VTX
02-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Was woundering what kind case lube you guys are using

Adam10mm
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Hornady One Shot.

xtimberman
02-21-2008, 08:28 PM
I generally prefer the wax-type case lubes - particularly when resizing cases in non-carbide sizing dies. I used Pacific Unique for years and now Imperial Sizing Die Wax.

I keep Hornady One Shot around too and use it for very lightly lubricating batches of auto pistol brass prior to resizing in carbide dies.

xtm

shooting on a shoestring
02-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Case lube? Walmart brand Super Tech Engine Oil Treatment (STP knock off).

Hip's Ax
02-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Another vote for Hornady One Shot, I use to buy a couple of cans at a time on every order or when it went on sale. When I got low this year I bought a full case of 12 from Wideners. For my centerfire match rifles I work in brass lot sizes of a couple of hundred to a thousand. HOS works quick and mess free when I use it with my Stalwart lube racks. After resizing they go in the tumbler for an hour to get the lube off. Done. Never stuck a case or dented a shoulder. I just finished 800 LC 5.56 last night.

I use Imperial Sizing Wax for reforming.

I bought Red Rooster Radical Reforming Lube a few years ago when I was making 6.5 Japanese from 308 brass and having a tough time, I don't care for it. Its sticky as heck. Luckily Graf's came out with 6.5 Japanese brass right then and I quit trying to make it from 308.

easy ed
02-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I use Imperial Sizing wax wax for everything - Just a dab will do you.

sundog
02-21-2008, 09:22 PM
+1 Hornady One Shot. I like spraying into the inside of the case mouth. Like the Hipster, I'll put a few on an order whenever they're on sale. For just a few cases real quick like, wire pull goop, with the fingers.

brshooter
02-21-2008, 09:31 PM
I use liquid lanolin and 99% alcohol, ratio 1 to 5. Works great

EMC45
02-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Imperial

eka
02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Imperial Wax for me too.

Maven
02-22-2008, 11:04 AM
I use 3 lubes: For general resizing & case forming, the Hornady stuff that comes in a small tub (white lube with the appearance of, but stiffer than Crisco). For very light resizing, as with low pressure [rifle] loads, wire pulling lube (available by the quart at "big box" home centers; also good for lubing CB's before sizing in a Lee push-through die). Although I haven't used it lately, STP gets a thumbs up too.

Patrick L
02-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I use either RCBS Case Lube II on a pad or the Dillon spray, depending on how much I'm loading and the situation.

When I plan ahead, I like the RCBS because its water soluable, and if I have time I size my cases, dump them in the kitchen sink and rinse, and then set them out to dry for a day or two. The Dillon is faster to apply, but I have to tumble it off after I size. I use that if I find myself needing to reload right now, which is rarely the case. I find an hour in the tumbler takes it off. I do like the convenience of the spray lube though. I wish someone would come up with a water soluable spray lube.

I know some lube advertise that they don't harm powder or primers, but I just don't want any lube on my loaded ammo.

utk
02-22-2008, 11:31 AM
Bullshop's all new "BullSize". Wipes off with a paper towel or tumbler cleaning.

Link at bottom of page...

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-22-2008, 11:46 AM
Imperial wax- excellent stuff. Used to use Hornady one shot, but got tired of paying that much for something that ran out quick. One shot is good stuff, but the Imperial is better for me and goes farther. The Imperial is slower to use though.

tommyn
02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Lee is all I use. Have the imperial but prefer Lee

Kraschenbirn
02-22-2008, 12:19 PM
Anyhdrous lanolin and 90% alcohol in a small plant sprayer. I keep both on hand, anyway (lanolin for use in BP lube and alcohol for cleaning small parts).

Bill

454PB
02-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Boot waterproofing. Works as well as Imperial lube, but costs about 1/4 as much.

utk
02-22-2008, 04:07 PM
A friend of mine uses liquid soap, the "all natural" type. Saponified Pine tree oil.
He has FL sized range-pickup 30-06's that wouldn't fit his chamber. Water soluble and nice smelling too.

