PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Discovery At The Range The Other Day

Bigscot
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
The other day at the range I was shooting my Model 94’s in 30-30 and .44 mag and found something interesting.

I was double checking some loads at 25 m and was shooting off a bench not using a rest but holding the rifles in my hand and resting my left elbow on the bench. The groups were pretty decent with both rifles. I then tried it at 50m and again the groups were some of the best I have shot at 50m.

The rest I normaly use is the cheap plastic Caldwell rest. It works fine and have not had any problems with it. Other rifles shoot fine off of it. Is there something about lever actions not liking a firm front rest?

Bigscot

bullshot
02-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Any rifle can have its likes and dislikes as to how its supported. Any rifles with two piece stocks seem to be more particular. Its to do with pressure or lack of against the metal affecting how the barrel vibrates, thus affecting the groups.

S.R.Custom
02-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Is there something about lever actions not liking a firm front rest?

Absolutely. Rifles whose fore-stock bears directly on the barrel --particularly those with two-piece stocks-- will shoot 'away' from a firm rest to varying degrees. The varying factors are many, but the biggest are the downward force imparted to the gun by the shooter against the rest, and how far down the stock the support is. Change any of these variables from one shot to the next --even just a little-- and you have larger groups downrange.

4570guy
02-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Bigscot -- I've taken to shooting my lever rifles for group as you described -- holding the forearm with elbow resting on the bench. I've also tried resting the reciever on the sandbag and leaving the forearm free. I've learned (as SuperMag desribes) not to let the forearm touch anything solid other than my hand. BTW -- I've found this to be true with my Savage Enfield as well. I put the shooting rest just ahead of the trigger guard when shooting for group.

Kraschenbirn
02-21-2008, 04:10 PM
When "benching" my single shots, I've found that I obtain much more consistent groups if I take a normal grip on the forearm while supporting my left wrist (I'm right-handed, btw) with a couple of sandbags.

I've also found that this works well when test-firing my milsurps with CB loads. When I got my K-31, I first zeroed it with factory equivalent FMJ loads...and it shot into just over an inch @ 50M. Later, while working up CB loads (211291 and 311041), I discovered that, while the gun grouped well with cast, using the same sight settings as for FMJs, my groups were consistently low and right...like two or three inches to the right @ 50M. Switched to shooting prone with sandbags under my left wrist and my groups moved back almost to center. I suspect the effect may be due to (1) lower muzzle velocity (bullet has more time in the barrel) and (2) reduced recoil produced by the milder loads.

Bill

4570guy
02-22-2008, 12:37 PM
You will find that you will typically get different sight "zero" settings as a function of shooting position. What you find as "zero" off the bench will differ slightly from standing, sitting and prone. This is really only a practical issue when target shooting. For hunting purposes, its not a big deal unless you are taking extremely long shots (hunt closer).

The Nyack Kid
02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Ive noticed a differant POA when shooting off hand/soft rests and when using my LeadSled , with a couple of diffent rifles (leverguns) this is an important thing I take into consideration when I'm sighting a gun in for hunting . I always test shoot my rifles using the rest i think i will be using when taking a shot at game . better safe than hungry .

1Shirt
02-24-2008, 12:59 AM
It is my never to be humble opinion that (regardless of what we think) ALL RIFLES ARE FEMALE! Accordingly they should never be taken forgranted. Each should be considered to be an endity onto itself. It will only eat the ammo that it likes. Some are prettier than others, but shoot better than the pretty ones. Some are utilitarian and functional, others just to pretty to shoot, and accordingly somewhat useless. Lastly, those that show wear and tear are the ones that seem to hang in with us best. My old 77 Ruger in 7x57 is an example, and I will never get rid of HER!
1Shirt!:coffee:

44man
02-24-2008, 01:47 AM
It is my never to be humble opinion that (regardless of what we think) ALL RIFLES ARE FEMALE! Accordingly they should never be taken forgranted. Each should be considered to be an endity onto itself. It will only eat the ammo that it likes. Some are prettier than others, but shoot better than the pretty ones. Some are utilitarian and functional, others just to pretty to shoot, and accordingly somewhat useless. Lastly, those that show wear and tear are the ones that seem to hang in with us best. My old 77 Ruger in 7x57 is an example, and I will never get rid of HER!
1Shirt!:coffee:
All I have to say about that is :drinks:

timkelley
02-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Top, you're looking to get knots on your head.

9.3X62AL
02-24-2008, 02:22 PM
1Shirt--

Absolute FACT. True THAT!

S.R.Custom
02-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Except Browning BLRs. Without a doubt, they are all males... Every time I drop the lever on one, I'm almost poked in the eye by a bolt so long and round, it could only be described as... phallic.

MT Gianni
02-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Except Browning BLRs. Without a doubt, they are all males... Every time I drop the lever on one, I'm almost poked in the eye by a bolt so long and round, it could only be described as... phallic.

Super Mag, Is yours one of the longer rifle calibers? My 308 is ling but I can imagine 7mag or 300 Win would be a really long cycle. Gianni

S.R.Custom
02-24-2008, 10:55 PM
I have two... "Fat Man" is a 1993 vintage steel framed 7mm Magnum, and he is indeed... endowed. I had to set the Leupold all the way back in the rings to keep my face out of the way.

"Little Boy" is a short action .358 Winchester of '03 vintage. It's the alloy receiver, and the action is a bit larger in girth than previous steel-framed iterations. The bolt is larger, too, sharing the star-shaped cross section of the bigger guns. It seems longer, too. I don't recall any of my previous short actioned BLRs throwing the bolt so close to my face.

For someone like me who likes to "hunch up" on my rifles, either one takes some getting used to.