PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450, 4500 Wrench modification

Farmer&shooter
01-08-2015, 03:15 AM
This may be old news, but I have read about how easy it is to strip the die retaining nut threads on the 450 (and I think the 4500 also), so I have been extra careful with the three that I have to make sure the threads are started exactly square. To do this, I ground off the tab that is punched out of the wrench by Lyman. This way, I apply the wrench, carefully (and GENTLY) lower the ram to keep the nut absolutely square, then I back off the wrench until I see and feel it drop ever so slightly (so I know the threads are about to start), then, keeping GENTLE pressure on the ram, I screw down the nut. It has worked perfectly for changing the dies hundreds of times since I have a couple dozen dies in various diameters.

avogunner
01-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Although I don't have/use the Lyman wrench, the method you describe on how you replace the retaining nut is exactly what I also do. Using the ram to keep the nut square and then backing off the nut to feel when the threads are ready to engage does make changing dies a lot easier.

Walter Laich
01-08-2015, 12:31 PM
The Prefessor has a great tool for starting the nut square.

Walter Laich
01-08-2015, 12:42 PM
here is the link to The Prefessor's tool:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?136891-New-Product-Retention-Nut-Driver-for-Lubers

Hardcast416taylor
01-08-2015, 03:53 PM
here is the link to The Prefessor's tool:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?136891-New-Product-Retention-Nut-Driver-for-Lubers

That`s a BIG 10 - 4 on this tool!Robert

theperfessor
01-08-2015, 08:13 PM
I expect to have CNC milling machine in shop by end of March. When that happens one of the first jobs I plan to run on it is a lot of these nut drivers. I am off work and don't have access to machines at University.

gwpercle
01-09-2015, 04:21 PM
I use my fingers and start it by hand....very sensitive. Never got one cross threaded and very affordable to boot.
Gary