PDA

View Full Version : RCBS flash hole tool ?

Wayne S
01-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Does anyone have actual experience with the RCBS flash hole tool ?

EDG
01-07-2015, 03:43 PM
I have the RCBS tool. I don't use it much but I like its guides much better than the Lyman tool guide cone. I have the Lyman tool also I don't use it much either though I use it more than the RCBS tool because the cutter pilot is full size to fit an .080 flash hole. The RCBS tool has a tiny .032 pilot that is a loose fit in an .080 flash hole and tends to wobble around when the cutting edges are trying to cut the large irregular burrs in a Remington case. My Lyman tool pilot measures .081 dia.
Neither the Lyman or RCBS tool stops off inside the case on the case head like the K&M tool. I do not own the K&M tool but I think it is a superior design. The K&M tool stops against the inside of the case head and is not affected by the length of the case like the RCBS or both the length or inside diameter of the case neck like the Lyman cone. You could ruin a case easily if your stop/guide is not set for the case lengths you are using. In addition the internal height of the case head can vary resulting in some cases not being well deburred and others being deburred way too deep. The K&M design does not have this problem.

https://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/flash-hole-uniformer-tools/flash-hole-uniformer_professional-standard_0080.html

I will add one thing that really helps me deburr flash holes.
Many cases will have large burrs internally around the flash hole. Remington seems to be the worst. R-P brass will have a large funnel of burrs around the flash hole that resembles a kings crown. When you try to deburr these burrs the 2 edges of the RCBS and Lyman tools (probably K&M also) have a hard time getting a cutting edge bite on the metal without a lot of pressure. Then the tool bounces up and down over the points of the crown. You can cut and bounce the tool for a minute or two and finally get rid of these but it is aggravating.
My reloading process is a little different from some. I use a plastic face 8oz hammer and a Lee hand decapping punch to knock out all my primers. Sometimes I gave the primer a whack that was not needed. After depriming I could see the big nasty burrs. I could also some that got an extra whack that the end of the depriming punch flattened the burrs down against the case head. These flattened burrs are much thinner when mashed down and they are much, much easier and faster to cut through than the raised burrs.

My recommendation is to deprime by hand. If you do not want to deprime by hand get a hand deprime punch and mash the burrs first. Then deburr with the K&M tool

Hardcast416taylor
01-07-2015, 04:18 PM
I very much liked the old style uniformer with the pilot end. Sadly I broke this pilot off while doing a "pile" of Mil. surp. .223 brass. I had this uniformer mounted on my RCBS case trimming station. I got a new uniformer from RCBS at a local gunshop. It is definately different since it now has no pilot only a pointed "counter sink" shaped end on a threaded rod. I luckily found an unknown made uniformer that I threaded to work on the RCBS station holder. If I had seen this K&M uniform tool I would have gotten it.Robert

Smoke4320
01-07-2015, 04:24 PM
I have both the RCSB and Lyman... Much prefer the Lyman
My technique is to resize the case first
trim to length if needed and chamfer
swedge primer pocket if needed
Uniform the primer pocket.
Then debur from primer pocket end
Then inside case to remove any internal burrs

GSM
01-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Used the RCBS and the K&M.

Prefer the K&M. The cutter stop is on the cutter of the K&M whereas the RCBS is on a pilot stop - case length will influence how much the RCBS cutter takes out.

K&M stuff is good. Buy once, cry once.

btroj
01-17-2015, 12:48 AM
I like the RCBS. Works great in a cordless drill.

Rick Hodges
01-17-2015, 11:11 AM
I use K&M, the cutter is just a center drill. It works very well.

Minerat
01-29-2015, 12:22 AM
This is the one I use but it will not work on the RCBS case prep station. http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/flash-hole-deburring-tools/gen-ii-universal-flashhole-deburring-tool-prod34127.aspx?psize=96

I like the way it catches the trimming.