PDA

View Full Version : What it all boils down to. . .

Recluse
01-07-2015, 07:29 PM
One of the charities I support is AdoptUSkids.org. There are a lot of children out there who through no fault of their own now find themselves literally without a family.

It doesn't always have to be through an agency, either. Sometimes circumstances cause lives to cross.

Regardless, when you change one life, you change TWO--the young person you take in and yourself.

Proof? I give you Christmas Eve and my youngest girl. She has these apps on her phone for toddlers that Sadee finds interesting.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126592&d=1420611777

And a proud tough guy grandpa.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126607&d=1420647511

The oldest and her youngest.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126611&d=1420647763

And with both of the boys.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126614&d=1420648450

When you reach out and change one life, you're changing more than just one.

:coffee:

fatnhappy
01-07-2015, 09:05 PM
It takes an altruistic and caring heart to raise someone else's seed. I commend your daughter, and everyone else on this forum that does so, be it through adoption or as a step-parent.

Recluse
01-07-2015, 09:19 PM
Those are the two girls we took in some years ago. Now, some years later, they've grown up and are starting families of their own and breaking the chain of neglect and abuse. Unlike them, their children will have grandparents to help teach them and spoil them and do the things that only grandparents can do.

Sometimes I think back on the frustrations we had with both of the girls at various times. Then I pull out the pictures and see where we've been and where we are. . . and where we're going.

Yeah, I'd do it all over again. You better believe it.

:coffee:

trails4u
01-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Beautiful family, Recluse.... I applaud you and your daughters. YOU ARE changing lives!!!

cga
01-07-2015, 10:04 PM
A great show of love for others, with excellent results. My hats off to you sir.

jcren
01-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Recluse, you rock! I can only hope to touch lives the way you have. Beautiful family and a great legacy, a man is only the sum of what he leaves behind!

dtknowles
01-07-2015, 10:35 PM
If you don't leave this world a better place than it would be without you, you are on the wrong path. Clearly at least one person understands this.

Tim

MaryB
01-07-2015, 11:05 PM
When my older brother lived in Sioux Falls he was a foster parent, usually had 3-4 kids at a time from the Rosebud Indian Reservation. Kids all had issues with fetal drug addiction and it caused behavior problems. But my brother always sat down with them and explained what they were doing wrong even if he had to do it many times. Spanking these kids was out because their jailed parents usually abused them.

But at Christmas they were just part of my already large family and we all bought them gifts to take back to the reservation when someone in the family would finally claim them. These kids had never seen the amount of food or gifts we had laid out and they often broke down crying and didn't believe they could take all these toys home with them. They are from one of the poorest reservations in the USA and drug/alcohol addiction is bad there.

osteodoc08
01-07-2015, 11:38 PM
Good lookin family you've got there. Children are a blessing.

dragonrider
01-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Your a lucky man Recluse. I'd be envious except I have 6 grands of my own 3 of each. My youngest granddaughter has Downs Syndrome, she is ten years old is the funniest little girl we know. She makes it so you just can't love her enough. To coin a phrase from Alvin York She is a wonderment, as are they all.

1989toddm
01-08-2015, 01:23 AM
Great testimony JD! I hope we can provide foster care someday, our current rental house would not pass a home study. You've done good.

Echo
01-08-2015, 01:50 AM
You're a fortunate man, JD...

Ramar
01-08-2015, 04:46 AM
Be proud as can be, you've earned it!
Ramar

sparky45
01-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Kudos Recluse; now get busy on that 3rd book.

RED333
01-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Make a million dollars, live in a BIG house, drive a BIG car.
After you die you not be remembered for any of that "stuff".
Touch the heart of a child and you will be remembered for ever!
Congrats Recluse!

bear67
01-08-2015, 10:09 PM
JD, you and your wife are a blessing to these girls and your rewards are in the grand children. But you are blessed as well as being a blessing.
I love my 3 children and 6 grandchildren, but hold a special place for two young ladies we took in while in High School. They were never legally on paper, ours, but we raised them and got them graduated from school with our youngest daughter, a classmate. One of these girls was abandoned by her divorcing parents and the other was sexually abused by a stepfather. They both call me Dad and we call them our special daughters. They are now 36 years old and producing members of society.

I really feel God blessed us with children not of our genes, but of the heart.
Enjoy these girls and their grandchildren--they are our legacy on this planet.

starbits
01-09-2015, 10:12 PM
My parents did foster care for new born babies for Catholic Social Services until they could be permanently placed. They took them in for as short as a few days up to 9 months in one case. A total of 56 babies over the years. I am the oldest of 6 kids, Mom just liked babies.

Starbits.