PDA

View Full Version : Winchester and Federal cheap hulls from Wally world

Geezer in NH
01-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Not getting the best crimps on them in my 600jr. Is it the crappy hulls?? The folds are not very consistent and then open up in a few days.

Treeman
01-07-2015, 09:45 PM
If they are opening you probably have a wad column fit issue. It is also possible that the final crimp station needs adjustment. I get good crimps from those hulls on my Mec 600jr. so I know it is possible.

W.R.Buchanan
01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
The Federal hulls reload much better than Winchester Universals. Still they are a reload once and dump type of thing.

If your crimps are opening up, you need to adjust your crimp die down a little more.

Oh,,, Treeman already said that!

Randy

NSB
01-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Try using 7/8 oz wads (if we're talking about 12 ga here) for a 1oz load. Your wad it too high. See if someone can give you a couple to try. I used to shoot all mine that way.

FullTang
01-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Actually, if they're popping open, you'll want to use a 1-1/8 wad for your 1 oz loads; these will have a shorter cushion section and deeper shot cup, so the whole stack will sit lower in the hull.

Faret
01-13-2015, 10:03 PM
They will pop open as they retain memory if not over crimped looking. I cut them down and use them for roll crimped slugs.

Geezer in NH
01-14-2015, 12:19 AM
They will pop open as they retain memory if not over crimped looking. I cut them down and use them for roll crimped slugs.Looking that's they way. I load the same wads in Nitro hulls and crimp holds with the RB's I am trying. The cheap hulls have problems retaining the crimps. 1-2nd shot or load. The Nitro's keep the fold crimp for 2-3 loads.

I am looking for cheap loads for 3 gun where the shotgun part is less than 50 yards. The cheapies do that when fresh but not 2 weeks after loading.

trapper9260
01-14-2015, 04:13 AM
Also beside what is stated about the wads ,check also how much shot you have in it also some time in some hulls makes you think you have enough and end up too much in it.That is one thing you can check.

duckey
01-14-2015, 07:41 AM
I gave had the same problem with Remington Gun Club hulls and after adjustment of my 600 JR it fixed the problem. With other brand 2 3/4" hulls one would think that an adjustment wouldn't need to be made but you do. I have also used some heat on t
he crimps, after pre crimping which helped the final crimp stay put and not pop up later. There are two other options using a BPI Bras pre crimp tool that replaces the plastic pre crimp in the MEC 600 jr. It has sharp edges that will re-establish the creases on the crimp and make the final crimp do what it needs to do. The second option is a Skiver tool from BPI which basically is a tapered cone file which you can chuck into a drill or drill press and removes some inside plastic on the crimps. I found all this out trying to reload slugs and opted out of crimping and got a roll crimp toll from BPI. So in closing just adjust the final crimp and you will be all set.

RMc
01-14-2015, 01:32 PM
Consider a crimp finisher:

http://www.gaepreloading.com/id31.html