PDA

View Full Version : Powder measure stand use?

daengmei
01-09-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm interested in mounting my RCBS powder measure so it is directly over and in line with my powder through dies. Is this common? Anybody use one of these and willing to send some rough dimensions? Stand height to bottom of hole? Width from stand to hole center? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/125792/rcbs-advanced-powder-measure-stand?cm_vc=subv125792 None of the adds comment on the use of this above the dies and I want to make sure before purchasing. I don't have a real problem making one...I did make a crude one with plywood, steel would be easy enough just thought to check before spending.

country gent
01-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Mine is made from Steel It has a nice foot print and 3 holes for bolts or screws ( it could be made from a bigger plate and sit under press and held down with those bolts also. The upright is 1" round stock with a clamp bar and sliding end so it can be adjusted up or down and in or out easily. Keep in mind that it will need to be raised or measure removed to change the dies out. Easiest way to figure this out is to cut a card board form of the base. A card board tube to get hieght and then measure from center of tube to center of die. Mine is a solid end as I use a harrels with c clamp style mount on it, otherwise a 7/8 14 hole will need to be tapped in it. Make up your protype and then start cutting steel to your forms.

vwpieces
01-11-2015, 01:12 AM
its hard to understand exactly what you are wanting to accomplish.
But you may be going in a direction away from what all others have done.
Why wouldn't you just mount the powder measure ON the die?
Do you have a picture of the Wood mount you made? Would be easier to understand, seeing what you explain.

W.R.Buchanan
01-11-2015, 03:56 PM
You have too many unknown variables to recommend an exact solution,,, However,,,

I assume you want to mount the PM directly above a funnel that is on top of a powder thru die? If so there is a flat plate from RCBS that is used to mount the PM on the edge of a table. This used in conjunction with some kind of riser would be what you are looking for.

It needs to be mounted behind the press and the top plate needs to be able to rotate out of position so you can change the dies.

A regular PM stand will not do this, as it won't rotate.

The riser could be made from a piece of plate with a piece of round stock standing vertically to the correct height. Then the RCBS mount plate (or one you make) would be held on top of that by one bolt. The upright would have one 1/4-20 hole drilled and tapped in either end. One would secure it to the base plate and the other would attach the RCBS mount.

Then the only variable would be the height you need to be right for your application.

This is as close as anyone can get to telling you what to do.

Randy

daengmei
01-11-2015, 05:48 PM
mount the PM directly above a funnel that is on top of a powder thru die
This is it, sorry about being "cryptic" or confusing. Now I'm clearer...thanks WR.
I just thought that maybe the ones sold were able to do this. Mounting with the swing away is the idea I needed. Thanks again.
Jim

daengmei
01-21-2015, 07:15 PM
Still planning on a movable stand of some type but noticed this... http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1370

I know, buy and let us know but any thoughts or someone having used something similar?

country gent
01-21-2015, 07:42 PM
The heavier taller RCBS measure may strain the o_rings holding it to the die. One made with the die threads and length wull probably work better with a heavier measure