PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first mold

cwb8539
01-06-2015, 01:44 AM
I have really enjoyed this site. I just got my first mold in the mail today. It's a NOE 358 124gr TC RG 2 cavity mold. Shipping was fast and it's a very fine piece of craftsmanship, that's for sure. I'm currently seasoning it per the instruction sheet provided with the mold. I can hardly wait to start using it!

Beagle333
01-06-2015, 01:49 AM
You'll like it! It's not that hard to start out with a RG mold. Just follow the directions and get the pins hot and keep em hot. Have fun!!

RobS
01-06-2015, 04:42 AM
Going right after it with a semi-custom mold maker. This will make life easier and as posted above by B333 keep the mold hot with a quick pace of casting. If it's an aluminum mold you will have to keep casting tempo fast and may even have to turn up the alloy temp a bit to keep the pins hot. If it is a brass HP mold then it will hold it's heat better and is often times easier to produce nice boolits with a steady pace and alloy temp between 690-710ish degrees depending on alloy used and the amount of tin involved . Also if you can preheat your mold before casting that will help a great deal.

Hickory
01-06-2015, 05:43 AM
Good molds, like a good woman, needs to be treated
with kindness, and not slam-bang them around.
Take the time to turn the mold side ways and
let the pins fall in place before closing it.
Don't get in such a big hurry that you end up damaging the mold.
Your mold will and should last for many years.

fatnhappy
01-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Oh thank God! It's good to see somebody jump in with a quality mould right off the bat. I feel that will substantially shorten your learning curve.

Cast fast and treat it with a gentle hand and it will cast scads of boolits for you for the rest of your life.

Gtek
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
They are like potato chips, bet you will not stop at one! Please absorb all the safety stuff for yourself and the ones that put up with you if you are new to casting. It is to me a wonderful relaxing thing, but it has the potential to go ugly quick. Enjoy!

Garyshome
01-11-2015, 12:32 AM
Well it's about time, welcome to a NEW addiction! I hate being alone in my addictions.

TXGunNut
01-11-2015, 02:13 AM
Welcome to the affliction! Starting out with a NOE mould is like taking a nice 8-pt for your first deer. It may get better someday but it could be awhile, lol.

kungfustyle
01-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Great job and congratulations on beginning your mold collection. Great mold/company choice by the way. You will wonder why every one has such a hard time with their molds....

cwb8539
01-12-2015, 12:23 AM
I appreciate everyone's input. I never would have known about NOE molds had it not been for this site. I've never minded paying for quality. With proper care, quality tools will last a lifetime. Hopefully I'll get a chance to start using it soon. I'll post some pics once I get going with it.

I've been smelting range scrap and making ingots lately. I even enjoy that part of it! I can see how addicting this is! I keep having to convince my wife that I'll be "saving" money. ;)

shoot-n-lead
01-12-2015, 12:28 AM
I've been smelting range scrap and making ingots lately. I even enjoy that part of it! I can see how addicting this is! I keep having to convince my wife that I'll be "saving" money. ;)

That just gives you an excuse to shoot more...so you can PROVE it.

fatnhappy
01-12-2015, 10:08 PM
I appreciate everyone's input. I never would have known about NOE molds had it not been for this site. I've never minded paying for quality. With proper care, quality tools will last a lifetime. Hopefully I'll get a chance to start using it soon. I'll post some pics once I get going with it.

I believe with that attitude you will find this is a lifelong hobby.

duckey
01-12-2015, 10:11 PM
More like Pringles, you just can't stop!

MarkP
01-12-2015, 10:21 PM
I feather a torch over my HP pins after pre-heating on a hot plate.

Bongo Boy
01-12-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm only experienced enough to know you're in for a real thrill. Congratulations and welcome to an extremely satisfying hobby, and to a very helpful community of folks.
I definitely remember the First Time...when they dropped out looking like magic little jewel works of art. You may hit a road bump or two first, but whether you do or not, you'll soon be producing bullets that are the equal of commercial products 99.7% of the population couldn't possibly afford to buy. Or at least shouldn't.

If you don't have a decent handheld thermometer, let me recommend one. 'Handhelds' from Thermoworks and others go for around $50-90, and are worth everypenny. I believe it someone here on this site who basically fixed ALL of my casting problems by simply asking me, "Do you know what your pot temperature is?" Wow. "It's melted, what more do I need to know?". Nope, not quite.

Welcome!

Bzcraig
01-12-2015, 11:53 PM
Yup, Al makes good stuff

cwb8539
03-28-2015, 03:15 PM
I finally got to play with my new mold. It didn't take long and I was happily casting keepers. Thanks to this site, my learning curve was dramatically reduced!

cwb8539
03-28-2015, 09:16 PM
I just loaded and test fired my first five rounds. What a cool experience... shooting bullets I made myself. I'm hooked.