Urban

DLCTEX
02-26-2008, 09:05 PM
+1 on lanolin and alcohol Or STP on RCBS pad. Dale

Lloyd Smale
02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
anhydrous lanolin applied with my fingers. Havent found anything any better or cheaper.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Anhydrous lanolin,straight i.e. not cut with anything. A little bit goes a very long way; I'm still on a 3 oz tin after many years. Also have tried White Lthium Grease; a two oz tube that cost a couple of bucks has lasted thru several thousand 06 cases and its still pretty full.

runfiverun
02-26-2008, 10:35 PM
that lanolin and alcohol is what dillon sells and the bottle ibought 4 years ago is almost
gone now. it does the every-day stuff any tough stuff gets imperial.

hornsurgeon
02-26-2008, 10:45 PM
i started off using lee lube, but long ago switched to one shot and would not try anyting else.

rmb721
02-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Imperial sizing wax and Hornady One Shot

Bullshop junior x2
02-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Bullshops Bullsize, for me

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-27-2008, 12:57 AM
Where are you guys getting the Anhydrous lanolin locally at?

Dave

osage
02-27-2008, 03:12 AM
Mostly Hornady One Shot.

dromia
02-27-2008, 04:04 AM
Imperial sizing wax.

One shot for batches through the progressive press.

Usually neck size only on the progressive however so don't lube for it that often but One Shot has served me well when I do.

utk
02-27-2008, 04:46 AM
Another case lube uses anhydrous lanolin and castor oil. Melt the lanolin in a double boiler and add castor oil. Don't remember the proportions now, will get back if I find the recipe...

Urban

Shepherd2
02-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Imperial Sizing Die wax unless I'm loading on the progressive and then I use Hornady One Shot.

Rick N Bama
02-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Imperial Wax for just a few or Dillon spray for a bunch.

Rick

nicholst55
02-27-2008, 07:33 PM

Dave

I order it online from this place - reasonable prices, and they don't bend you over on shipping, either!

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

They also carry beeswax, jojoba oil, carnauba wax, and other ingredients of bullet lubes.

Newtire
02-28-2008, 08:39 AM

Dave

I got mine at the local hippie food store-New Leaf Market

1hole
02-28-2008, 11:34 AM
"Boot waterproofing. Works as well as Imperial lube, but costs about 1/4 as much"

Ditto. I use Kiwi's "Mink Oil", really a thick waxey product, from the shoe dept at Walmart and believe it is the same or virtually the same as Imperial. Works great. In some 40 years of handloading I've used many lubes and now only use the waxes. It's clean and easy to wipe off the excess when finished.

Lee's Allox stuff is good and so is the wire pulling lube but not as good as the waxes. STP - et al - is a good lube but MESSY and hard to remove with anything less than mineral spirits or some other such solvent. Ditto lanolin.

ChapStick lip balm works good, as does breast balm for nursing mothers (lanolin), so do the waxey power saw blade lube sticks marketed by Oldhams and sold in H'Depot but .... why bother with it? :-D

I now avoid all lubes that are derivitives of petrolum to avoid the potential for powder and primer contamination.

Dale53
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
When I was shooting IPSC Rifle and NRA Big Bore, I reloaded in quantity (1000 at a time). Ed Harris suggested using Lee sizing lube diluted 10/1 (water/Lee lube) in a .50 caliber ammo can with a proper sized french fry basket. Shake the liquid up before using (it'll settle a bit between uses), place the decapped cases in the basket and dip in the Lee mixture. Let drain, spread out on newspaper to dry overnight. It leaves a very thin coat of dry wax inside and out. Doesn't hurt the powder AT ALL when dry.

It has the great benefit of lubing the INSIDE of case necks so you eliminate expander drag (squeaking and lengthening of case necks, etc). Really works extremely well and wipes off with a paper towel after you are finished.

Thanks to Ed Harris for this MOST useful tip.

Dale53

sundog
02-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Dale, that's kinda why I like Hornady One Shot - it gets inside the neck and reduces expander drag really good. I can see your way would be very efficient if doing lots of cases on a very regular basis.

utk
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
I did something similar: I emtied one tube of LEE Case Lube into a pump sprayer and added 4-5 tubes of ethanol. Shake well as the lube will sink to the bottom over time.
Spread out the cases on an old newspaper, spray - shake - spray.
The advantage with alcohol is that when it has evaporated the cases are immediately ready for reloading. If time is not a factor you can use water instead.