PDA

View Full Version : Pecatonica River Stocks for TC "Hawken" rifles

dondiego
01-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply lists aftermarket stocks that fit TC Hawken rifles in several grades of wood. Have any of you tried these out? I am considering a mid grade maple.

johnson1942
01-07-2015, 04:42 PM
yes got one of those. go the extra dollars and get the top grade of wood. labor is what cost and your the labor so that is free. everything fit. put a 34 inch barrel .45 cal 1.60 twist on it and the rest is thompson. may offer it for sale soon.

idahoron
01-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Was it a drop in stock? if so that is great news. Got a link?

koger
01-07-2015, 07:36 PM
They are not drop ins, but close. I always had to do quite a bit of fitting, but not too bad, if I remember correctly. Roger is right, go ahead and pay a little more for the better wood, they give good value in their rating, most I have bought from them, has been better than they rated it. I am building a .54 longrifle right now, with one of their stock blanks, very curly maple, making a southern mountain rifle, all iron works, 42" barrel.

johnson1942
01-07-2015, 08:43 PM
also he will check his stock for grades above the top grade. i think old racer got one their but not sure, old racers is a beauty. the grade is usually better than listed. also idaho ron, the drop is better than the original thompsons. i had no problems with the fit. it was first rate in quality.

dondiego
01-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Their ad says that you can specify the drop in their stocks since most wanted more than TC offered. I will take your advice and get the best wood. I really like good wood on a rifle. Thanks for your replies.

johnson1942
01-08-2015, 01:22 PM
dondiego, if you pm me your e mail i will send you some pictures of their stock, the tc replacement i got from them. it wasnt the highest grade but it beautiful.

oldracer
01-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Hey Roger, I have one of their top line tiger maple stocks in the slug gun that I made last winter. It was great and as usual you have to do some barrel channel fitting and normal finishing work. The openings for the lock, trigger, etc all fit perfectly so their carving machines do a pretty good job.
John

dondiego
01-08-2015, 03:23 PM
johnson1942 - PM sent.

johnson1942
01-08-2015, 06:50 PM
old racer, saw pictures of your gun and it is very very nice. ive started useing the HUT plastic polish on the last rub. reasonable price and avil on the internet. as good as brownells triple five polish and a lot cheaper. makes the finish so high gloss it seems to disappear, its like the wood has canyons and valleys when really it is clear high gloss smooth.working with good wood is very very fulfilling.