PDA

View Full Version : Queston about die set

milsurpaddict
01-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Hello

can someone explain to the difference between collet die set and the traditional lee pacesetter rifle set. I am reloading for a k31 in 7.5 X 55 and the brass I will be using will be a mixture of privi 7.5 X 55 and reformed Winchester 238.

Thanks

mdi
01-09-2015, 02:30 PM
A collet die uses a collet that is activated by the case to squeeze the case mouth for either sizing, squeezing the case against a mandrel, or crimping, squeezing the case mouth into/onto the bullet (two different dies). The "normal" sizing die "swages" the case by pushing it into a cavity shaped like the cartridge...

I believe the Pacesetter dies use a full length size die, a bullet seating die, and a factory crimp die (for rifles a collet die). A Collet die set uses a collet sizing die, neck sizing only, and a bullet seating die.http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/rifle-dies/

milsurpaddict
01-09-2015, 02:39 PM
Thank you so much I should have read a little more before I asked the question. I appreciate your help.

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 06:37 PM
A collet sizer will not set back the shoulder, it is just a neck sizer, so brass fired in the same rifle
will work fine, but if fired in a rifle with a slightly larger chamber, you will not be able to chamber it
until you run it through a full length sizer die. Collet dies have the advantage of not working the
brass much, so it lasts longer, and also the necks are VERY straight, which is conducive to straight
ammo which is accurate ammo. Also, no lube required with collet since nothing is sliding over
the brass, the collet segments are moving straight in to compress the neck.

Bill