PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Uniflow on a Lee Loadmaster

Bisbee
01-09-2015, 01:27 PM
I am wondering if anybody has used the RCBS Uniflow instead of the Lee Pro Powder Auto Disk on a Lee Loadmaster? I am getting tired changing a disk every time I change calibres. Thanks in advance for your response.

country gent
01-09-2015, 01:39 PM
I never have used that set up but My one dillion 650 that I load rifle rounds on is set up with a home made measure mmount so my harrels is above and just inside the powder die. I wanted the accuracy of the harrels when loading accross the coarse and long range ammo. I do have to cucle it by hand seperate from the press functions but it makes some very accurate ammo very quick set up like this. I was dumping charge into pan and pouring thry die but the extra movements was more tiring and much slower. I believe Hornady had a set up that would operate the measure with the stroke of the press also.

44Vaquero
01-09-2015, 02:31 PM
Sure it can be done. Country gent is correct Hornady and RCBS each have an auto dispensing set-up that is case activated same as Lee's auto-disk. Hornady's n RCBS is quick change in that different caliber inserts are swapped with removing the entire unit.

I have helped several people set up the Hornady version on Load-Masters (being red it's a little more popular) but the idea is the same. If you are on FB come join our page "Lee Reloading and Casting Equipment Group".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/802477/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-case-activated-linkage-kit?cm_vc=ProductFinding

zomby woof
01-09-2015, 08:47 PM
Perfect powder measure working good for me.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Use a case activated powder dispenser (CAPD) by either Hornady or RCBS. Use either an RCBS Uniflow or a Hornady LnL powder measure. Both work good and you'll have case activated powder dispense with options to add micrometer adjustment, etc. Both measures I mentioned are fine measures and will do the job.

Alan in Vermont
01-10-2015, 07:00 PM
RCBS has powder through expanders now that work in conjunction their CAPD linkage and seem to work quite nicely. They are kinda/sorta like a Lyman "M" die expander. Selection of calibers is a bit limited though. I have them in 38-44-45.

wallenba
01-10-2015, 07:04 PM
I use them on mine. Careful positioning needed to allow linkage to clear. Not hard to do. My routine is different than most though. After cleaning, my cases are all quickly FL sized, primed on a Pro-1000. Then they go to the Loadmaster case feeder. First die is Lyman 'M', second powder charge, third lock-out die, then bullet feeder and seater. Finally, crimp.

Sometimes I prime large batches of cases in the Pro-1000 with no dies in it at all. When used with a case collater, it's fast, and the lack of dies gives a good feedback to the feel of seating the primer. That way there's one less thing to worry about when using the Loadmaster.

vwpieces
01-10-2015, 08:10 PM
I am using the Hornady on my LoadMaster. Bought a couple extra lower sections to keep on each caliber turret. Makes switching around very simple. However I am not happy with the Hornady PTX expanders for lead boolits. Currently I have managed to get the 357/358 expander on my 9mm setup. But I have some RCBS expanders on the way to see if they will accomplish my needs, or work at all with the LNL.

Bisbee
01-11-2015, 06:30 PM
Thank's guys for your response. I'm still a little confused, doesn't take much these days, about how to make an RCBS or Hornady powder dispenser work on a Loadmaster. Do I just add a new powder dispenser to the turret with case expanders like the Lee setup? Or do I need the linkage setup along with the expanders? I am trying to keep this as simple as possible. I'm looking for an easier way to work up handgun loads without buying a new press. I find the Lee method of powder dispensing a bit trying at times. I am open to suggestions.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Bisbee, to use either the RCBS or Hornady measures, you'll need what Hornady calls the case activated powder drop. The linkage setup with the powder through expander is basically a die with the linkage outside and the powder through expander inside. It works somewhat similar to the set up Lee has with the Pro Auto Disk, but these measures are much more suitable than the Pro Auto Disk for rifle powders and they do have a significantly larger capacity.

I own the Lee Pro Auto Disk setup, the Hornady CAPD/LnL powder measure setup and the RCBS case activated linkage/Uniflow.

Here's your decision makers:

1. How large a quantity are you reloading? If it's huge, get the Hornady setup as it's the largest.

2. Are you reloading rifle? If so, either the RCBS or Hornady works very well, but after selecting them, pick between them with question 1.

3. Are you reloading pistol and the volumes are not huge? Then the Lee Pro Auto Disk will serve you well. It will also serve you well with spherical type powders in general. It's only real draw back is the measure doesn't hold a large quantity of powder, so you'll refill more often.

4. If you need case expansion, the RCBS case activated linkage is more expensive, but has slightly better powder through expanders than the Hornady. Both the Hornady CAPD and the RCBS Case activated linkage work with the Hornady and the RCBS powder measures, so you can mix/match.

5. Is cost an issue? If so, RCBS Uniflows are generally more available used than Hornady LnL powder measures. Lee is the least expensive, but does not handle extruded powders as well as the RCBS and Hornady.

Bottom line is if you'll read up and come to understand all three measures at the manufacturer's website, then think long and hard about your application and your budget, you'll be able to suit your needs to the powder measure.

Bisbee
01-12-2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Dave. I think Uniflow is the way for me. I use RCBS dies for all my pistol calibers and have been satisfied with their quality. I appreciate your detailed information which, I think, will achieve my goal for an easier adjustable method of powder dispensing. I'll let you know how it turns out..

Blanco
01-13-2015, 10:10 AM
The alternative is to get the Lee adjustable charge bar to replace the discs

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-13-2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks, Dave. I think Uniflow is the way for me. I use RCBS dies for all my pistol calibers and have been satisfied with their quality. I appreciate your detailed information which, I think, will achieve my goal for an easier adjustable method of powder dispensing. I'll let you know how it turns out.. If you're looking for an easier adjustable method, I suggest getting the micrometer for the powder measure. This one item greatly speeds up powder adjustments on both the Uniflow and the LnL powder measuers. If you're going to use for multiple calibers, get multiple "bases/dies" of the case activated linkage. You'll need one for each caliber. They seem a bit high, but end up being cheaper than multiple powder measures.

JeffG
01-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Bisbee,

I have the Hornady powder dispenser on my Loadmaster with the case activated linkage and the pistol powder insert in the drum. I'm FL sizing in the first stage, using an Lyman M expander die in stage 2, the Hornady measure in stage 3, seating die in 4 and Taper Crimp in 5. I do my priming off press.

Thank's guys for your response. I'm still a little confused, doesn't take much these days, about how to make an RCBS or Hornady powder dispenser work on a Loadmaster. Do I just add a new powder dispenser to the turret with case expanders like the Lee setup? Or do I need the linkage setup along with the expanders? I am trying to keep this as simple as possible. I'm looking for an easier way to work up handgun loads without buying a new press. I find the Lee method of powder dispensing a bit trying at times. I am open to suggestions.