PDA

View Full Version : Anybody buy a HF Rotary lately--did you get spare belts?

Farmer&shooter
01-06-2015, 03:25 AM
I just bought a dual drum rotary tumbler from Harbor Freight today for SS pin tumbling of small batches of BP cases. Everybody on here in the past said it comes with spare belts (and they are likely needed rather quickly). I didn't get any spare belts. Anybody buy one lately with spare belts? I just need to know if some coolie forgot to put in the spare belts, of if this is another cost savings measure.

UPDATE: HF manager says they NO LONGER COME WITH EXTRA BELTS. But he would be most happy to SELL me some! The belt is pretty heavy plastic type material and doesn't look like it would be weak. So, if it quits in the next 89 days, I'll take it back and get my money back. I know I could put an O ring on it, but the ultra cheap construction (although it seems to work ok) and the further cost cutting of leaving out the extra belts will sour me on it if the belt dies within that time.

beroen
01-06-2015, 03:43 AM
Go back tell them you want your spare belts!

Call me lucky or smart but I have tumbled probably over 3k .223,.45,9mm,308,300sav and not broke a belt. I even run a pound and a half of pins. The magic amount of lemishine is a 3cc lee dipper you can let it tumble for 4 hours to get those primer pockets extra clean with no darkening to the brass.
Think the trick is to turn it off when messing with the drums and Maybie give it a little push to get it started.

RobS
01-06-2015, 04:46 AM
You may be able to find a large rubber o-ring at a hardware store that may work.

salpal48
01-06-2015, 09:55 PM
Just Bought One Right before Christmas. Extra Belt were In there . There printed matter inside . also states that. Bring it back
Sal

MaryB
01-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Sounds like they changed belt material...

jcwit
01-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Go to your nearest Motion Industries outlet, they are Nation wide. They will be more than happy to sell/order you QUALITY "O" ring belts that will much longer then the H/F belts.

https://www.motionindustries.com/taxonomy/browse/en

Whiterabbit
01-07-2015, 01:57 AM
mine came with one extra belt. But thanks for the tip, I have a motion industries two miles from my house. Never been, just drive by the sign all the time.

gunoil
01-07-2015, 01:33 PM
maybe ebay too.

Surculus
01-08-2015, 02:46 PM
Vacuum cleaners use similar rubber drive belts; you can probably find a match at the local vacuum cleaner & sewing machine repair shop...

Daveb6332
01-08-2015, 08:58 PM
I bought one about 6 months ago and it came with spare belts. I've done several thousand rounds of brass and it has not broken a belt yet. I hope it doesn't break one because I put the spares somewhere safe, and now I can't find them.

salpal48
01-08-2015, 09:59 PM
The harbor Freight Dual I believe is a copy of the Lortone dual 3 lb'. If you go to therockshed.com. he handle a wide variety of equipment and parts . i purchase parts for my Lortons and Thumbler. prices are resonable. . He has a Phone # as well.
Sal

pastime
01-19-2015, 01:24 AM
I purchased one from HF last summer and it came with 5 extra belts. I have not needed them though. I made sure the belt was adjusted correctly and lubed all the bearings. I also give it a little push when I start it just to help it get going. I have tumbled about 2500 rounds so far and have not had any issues. I would call HF back and tell them you did not get your extra belts.