PDA

View Full Version : Help getting rolling.

Madcow
01-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. So I'm two years out of an 18 year marraget and I was getting ready for a move and going through stuff deciding what to keep and what to toss. I found a trunk that was my Dad's from when he passed. Isnide was a Ruger 10/22, and a bunch of old R CBS reloading gear he used to use. It's all a mess and covered with rust. This stufo has been sitting since the beginning of 1989 and opened for the first time since. It got me wanting to reload again as well as cast bullets. My Dad's thing was casting wheel weI ghats for the .44 mag, mine is .357 mag. I ordered a new RCBS kit and some dies from Brownells. What I'm after is a furnace for casting as well as some odds and ends that my be helpful to a guy getting started. I'll be reloading for .357/38 Spcl and 9mm (Father rolling in grave) as well as 30/30 and 45/70 in the near future. From past experience I know that leading will be an issue with .357 mag. Any input on avoiding that would be welcome. Thanks much and happy new year all.

country gent
01-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Welcome to the site and the addiction. If the rust isnt to bad some kroil and elbow grease may clean it up to be useable and beeter than you think, There is something to be said for family air looms. Basic need for casting are a heat source, can be coleman stove or fish fryer burner and stand work very well, a steel pot appropriate to what you want to do. A smaller pot for casting a bigger one for smelting and making ingots. A thermometer to know your heat range is correct. A ladle RCBS or lyman are very good soe perfer rowels. approprite moulds. Next step up would be a lee pot bottom pour and electric. Top of the line would be the Lyman, RCBS, wage, or magna. With the electric pots you may still want the other set up for cleaning smelting wheel wieghts and blending alloies. A blend of wheel wieghts pure lead and tin will make lyyman #2 which is fairly hard as cast and can be water quenched to harden more. Leading should be an issue in 357 with proper alloy and fit of bullet. Find a good reloading manual and read the how too and beginners sections to get an idea whats what.

Firebricker
01-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Leading with your .357 might not be an issue at all. There are some very good stickies here on bullet fit in the barrel and throats as well as hardness for different loads. I like RCBS for my lead pot but it is hard to beat the value of a Lee 20lbs lead pot. As country gent stated a good reloading manual should be first on the list Lyman cast handbook is always a good reference. Glad to see hear you are coming back to a great hobby. Welcome to the forum,FB

goblism
01-10-2015, 12:11 AM
get some evapo-rust from a auto store and soak your fathers dies for 4-6 hours, they will come out a little discolored but rust free

Sekatoa
01-10-2015, 12:23 AM
Evapo-rust is great stuff and will do wonders. Harbor Freight has it in quarts or gallons.

troyboy
01-10-2015, 03:00 PM
I third on the evaporust. Works as advertised. Wire brush then soak. When the rust is gone wire brush then polish. You'll be amazed what can done with a little effort.

w5pv
01-10-2015, 05:45 PM
Welcome back to insane world of castng,I would use a fish fryer,turkey fryer or some thing akin.Get one that is tall enough that you don't have to bend over as much.If the funds allow you get a bottom pour smeltet and a good lead therometer.A face shied and a good pair of cow hide gloves.Good luck on your casting.