PDA

View Full Version : 454Cas and the Ruger SRH Toklat Confession

wlc
01-06-2015, 03:56 AM
Well, I have to make a confession. I've never really "liked" handguns. Not scared of them or anything, just not my "thing". I bought a glock 23 in 40S&W years ago for personal protection and made sure I was proficient with it, but never really truly enjoyed shooting handguns. I've always been a rifle man and skeet shooter/bird hunter.

About a month ago I bought a new Ruger SRH Toklat in 454. Planned on using it as a fishing gun (bears) and bumming around the woods gun when it wasn't some "season" (bears and moose). Well I have just found my new best friend. I love shooting that thing, casting for and loading for it. What gives??? I even like the recoil....

RobS
01-06-2015, 04:34 AM
Welcome to the big bore side of life and casting/reloading/shooting for the it. Funny thing is it will grow on you and may end up buying more, more of everything, as the addiction is just shinning through it appears.

JHeath
01-06-2015, 05:13 AM
Tried shooting it 200yds yet? When you realize it's actually possible to hit things that far, it's an eye opener.

paralaska
01-06-2015, 06:51 PM
I own a 7&1/2 " RSR .454 that I scoped . . . and the 5" Toklat. They are both fun to shoot. . . The next time I have a thousand bucks to spare . . . I plan on getting the 2&1/2" Alaskan. And, Yes . . . 100 yd shots are no problem . . . And when I shoot at 25 or 50 yards with my 45 ACP . . . It puts hole there or sounds the gong . . . When I hit the target with the .454 . . . I knocks the target stand or gong completly down . . . Fun!!!

TCLouis
01-06-2015, 07:22 PM
The great thing about a gun like that you can load it to 45 ACP or 454 levels.

Just a matter of what ya feel like doing with it

CLAYPOOL
01-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Oh it's the "Chase". All the molds, tools, and surprises at yard sales (Maybe). Then one day your look at a Blood and Guts magazine and there it is, A new Gun (caliber) and you think Jeezes I need one of those too.

nighthunter
01-07-2015, 12:28 AM
I might have fallen in love with my 7 1/2 inch Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull. I took a nice sized doe with it at a measured 140 yards this year. Used a 350 grain cast HP bullet PC'd and loaded to about 1450 fps. She went about 15 feet after being hit. Man .... it is a beautiful shooter.

Nighthunter

DrCaveman
01-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Yeah, my rifles have been resting comfortablyin the safe for a while now. The revolvers/pistols are much more conducive to my shooting locations, and off hand at 25-50 yds i am as good with my handguns as the long barrels.

The REAL reason is that i can shoot my 100-300 rounds of handgun loads per outing and not be totally out of powder when i get home. Current supply situation dictates that i use less powder per round, if i intend to actually get some practice in. Economic aspect aside, there simply aint enough powder around to really keep up with rifle shooting...for me

Oh yeah, the 460 magnum has taken a back seat to the "small" rounds like 44 mag and 45 colt for the same reason