PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Lyman progressive...

Catshooter
09-25-2005, 06:16 PM
you know, the one that uses the 310 dies. I've seen 'em for years at the gun show, but never fooled with one.

What do need to know/do? I'm about to pick one up. Thanks.

Cat

woody1
09-25-2005, 07:11 PM
you know, the one that uses the 310 dies. I've seen 'em for years at the gun show, but never fooled with one.

Cat

Well, first you need a shellholder, dies and priming stem, none of which are standard to anything but early 310 tools and early Lyman presses. For any of the bottle-neck cases they only neck size. I have two that are permanently set up, one in 30-30 and one in 38/357. I also have a Lyman 55 mounted on each. PM me with your email and I can send you scans of Lyman set-up instructions and die/shellholder charts if you'd like.
Regards, Woody

floodgate
09-26-2005, 01:18 AM

Cat:

Woody's started you on the right track. It's not really a "progressive" press of the "one pull, one loaded cartridge" variety, but you can run through a batch without changing dies, just rotate the turret between operations. The early ones used 310 dies, and had a straight link from the toggle to the shell-block; the later ones have a compound linkage with an "L"-shaped intermediate link, and could full-length size pistol cases. They took 2- or 3-die sets, but the 310 dies will work fine in them, too. You can order an adapter that will take standard RCBS-type shell holders from Lyman, Stock No. 7095762 @$9.95, and if you want to prime in the tool, they sell a matching primer punch set up for large and small primers, SKU 7095763, @ $7.25. The adapter costs you about 1/4" in travel, so may not work for magnum-length cases.

(I think this is the second time I've answered this question today. Those Tru-Line Jrs. must be getting popular again; I've got three of 'em.)

floodgate