PDA

View Full Version : picked up a 308 kimber montana yesterday

Lloyd Smale
01-06-2015, 07:21 AM
thing is a featherweight. Just over 5lbs with a 22 inch barrel. I got what I considered a steel on it at 800 bucks with a vx2 2x7 leupold on it. Previous owner did a home camo job on the stock and although it doesn't look bad im sure that's why it was priced low. Not many want to buy a 1000 plus dollar gun that someone took a rattle can to. I think im going to try out that new camo dipping thing. Theres a local gun doing it and they product looks pretty amazing.

BruceB
01-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Lloyd, that sounds like a perfect rifle for the Upper Peninsula.

My Grandfather and his six sons (my uncles!) used .30'06 and 8mm Mauser rifles for deer in the Houghton area for many years, and the .308 is definitely in the same class. That Kimber should be great in the thick stuff of the UP.... short, light, quick to the shoulder. It can also reach out if need be.

Good price, too!

Lloyd Smale
01-07-2015, 08:42 AM
kind of what I was thinking bruce. Ive had handguns that weight as much as this thing. All ive been buying of late are long range (mostly mag) rifles for crop damage shooting at long range. Been kind of ignoring the deer season hunting. this one will no doubt be the rifle in my hand next season.

bobthenailer
01-07-2015, 09:05 AM
Nice rifle ! my buddy has the Mountian Accent , the camo stock takes awhile to get used to but im impressed with it.

fatnhappy
01-07-2015, 09:44 PM
I looked at the adirondack and mountain ascent last week. I was floored by how light they were. I'm thinking about putting a montana in .308 on layaway

calshipbuilder
01-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I've got about 200 rounds through my Pop's its a pain from the bench, but sweet off hand Overall, I think its an excellent hunting rifle. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to group less than 1.5moa let me know if you find a good load for it. Also I get some FTFs unless I take no prisoners in running the bolt - how is yours?

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2015, 08:24 AM
I just brought mine to get camo dipped. When I got it it had a duracoat hand done camo job. My buddy who owned it is a duracoat freak and wants to put it on everything. thankfully he didn't do the barreled action too. Brake cleaner and some elbow grease took care of the duracoat and it should look worlds better after being dipped.

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2015, 08:28 AM
I can tell you what worked in this gun. When my buddy first got it he struggled to find a load under 2 inch and would have been happy with 1.5. We were talking guns one day and I mentioned my sps 06 that shoots 1/2 5 shot groups with Winchester bulk bought 150 power points. Its hands down the best bullet in that gun and ive had good luck with it in a few others. I had about a 1000 of them left so gave him a couple hundred and he worked up a load using 2230 that shot just under an inch if he took his time and let the barrel cool between shots. Might be worth a try in your gun. they are a 1in12 twist barrel so your probably wasting your time with anything over 150 in it. Id also consider trying some 125-130 grain bullets.
I've got about 200 rounds through my Pop's its a pain from the bench, but sweet off hand Overall, I think its an excellent hunting rifle. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get it to group less than 1.5moa let me know if you find a good load for it. Also I get some FTFs unless I take no prisoners in running the bolt - how is yours?