PDA

View Full Version : 458 SOCOM -- NOOB Questions

Patricklaw
01-05-2015, 01:27 PM
This weekend I became the proud owner of an RRA upper in 458 SOCOM. I've been working this trade for a while as I had a nice 1911 in my safe and an acquaintance that seemed willing to part with this upper. I also have a shooting buddy with a 45-90 Highwall and I wanted to be able to throw big chunks of lead with him.

Thus far, I've learned that load data is abundant, as is brass, but you'll spend about $1 each for anything that you get. Loaded rounds cost as much as the fodder for my 338 Lapua, $4-6 each. I will shoot roughly the same powders as my 30 Carbine, 7.62x39 and 7.62x40 and may be a little friendlier to the faster end of the spectrum such as Lil'gun/H110. A new set of Lee dies are on the way and I have about 80 cases to begin to play with. That said, I have a few remaining questions. I won't say my research was exhaustive and I could probably "wing it" but I'd like to hear what others are doing.

1) Bullet Molds - What's your favorite? I'm happy with my half dozen or so Lee molds and will go that direction unless there is a good reason not to. Best of the Lees? Other options?

2) Lee does not make a push through sizer in 460. No, I haven't slugged it yet but I suspect that is where I'll want to be and Lee's largest appropriate size is 457. So, buy a 457 and open it up? Have one custom made by one of the members here? Uncrate the Lyman 45?? (Yes I said 45. It get's used about every 6 years)

3) While I'm searching for my answers and shipments of goodies to make bullets, I notice there is an entire category on this forum devoted to paper patching. I've read many of the posts and wanted to try it, but my molds fit my barrels. No room for paper...until now. I have a stack of .452 molds (think ACP and LC) and a 458 barrel. Anybody ever paper patch a 458 SOCOM?

Thanks in advance...:?::?::?:

SciFiJim
01-06-2015, 01:56 AM
Loaded rounds cost as much as the fodder for my 338 Lapua, $4-6 each. I will shoot roughly the same powders as my 30 Carbine, 7.62x39 and 7.62x40 and may be a little friendlier to the faster end of the spectrum such as Lil'gun/H110. A new set of Lee dies are on the way and I have about 80 cases to begin to play with

3) While I'm searching for my answers and shipments of goodies to make bullets, I notice there is an entire category on this forum devoted to paper patching. I've read many of the posts and wanted to try it, but my molds fit my barrels. No room for paper...until now. I have a stack of .452 molds (think ACP and LC) and a 458 barrel. Anybody ever paper patch a 458 SOCOM?

Thanks in advance...:?::?::?:

Looks like a great round to reload with cast. After the cost of brass, you can probably reload for a few cents a round.

At that cost, you will want to shoot much more than what you would be willing to spend the time paper patching.

How heavy a round i you buddy using in his 45-90? Maybe you can borrow his mold the run off a few to try out.

At first blush, I would thing something in the 350gr would be a lot of fun.

Something like this.
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=422

hicard
01-10-2015, 12:25 AM
I really like the Lyman 330 gr Gould mold for my 458 Socom. I load it to trapdoor velocities (1350-1400 fps). Fun to shoot, cheap, accurate and a great hunting round.

dkf
01-10-2015, 12:45 AM
I am just getting into the .458 socom myself. I don't have an RRA but the guys that do say max bullet diameter you can chamber is .459". For the Lee sizer I just polish the sizer die out to size with emery paper on my lathe. I buy all the Lee sizers smaller than I need and polish them out, they size easier and produce a more evenly sized bullet after polishing. For bullets with a big metplat the upper may need to be blended into feedramp or the mags modified to get proper feeding. You should be good as is with a bullet like the NOE 460483.

rockrat
01-10-2015, 02:52 PM
300-350 gr works well in my Socom. I size to .460" and don't have any problem, but Tony Rumore built my upper, not RRA.

dkf
01-10-2015, 11:32 PM
300-350 gr works well in my Socom. I size to .460" and don't have any problem, but Tony Rumore built my upper, not RRA.

Some guys say the Tromix barrels won't chamber a bullet sized over .458". If you are fitting in .460" that is great and more to my liking.