swinging. Glad he took some of them down. At least (the dead thugs) won't be around to breed.

cbrick
01-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Death penalty case in my book. Shame if it had to happen that it wasn't in Texas, they actually carry out the penalty there. California courts issue the death penalty often but CA's fool proof method of execution is a problem. They use old age as an execution, if the guy sits there for enough years he's sure to kick off, sooner or later, eventually. Pretty sad when the moron outlives the relatives of his victim(s).

Rick

Jbiker
01-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Knowing where your kid's are...This topic just turned a lite on in my head ! My son's own and operate a gun store in southern New Hampshire...never really thought much about why everybody was carrying in the store...on both sides of the counter....myself included...the idea of someone trying to rob a gun shop never entered my mind....must be an age thing... so that lead's me to a thought about the "lowest common denominator " of intelligence of some segment's of this young population...

TXGunNut
01-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Hard to imagine how stupid someone has to be to try to rob a gun store, saddens me to hear that one of the owners died helping to show them the error of their ways.

MtGun44
01-10-2015, 06:29 PM
Time for gun store owners to get some Kevlar on, too, sad to say.

Bill

WILCO
01-10-2015, 06:38 PM

Bill

The criminal kind.

Char-Gar
01-10-2015, 06:41 PM
In the Mid-80s there was a robbery of a gun store in Las Cruces New Mexico that resulting in the shooting death of one or more of the employees.

swheeler
01-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Get a rope or chain, let his widow drive and "paint the town".

nicholst55
01-10-2015, 09:16 PM
We had a similar tragedy in Maryland about 1991 in a little mom-n-pop gun store. The husband had died about a year earlier, and his widow kept the shop open. She and her best friend sat there in comfortable chairs all day long chatting, and dealing with customers as they arrived. They let you wander freely behind the counter to fondle the merchandise, which I though was extremely poor security. At any rate, two juvenile thugs robbed them, and shot both women multiple times in the face. They were captured several months later trying to sell some of the handguns that they had stolen. Maryland doesn't execute people who badly deserve it unless the circumstances are truly heinous, so those two thugs are being supported for the rest of their lives by the taxpayers of that state. After the trial I spoke to a Maryland State Trooper who shall remain anonymous, and he was deeply disappointed that the two thugs had surrendered and didn't try to shoot their way out.

Just another reason I'm happy to have escaped that Democratic paradise.

Plate plinker
01-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Seems there should be a law on the books that mandates a harsher punishment for attempting or successfully robbing a gun shop. A hard line if you will, maybe double the penalty for a normal robbery.

wv109323
01-10-2015, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hear of the death of your friend. We had a smash and grab at a local pharmacy. The pharmacy had been robbed before and had all the strong stuff in a safe.
The thieves stole ******, cigarettes and candy bars.

MaryB
01-11-2015, 02:31 AM
pointing a gun during a robbery: Life. Fire the gun: death sentence, doesn't matter if anyone was hit or not because they showed a willingness to end a human life. If they confess or there is hard evidence like video showing them at the scene the death sentence is carried out immediately, no appeals, out the door to the nearest tree and hang them.

If we do not start removing this criminal element permanently we are going to be in big trouble down the road. Prisons are training grounds for crime. Prisons need to get rid of all the gym equipment, all the TV's, all the radios, no luxuries whatsoever. Make them work, hard labor, when not working or eating confined to the cage with no contact with anyone else. And above all islam must be banned from prison!

MtGun44
01-11-2015, 02:56 AM
Good ideas, all, Mary - just too many liberal fools in the way to get it done.

Bill

BrassMagnet
01-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Conservative tree house has named the four thugs. Surprise, surprise! They are Minority Urban Youths (MUY). Can you hear Hands Up! Don't Shoot! yet?

alrighty
01-11-2015, 08:08 AM
Very sad news and a testament to the world we live in today.

trooperdan
01-12-2015, 05:20 PM
Good work Mtnfolk75! Excellent to read of your actions!

daniel lawecki
01-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Sorry to here that hope she recovers. Sad part the dirt bags lawyer will stand in court and say they are good kids.

richhodg66
01-13-2015, 12:28 AM
http://www.kshb.com/news/crime/shawnee-gun-store-murder-suspect-appears-in-court-for-first-time

MtGun44
01-13-2015, 01:42 AM
Filthy, hate-filled, barbaric feral humans. They are the ultimate poster boys for
the death penalty.

