PDA

View Full Version : 1901 Remington Rolling Block

offshore44
01-09-2015, 06:06 PM
Stopped by my firearms purveyor to say "high" today on my way back from picking up a prop for my boat.

While browsing through the racks of stuff, I ran across a 1901 Remington RB in 7mm. It's all there and looks to be in very nice shape for a 100+ year old rifle. The bore does look shot out though. Well, maybe cleaned out is a better description. The rifling is about gone at the muzzle.

So, what could a guy do with that rifle? What should I be looking at / for?

pietro
01-09-2015, 06:14 PM

AFAIK, the only way to fix the worn rifling, w/o replacing the barrel, would be to shorten the barrel enough to remove the damaged area, crown the new muzzle, & relocate the front sight aft of the new muzzle.

If the shortening would put the finished length at less than 16" (measured properly from the empty/closed breechblock face to the muzzle), then a barrel replacement would be your only viable option.

For a RB of that age, I would also be looking very hard at the fit of the BB & hammer pivot pins themselves, as well as the fit to their respective receiver holes on each side.

kens
01-09-2015, 06:17 PM
I guess it all depends on the price.
Is it in good enough condition to be valued by the purists?
If the bore is shot out, the purists likely will take a pass on it though.
So, your left with rebarrelling it.
I would look for the action to be in good shape, accept the fact you need a new barrel, and bicker the price because the barrel is shot out.
Take it home and start shopping for a new barrel.

offshore44
01-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks Folks. I know exactly squat about these rifles. A single shot in 38-55 / .375 Winchester is on the wish list though. Doing some quick math, I can get a Ruger #1 and have it re-barreled for about the same or maybe a little less.

No_1
01-09-2015, 09:25 PM
I would have it relined. This would retain the original look but allow you to change the twist if you desire.

JHeath
01-09-2015, 09:50 PM
If it's just near the muzzle, you can try counterboring it. Saves the original length and appearance.

Nobade
01-09-2015, 09:54 PM
What do they want for it? Ron Peterson here in town has one that looks like new for $695 right now. It would have to be really cheap to beat that after a new barrel was installed.

-Nobade

01-09-2015, 10:21 PM
Get a liner installed if you want it to be a shooter. A piece of history-?-hang it on the wall.

Nueces
01-09-2015, 10:37 PM
I think a shot out 7 mm can make a fine rebore in 30-40 Krag.

offshore44
01-10-2015, 02:24 PM
After giving it careful consideration, that Remington is staying where it is. I would be into it way more than a single shot plinker is worth to me by the time it was done. It was fun handling it though!