PDA

View Full Version : Bulk storage and Lars red carnauba

cheese1566
01-07-2015, 08:06 PM
I use Lars red carnauba for my rifle loads. I store the lubed boolits in old pistol trays and my 223's go into old large primer trays. I find these booits kinda tacky with the various lube grooves. My area is in the basement and stays rather cool year round. I use a PID controlled heater on my sizers.

i am experimenting with the red carnauba for my troubling leading 9mm rounds and possible 40sw development. I have always used magma hard lube in my star sizer so I can bulk store my sized/lubed boolits in jars as I usually have a 800-1000 on hand at a time. I was afraid from the start that my booits would all stick together and have a gooey mess if I didn't use hard lube.

I am thinking if the softer lube works good in the two loads, I will switch my star over and use the red carnauba for all my pistol. I could also use it for my rifles as well.

so far, the few hundred 9mm I have done with the red carnuaba don't feel as tacky as my rifle since there is only one lube groove. I have them in a red bin and have been tossing them around every now and then to see if there is issues sticking together, etc...

anybody have issues bulk storing pistol boolits with Lars red carnauba?

I would order more solid sticks from him if it works out and may consider BAC if it bulk stores OK as well....

dragon813gt
01-07-2015, 08:17 PM
BAC will definitely be to soft. 2500+ has not worked for me as far as bulk storage goes. But I store them in the attic of my garage where the temps are in the 90s all summer long. I can't comment on CR yet because I just started using it. I will know in about nine months how it holds up.

Beagle333
01-07-2015, 08:19 PM
Mebbe read up on Ben's Liquid Lube as a sealer over your CR and BAC lubed boolits before you bulk store them?

randyrat
01-07-2015, 08:33 PM
Not a problem, just lube as usual and Tumble lube with Bens NEW T/L...It will work with any lube. It leaves a nice hard coating over any lube. Look it up on the Thread right here on "Boolit Lube"

Take a look:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

dragon813gt
01-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Not a problem, just lube as usual and Tumble lube with Bens NEW T/L...It will work with any lube. It leaves a nice hard coating over any lube. Look it up on the Thread right here on "Boolit Lube"

Take a look:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

In that thread you will see my results. It did not work for putting a hard coating over it like I hoped it would. The 2500+ was still tacky to the touch. These are my preliminary results and I can't conduct warm weather testing until....well you know ;)

runfiverun
01-07-2015, 09:46 PM
try spritsing the c-red boolits with some rubbing alcohol, it puts a firm skin on the lube.

dragon813gt
01-07-2015, 09:50 PM
try spritsing the c-red boolits with some rubbing alcohol, it puts a firm skin on the lube.

Thanks for the tip. I will have to try this out.

ballistim
01-07-2015, 10:42 PM
I've stored my 9mm & 45acp after sizing & lubing with CR stacked upright in layers packed tight inside white baseball card storage boxes using index cards between layers. I've had no problems storing them this way and the lube stays hard & dry. Leading has not been a problem at all with moderate loads of Green Dot, very satisfied with both CR & BAC but CR will store better.

454PB
01-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Me too. I have some boxes of boolits that were lubed 5 years ago and they are fine. BUT, they are neatly placed nose up, side by side, and the temperature rarely gets over 85 degrees in my loading room.

fryboy
01-08-2015, 12:40 PM
most softer lubes can be a bit sticky ( some hard lubes are but not as bad ) lars also sells a commercial version of the carnuba red which is a lil bit better for mass storage/shipping etc
my thoughts on commercial hard lubes are that they seem to work best at either end of the spectrum but not so well in the middle ( your mileage may vary )

ballistim
01-08-2015, 01:05 PM
most softer lubes can be a bit sticky ( some hard lubes are but not as bad ) lars also sells a commercial version of the carnuba red which is a lil bit better for mass storage/shipping etc
my thoughts on commercial hard lubes are that they seem to work best at either end of the spectrum but not so well in the middle ( your mileage may vary )

I agree with the low & high end for CR, I like to use BAC or X-lox 2500 for my mid-range rifle, been meaning to try Randy Rat's TAC, haven't had time to experiment with trying to make Ben's lube yet, Lar's lubes have worked so well for me.
I might try to pick up his harder commercial red to mix with CR, have read others doing that.

bobthenailer
01-09-2015, 09:17 AM
I store my lubed & sized cast boolets in loose bulk containers with as many as 3,000 in one container , i also found CR to be a little tacky ! so i mixed Magnma hard lube 50/50 with CR problem solved .

When i run out of CR & Magnma lube i will switch to LARS new harder lubes 160 or 190 .

h8dirt
01-09-2015, 09:31 PM
I have used BAC and CR with success. I found the BAC to be a bit too soft/sticky but it performs well in mid-velocity pistol loads. So, I tried a mix of CR and BAC -- 50/50. It's less tacky and it has worked well for me. I try to size just what I need for a lubing session, but if I do a larger batch, I keep them in a tupperware container in the refrigerator that I keep in my shop.

ballistim
01-10-2015, 10:33 AM
I have used BAC and CR with success. I found the BAC to be a bit too soft/sticky but it performs well in mid-velocity pistol loads. So, I tried a mix of CR and BAC -- 50/50. It's less tacky and it has worked well for me. I try to size just what I need for a lubing session, but if I do a larger batch, I keep them in a tupperware container in the refrigerator that I keep in my shop.

I've done this & it works well, I use BAC when loading freshly lubed & loading right after.

Fishman
01-14-2015, 12:24 AM
I use CR and store them in large plastic coffeemate containers. I have had no problems with tackiness at all but I keep my room under 75 degrees. That said, I'm going to check out the rubbing alcohol tip from r5r.