"Johnson County prosecutors have charged Hakeem Willie Malik, 18,
Londro Emanuel Patterson, 19, Deanthony Armond Wiley, 19, and
Nicquan Ke-Aaron Midgyett, 19, with felony first-degree murder."

Read more: http://www.kctv5.com/story/27821966/murder-charges-filed-after-shootout-at-shawnee-gun-shop#ixzz3OgGjUjNv

Looks like these thugs were involved in 5 other armed robberies in recent days.

A statement by the surviving co-owner, makes it sound as if she may have been
knocked out of the fight by the blow to the face (pistol whipped??) at the beginning.

She said that the husband "saved her life because he was armed", implying perhaps she
never was able to get into the fight. If so, 4 on one and getting three of them is pretty impressive,
although horrible odds, and not likely to be survivable. What a brave man.

Bill

Three44s
01-13-2015, 03:41 AM
Hang the whole lot with one old raspy rope! The ones packin' the store owner's lead got no possible alibi ...... and thus should have no right to an appeal!

Sad for the deceased shop owner and injured widow! Very sad!

Three 44s

GaryN
01-13-2015, 07:02 PM
Scumbags!!!

BrassMagnet
01-13-2015, 09:22 PM
From their recent criminal histories, do you get the impression a judge failed us by letting them walk and continue their lives of violent crime? I don't believe we can fault the cops. The cops caught them and the judge released them.

C. Latch
01-13-2015, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear of this, and sorry to hear that two of the thugs survived.

C. Latch
01-13-2015, 09:34 PM
Couple weeks ago a gun shop I go to once in awhile was robbed. The thugs broke in at night and were on camera. Haven't heard as whether the Columbia police have caught them yet.
CD

If you're referring to Columbia, TN, then I know the store you're talking about and I do believe the thugs were arrested.

MtGun44
01-14-2015, 12:51 AM
All of the thugs survived, sad to report. Three were shot, apparently two
pretty seriously. I can still hope that they die.

Bill

9.3X62AL
01-14-2015, 01:24 AM
all of the thugs survived, sad to report. Three were shot, apparently two
pretty seriously. I can still hope that they die.

Bill

mrsa, mrsa, mrsa!

C. Latch
01-14-2015, 01:11 PM
All of the thugs survived,

I assumed otherwise from your first post. My apologies.

I hate to wish death upon anyone, but it's the only proper remedy for murderers, and it's much, much, much cheaper, and I'd argue that it's even more just, for them to die of their wounds at the hands of their victim, than to tie up the court system and waste millions of dollars and decades of time getting killed by the state.

762 shooter
01-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Condolences to the widow of that brave man.

We should all re-examine how serious each of us take our personal defense.

MtGun44
01-15-2015, 02:39 AM
One of the key issues when the SHTF in a gunfight, just has to be finding
some sort of cover or concealment.

However, I know that store pretty well and it is about 15-18 ft wide, and the
counter is in about 25 ft from the front door, comes half way across at 90 deg and
then angles towards the rear of the store at 45 deg. There is a door to the back
room about 15 ft farther back. Just NO PLACE to move to cover for the owners,
really, although the glass topped counter is a bit of something, and the same is
true for the thugs. I keep thinking of 1 on 4, that is pretty grim odds without a
place to get cover, although I hope she was able to get into it, too.

Bill

9.3X62AL
01-15-2015, 01:06 PM
This appears to be a fairly well-practiced "robbery crew" takeover caper, a thing we see a LOT of in southern California. These goblins WILL SHOOT YOU if challenged or engaged, so as a citizen self-defender caught in the middle of such an event--either as a business owner/employee or as a bystander/customer--keep in mind that such offenders will do their best to put you and keep you at disadvantage in terms of layout, numbers, and overt/covert actors. In short, plan NOW for such an occurrence. Banks and gun stores are the most common targets of these heists. I do most of my banking online to avoid entering such buildings, based on my career experience. Banks are just one click below parking structures after dark on my list of danger zones to avoid if at all possible. None of us become larger than our environment by virtue of CCW. When I took these barstads on for real, it was done wearing body armor--often hard-shell--and with M-16A2 or AR-15. This is no country for handguns.

