PDA

View Full Version : Ch4d primer swage problem

waltherboy4040
01-05-2015, 07:38 PM
I've been playing with my ch4d primer swage kit, but it seems like the case actually tilts over. The case fits pretty loose(up and down play) in the lee shellholder compared to my j type shellholder. I was wondering if buying a different brand shellholder would help or if I should just throw the swage kit in the junk drawer.

skeettx
01-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Hello
There are four types of Ch4d primer swagers, which one do you have??
What size primer pocket are you trying to swage? 223 or 30-06/45ACP ?
What shell holder number are you using?

Is it this one??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFD3jJ9AEXk

I like the RCBS #3 for 30-06 or a #11 if the #3 is too tight
and I use the RCBS #10 for 223 brass.

Thanks
Mike

DHC
01-05-2015, 09:09 PM
I've been playing with my ch4d primer swage kit, but it seems like the case actually tilts over. The case fits pretty loose(up and down play) in the lee shellholder compared to my j type shellholder. I was wondering if buying a different brand shellholder would help or if I should just throw the swage kit in the junk drawer.

The CH4D swager is considered by some to be the best swaging tool around (article here --> http://squibloads.wordpress.com/reloading/get-the-crimp-out/). I prefer the new RCBS Bench Swaging Tool (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319662/rcbs-bench-mounted-primer-pocket-swager?cm_vc=ProductFinding) which is similar to the Dillon Super Swage mentioned in the article.

In terms of using the CH4D, it is important to be sure the case is held in place by as much of the shellholder as possible. Even then, on a few occasions, I have had the lip of the casehead shear off when pressure is applied to the swaging spud. Try to find the best fitting shellholder possible (that is - tightest fit) and be careful not to swage until the case is perfectly aligned in the shellholder with the swaging spud. If careful, the CH4D should actually be a bit faster for bulk processing than the other swager options.

IHTH

waltherboy4040
01-05-2015, 09:19 PM
Its the one in the video and trying to swage 223. Using the lee #4

gwpercle
01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
Call up the nice people at CH4D and explain the problem, they are super nice and will find a solution to the problem. Might be as simple as a CH4D shell holder.
I have bought old presses that they were able to supply parts for to make useable again. Call them , usually a real person answer's the phone and will help.
Gary

DHC
01-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Its the one in the video and trying to swage 223. Using the lee #4

Yeah, I've managed to tear the lip on a few 223 cases. There is not a lot of material for support on those cases making it more important to be sure your shellholder fits the case snugly and provides as much support as possible. The shellholders I use are primarily RCBS or Redding. Not sure which number off the top of my head, but I recall trying a number of them to find the one with the best 'fit.' Also important to be sure the case is fully-seated in the shellholder before applying pressure with the swager spud. If you are misaligned even slightly, it will shear the lip off the case.