PDA

View Full Version : Broomhandle Help

Herb in Pa
01-09-2015, 02:48 PM
I've decided to try some cast out of my 30 Mauser broom. I've got some 75 grain 32cal cast that I plan to resize. The lightest bullet load I can find is for an 85 grainer. Any one fooled around with a 75 grain??

.30Calibre
01-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Any one fooled around with a 75 grain??

I realize the following isn't for cast, but maybe you can extrapolate:

71gr Remington .32ACP FMJ 0.309dia
Accurate No.7, 6.0gr, Win SPP, COAL 1.298", notes: Working charge, light duty, action cycles; projectile is .32ACP pulled and sized to .309, projectile OAL is .420

71gr PMC Bronze .32ACP FMJ 0.309dia
Accurate No.7, 6.0gr, Win SPP, COAL 1.298", notes: Working charge, light duty, action cycles; projectile is .32ACP pulled and sized to .309dia, projectile OAL is .453

73gr Sellier & Bellot .32ACP FMJ 0.308dia
Accurate No.7, 6.5gr, Win SPP, COAL 1.297", notes: Working charge, light duty, action cycles; projectile is .32ACP, pulled, already factory sized to .308dia., projectile OAL is .472

...data above assumes your Broom has a tight bore (approx .308dia - .309dia).

http://s10.postimg.org/8nm1lbafp/4brooms.jpg (http://s10.postimg.org/6j1ok88t5/4brooms.jpg)

leftiye
01-10-2015, 08:51 AM
I don't have one, but from what I've heard you can't load them up much. The case is almost identical to the Russian 7.62X25, but its standard pressures are much lower.

Herb in Pa
01-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info, I'll give those reduced loads a try. I've loaded fot the Tokarev and wouldn't even consider running one through a broom.

rintinglen
01-11-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't have one, but from what I've heard you can't load them up much. The case is almost identical to the Russian 7.62X25, but its standard pressures are much lower.

The Mauser round was loaded to 1410-1420 fps with an 86 grain FMJ and was the high velocity champ of its day. The Tokarevs were loaded lighter initially for use in handguns, though some Submachinegun ammunition was loaded substantially hotter. Some of which was running in excess of 1600 fps, which might indeed be hazardous. There is some data in older Lyman Manuals, but not for a 71-75 grain boolit.
As a total aside, I am surprised at how many of these old pieces are still in use. One would think that they would be forgotten relics of a time gone by, but I still see them every once in a while pop up at the range.

leftiye
01-12-2015, 08:00 AM
There's a lot of folks buying and shooting old(er) guns nowadays. I'd say more than any time in my life. Me too! (And you've just gotta be able to see how cool a Broomhandle Mauser is.)

I'm just recently realizing that most of the new stuff has no interest to me. Either I don't need it (my 6mm kills everything I can see - or my .375 H&H improved will or .45-100 will, or....), or the BS level of the new mumbo jumbo is too much of a turn off.

Herb in Pa
01-12-2015, 02:02 PM
There's a lot of folks buying and shooting old(er) guns nowadays. I'd say more than any time in my life. Me too! (And you've just gotta be able to see how cool a Broomhandle Mauser is.)

I'm just recently realizing that most of the new stuff has no interest to me. Either I don't need it (my 6mm kills everything I can see - or my .375 H&H improved will or .45-100 will, or....), or the BS level of the new mumbo jumbo is too much of a turn off.

I feel the same way. a buddy just picked up a classic commercial FN Mauser in 270 at a local gunshop. The gunshop owner said most people turned their noses up since it wasn't in a synthetic stock or a new whiz bang caliber. Their loss was his gain!! I like to get my old warhorses out and shoot them from time to time...it's amazing some folks don't recognize a Krag, Springfield, Enfield, etc.

Bulldogger
01-12-2015, 02:20 PM
I'm not able to comment on how that round performs because my old Broom is having lockup problems, so I didn't get to test my loads.

But speaking in context of keeping (very) old warhorses running, does anyone know a good gunsmith for broomhandles?

Bulldogger

missionary5155
01-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Greetings
No I do not know a Broom Smithy but I have 3 of those fine ol' examples of German engineering. There used to be a Broom web site and may still be in service. Found it... northwest-denture.com/mauser1896/ Yea I know it makes ya wonder but it is for real. I did not see any Smithy info.
Mike in Peru...

.30Calibre
01-12-2015, 03:13 PM
...my old Broom is having lockup problems...But speaking in context of keeping (very) old warhorses running, does anyone know a good gunsmith for broomhandles?

There is a yahoo group for C96 owners you might want to hit up if you are looking for other opinions specific to Broomhandles. The Jan Still Luger forums sub-group for C96's is also an excellent resource. The question about a reputable gunsmith for Brooms has been asked often over the years; i never did recall seeing a solid answer with a name and address (in the US). There are a few folks that "restore" them like Ted Green's Luger Strawing Service, and a few folks that "reline" the barrels, but they don't appear to be C96 gunsmiths in the literal sense of the term. Might be worthwhile to inquire with those folks for leads on actual gunsmithing work. What sort of lockup problem are you getting? PM me offline if you would like to discuss...