Holding up a gun store is pretty stupid, as has the result of this robbery in K.C. metro area shown--but we lost a good man in the process, and his poor wife has to live with this outcome for the rest of her life. I applaud the man's grit and courage for not going down without a fight, and it isn't my place to critique his performance--someone did hit 3 out of 4 perps. It is just a shame to lose a businessman that made meaningful contributions to his community at the hands of such low-life, violent, psychopathic/sociopathic vermin. Still praying for M.R.S.A. to do its work on these evil SOBs. It is pretty prevalent in medical institutions, you know. :)

Smoke4320
01-15-2015, 01:21 PM
pointing a gun during a robbery: Life. Fire the gun: death sentence, doesn't matter if anyone was hit or not because they showed a willingness to end a human life. If they confess or there is hard evidence like video showing them at the scene the death sentence is carried out immediately, no appeals, out the door to the nearest tree and hang them.

If we do not start removing this criminal element permanently we are going to be in big trouble down the road. Prisons are training grounds for crime. Prisons need to get rid of all the gym equipment, all the TV's, all the radios, no luxuries whatsoever. Make them work, hard labor, when not working or eating confined to the cage with no contact with anyone else. And above all islam must be banned from prison!

Amen to that !!!

swheeler
01-15-2015, 01:51 PM
I like Al's idea and truely believe they deserve mrsa. Hopefully it will emerge on their genitals, or eye ball, maybe inside the ear. I will pray they receive mrsa, I believe in mrsa.

MaryB
01-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Toss in a noro virus so they puke their guts up as they die...

9mmsubgun-m11
01-15-2015, 11:40 PM
I read about this on UziTalk a few days ago. I hope they get what they deserve-a heart that no longer beats.

DoubleAdobe
01-19-2015, 11:24 AM
To Mary's point that the prison/jail system is a training ground for these creeps.
Many years ago, I heard the classification level that a young violent offender with a long sentence referred to as "gladiator school". Not a pleasant place to work for obvious reasons. Try to motivate a young, violent, impulsive jerk to not be same when looking at 10-40 years.
Special techniques are called for.

thegatman
01-19-2015, 11:41 AM
So sorry. Security should get better in gun shops. Times are a changing.

trooperdan
01-19-2015, 12:28 PM
There is a GoFundMe web site for the shop and the widow. http://www.gofundme.com/jzjvjo.

9.3X62AL
01-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Double Adobe, "gladiator school" is the sobriquet given to all of the California Youth Authority institutions here in The People's Republic Of TrainTracksToNowhereistan (just like Russia). Ah yes, turn loose all the predators via AB 109 and Prop 47 while making firearms more difficult for citizens to get. Whose logic is THAT??

Clay M
01-25-2015, 04:28 PM
It would seem that a gun shop is a poor choice to rob. The one I worked in, everyone there was well armed and very capable shots.
Sorry to hear of this misfortune.

Thin Man
01-26-2015, 06:39 AM
Bill, very sorry to hear about your loss. I hope all goes well for the survivor, and that appropriate measures are taken against those responsible for this act.

Reading your summary was unsettling as it brought back a memory from the early 80's. My wife and I were traveling through Virginia on vacation and saw signs advertising the largest gun shop in the area. I just had to stop and she tolerated the break in driving. The shop had a large a diverse inventory and I settled on a specific purchase. Paid for the item and shipping to our home state and was ready to leave when a really nasty storm hit the area. Electric power was knocked out and we waited for an hour for the weather to recover. The rain slowed but didn't stop. The shop owner decided to close down early and invited wife and I to dinner at his home. We accepted. Their modest home was dark from power outage so I got our Coleman lantern to light up the home. Met the owner's wife and family, ate dinner, and he insisted we tour the new home they were finishing building. We accepted the invite but insisted on leaving the lantern with his family. Wow! What a home. Built with IIRC swamp cedar, it was large with all the planning and special appointments one could add. Absolutely gorgeous and would be ready for move-in within 2 months. After the visit we got back on the road (left the lantern with them).

I kept that owner's business card and was back in the area about 15 years later, but there were no signs of the shop on the highway. I asked a few locals and finally found one who recalled that about 14 years back (about 1 year after our visit) two or three thugs tried a hold-up of the store. The owner shot one of them but they escaped, however their shots killed the owner. One of the thugs was ready for prison release, one would stay a bit longer. And here I sit with a sour stomach even telling the story about the stranger who became a friend and who was taken away too soon. He was a good man with a wife and young children. And his story, like Bill's friend, is repeated all too often.

Thin Man