PDA

View Full Version : Made some lube

Matt Muir
02-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey fellas, saw some of the loooong posts on lube and decided to give it a go. I started with 4 oz beeswax, 1/3 cup TC Bore Butter and finished with 1 tablespoon Murphys Oil Soap (said it was all nat from veggies and was slick). Don't know what I should look for when it sets up,how hard should it be? The only thing I have to go by is the black stuff that came with my Lyman Lube Sizer. Saw a post about the thumbnail test. Should this gunk work? Looks yellow like the stuff on Cabelas bullets:)

Matt

shooting on a shoestring
02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Probably will work. What are you planning to shoot, rifle or revolver?

I find that low end .38 spls don't need much of anything and pretty much anything will work. Get over 1000 fps in a revolver and then lube gets important. Also near 2000 and over in a rifle, need good lube.

Beeswax is always a good place to start. Add some sort of oil, maybe a soap if the oil tries to separate from the beeswax. Felix World Famous Lube is the best I've cooked and used. I use it for everything.

Matt Muir
02-21-2008, 09:19 PM
45-70, the stuff did not seperate as it cooled. It has a sticky slick feel. Kinda hard.

EDK
02-21-2008, 10:58 PM
I'd go to LARS' site on the bottom of the page and look over his lubes. I've been using his 50/50 for smokeless pistol cartridges and his Black Powder Supreme for my 50/90 SHILOH. His products are as good...OR BETTER!.....than the other brands that costs twice as much! You probably can't make it for what he sells it for.

LARS', SPG and DGL are all a light color and somewhat similar except for the amounts of "eye of newt" and other proprietary items. They're all good...and LARS' is least expensive. You need a soft non-petroleum lube for black powder.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Matt Muir
02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
I know I can always buy some great lube but wanted to try some on my own. If I'm going to cast and reload might as well try the whole shebang. I know it may be difficult, but hey thats half the fun. I always have Bore Butter around and a local craft store sells the beeswax. I figure I have a $4.00 in a batch the size of a Jelly Jar. That should be around 7 oz.by volume. I love the butter in my other guns, just may need tweaking to get it to work. If not, great lube is always a click away!

EDK
02-22-2008, 01:13 AM
I can't argue with you wanting to make your own lube. It's another good project if you have the time and know-how to do it. I seem to be running out of time to do a lot of things lately.

You might make the break-through that everyone is hoping to make. "Requires X amount of longhorn tallow."

:castmine:

EMC45
02-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Tried the old 50/50 Beeswax and Moly grease type and it was just like the Lyman stuff. I am going to try to harden it up with Parafin. We'll see.

Matt Muir
02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Well I can sure find the longhorn tallow:) I need to soften the batch up a tad I think. Let you know how it shoots later.

VTDW
02-22-2008, 09:59 PM
I really do enjoy puttering around the shop. So I made a couple of batches of Felix Lube and really like the way it performs. I do add some LLA to the finished product and push my .444s pretty darned hard as well as my .308MX. No leading.

Dave

38 Super Auto
02-23-2008, 12:19 AM
I am going to try to harden it up with Parafin.

I recenly switched to Jake's purple. It's about $1/stick+ship off evil-bay. It works well for my pistol bullets.

I was using a paraffin blend up until recently. My experience was it was real smoky.