PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Lube and Tight or sharp throats

mjwcaster
01-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Just a thought-

Can a throat with a sharp knife-edge transistion remove tumble lube from a boolits driving areas?

I am working on casting for my Springfield XD 45, which has a short throat and a stair-step and cutting edge transition into the rifling.

If I were to design a die to cut lube off of a boolit, or even some lead, this would be it.
Especially on an oversized boolit.

Maybe this could be why some people have more success with tumble lube that others.

Matt

geargnasher
01-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Brownell's sells the tool to fix that.

Gear

mjwcaster
01-08-2015, 04:05 PM
Brownell's sells the tool to fix that.

Gear

Yes I have the throating 1911 thread bookmarked (andd read multiple times) that has the brownell part number in it.
I just need to figure out what size tap handle to use, if I have one that will fit or what one to buy.

It is on my list of things to do.

Matt

DougGuy
01-08-2015, 04:14 PM
I do those a lot cheaper than the Brownell's tool. You need the pilot kit and the piloted reamer. I checked out their basic reamer and the nose is much too small to fit snugly in the rifling, might as well call that one a bubba reamer, that's about what it's good for. I had one here, stuck it down one barrel, wiggled it, shook my head, right back into usps it went.

mjwcaster
01-09-2015, 08:11 PM
DougGuy,
Thanks for the input on the Brownells tool.
I have looked at your FB page before. I would really like to be able to say I did it myself, but it may end up better having you do it.
I can bubba-smith with the best of them, but would like to do it right.
It sucks that shipping will be as much as your service.
And I understand, I used to run a business where shipping cost more than the product.
Kind of kills single sales.

Matt