PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new Luber/sizer

Catch
02-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Have been using two sizers for years. My newer one, an RCBS still works well, but the old Lyman (35 years old) has finally given out. If I get one new one that will use the same dies as the RCBS (and Lyman) which one do you members recommend? I do not do that many at one time, but I do cast alot of different sizes, using approximately 40 different molds. Thanks for your ideas. I've been doing this for almost 50 years and I'm not up on the new products all that well. At my age I'm kind of low and slow and having a good time. Catch:coffee:

454PB
02-22-2008, 01:32 AM
Hi Catch, welcome to the forum!

What happened to the Lyman? I've had some breaks and failures, and was always able to get it going again.

I've never used the RCBS sizer, I have two Lyman 450's that are both old and well used (and repaired), and a Star sizer. From what I've read and heard, the RCBS is a fine machine. I guess if I were in your position, I'd probably buy another RCBS, only because of their excellent repair and warranty reputation.

Catch
02-22-2008, 02:01 PM
The toggles on the lyman are rather worn, but the worst part is that no matter what die you use, when you get it warm enough to work well, the bullet lube squirts out between the die and the hole that it fits into. The old Lyman tools held the die in by a set screw and when worn they tend to hold the die back against the worn side of the hole letting the lube out that way before it fills the bullet correctly. Without making an insert or bushing of some type I don't see how I can fix it. The tool also doesn' have the leverage required for old hands and wrists to use. Thanks for your reply..Catch

454PB
02-22-2008, 02:16 PM
I got a repair kit for my oldest Lyman that replaces the handle, all the toggle linkage and center ram. I did this after breaking those side toggle links for about the fourth time. As to the leakage, I assume you mean around the O-ring at the top of the die. Have you tried a new O-ring?

I've finally quit trying to size boolits that are more than a few thousandths oversize or made up of very hard alloy in any of my lubrisizers. I now use Lee push through sizers first, then run them through the lubrisizer for lubing.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

GP100man
02-23-2008, 08:49 PM
sounds like catch is talkin bout a lyman45 sizer.
i think ??
i like my 450s & with all the sizers & punches being lyman ,id buy a 4500 it has a nice ball handle too.

GP100man :cbpour:

Just Duke
03-01-2008, 02:14 AM
Need new O ring on the die.

TAWILDCATT
03-01-2008, 12:23 PM
do you have "O" rings on your dies.the old 45 did not have them.If you can get the groove cut in the dies and go to the hardware store and pick up yhe "O" rings to fit.all the lubers are based on the Lyman,dont believe me look at old cat.the saeco looks like the first or second Lyman.I have two 45 lymans.and a Mepos.
:coffee:---[smilie=1:---:Fire:

calaloo
03-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Got an old 45 lubrisizer I bought used many years ago in good shape. I cast the size I need so only use it for lubing. Still works like new. I don't think I have any dies without "O" rings, no leakage at all.

Bill

willwork4ww
04-01-2008, 05:07 AM
40 different moulds pretty well eliminates Star, unless you're made of money for sizing dies, so RCBS gets my vote.

Springfield
04-01-2008, 12:13 PM
willwork: You need a size die for every diameter for EVERY sizer, not just Stars. They just cost more. And maybe he has 35- 45 caliber moulds, and 5- 38 caliber moulds. Would take just 2 dies. I love my Stars. And they don't wear out. And they have plenty of leverage, making it easier for old guys.

mister gizmo
04-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Take a look at the attached pics. I'm selling these for a friend who's not casting anymore. I think one is a Lyman, although it's not marked, and I don't know the model. The RCBS is a RAM II.

Neither has any top punches or sizing dies other than what's in them right now.

Any ID would be helpful. I'm selling both here on the Boolit forum.

Sundogg1911
04-01-2008, 02:35 PM
the orange one is a Lyman 45.

Sundogg1911
04-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Springfield,
I think He's saying He already has the dies to fit Lyman/RCBS, so He doesn't want to switch to a Star. that was my concern until I found out how much faster the Stars are. I have 3 now, and only use my Lyman for some odd ball stuff. It's a great press, just way slow compared to a Star

gcf
04-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Take a look at the attached pics. I'm selling these for a friend who's not casting anymore. I think one is a Lyman, although it's not marked, and I don't know the model. The RCBS is a RAM II.

Neither has any top punches or sizing dies other than what's in them right now.

Any ID would be helpful. I'm selling both here on the Boolit forum.

For the record, what is the asking price? Thanks in advance.