PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try a Lee 456-220-1R in a .45 rifle?

Black Jaque Janaviac
01-06-2015, 04:22 PM
I see Lee has a .456 diameter conical that is intended for the Ruger Old Armys.

Has anyone tried this bullet in a rifle?

I know Lee's REAL bullets have smaller diameter bases to make for easier starting. But I'm considering this bullet for other uses (putting in a sabot and shooting it out of a .50 as well).

rodwha
01-06-2015, 07:46 PM
I have a mold that drops a few bullets for my ROA/Rem '58 that are also .456" in diameter, and I've wondered about using the heavier one (285 grns) through my Lyman Deerstalker with a 1:48" twist as the OAL is about right.

The problem would be whether or not they'd fit snug enough in a .458 X .50 cal sabot. If not they'd need to be resized to .451-2" to fit standard pistol bullet sabots.

If you are considering these in a .45 cal rifle I'd think it would be a bit too difficult. I think it's why the Lee REALs have several small driving bands as they don't give too much resistance. You'd really need a mallet to get those down the bore, and possibly all the way down to the charge.

Nobade
01-06-2015, 09:36 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work other than it has extremely small lube grooves so you'd probably have to wipe between shots. I like to shoot the Lee TL-45-230-TC 45 ACP boolits in my Cherokee. I size them to .442", paper patch to .449", load over a LDPE and a lubed felt wad. Shoots accurately and carries a lot further than a round ball.

-Nobade