View Full Version : Model 95 Chilean Mauser

MtGun44
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
I just picked up a pretty nice Chilean Mauser, 1895 model and the rear
sight has some issues. I wonder if anyone here has sporterized one and
hung on to the rear sight or parts. The leaf spring is broken and the
slider on the sight doesn't lock. I haven't yet disassembled the slider
to see if I can fix it, but if someone has an original rear sight that is
just junk to them, I'd like to discuss buying it or parts of it.

Thanks!

Bill

Brett Ross
01-05-2015, 09:11 PM
I have one off a short rifle but not sure of the shape, barrel is shot. I will get some photos in a dsy or two (sick now). If it will work for u its yours. Tony

MtGun44
01-06-2015, 03:47 AM
Thank you! I found a leaf spring, but the slider on the sight is broken so it will not lock
into the grooves (tiny tabs sheared off internally). If you have the slider (easily removed
by unscrewing the small screw at the end of the sight ladder) and it works, I would be happy
to at least pay your shipping costs.

Thanks again. PM me when you feel better.

Bill

Dutchman
01-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Springfield Sporters may have one. Seems I bought one for a m/1895 Chilean some years ago.

Dutch

Brett Ross
01-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Should be able to get it off this weekend. I will try to remove the whole thing. The receiver is to be used for my first attempt at a sporter. The stock was in OK shape but the barrel was badly pitted inside and out. Let me know if you need anything else.

Wayne Smith
01-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Brett, the sight is mounted on a slide that is soldered to the barrel. To get the whole assembly off you need to slide out the front sight insert to get to the set screw that holds the sight base on. This is mounted on a ring that goes around the front of the barrel and is also soldered on, or at least was on mine. You have to take off the front sight because the slide does not clear the front sight.

Brett Ross
01-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

Multigunner
01-09-2015, 02:15 PM
When I bought a near mint 1895 Chilean for $25 back in 1970 I could not find any milsurp 7mm locally but my brother had two rounds of the old milspec UMC round nose cupro-nickel FMJ.
I took the rifle out to an empty field that was the local shooting spot. The ground was too muddy to get to the high clay bank used as a berm.
Some guys were parked at the other side of the field when I drove up.
I loaded one round and let fly at a beer can on the clay bank about 200 yards away and sent it climbing like a sky rocket. The guys watching stood there with their mouths open.
I then put the rifle back in the wagon and drove away.
I still have the other UMC cartridge. I polished the jacket and tell people its a silver bullet for hunting werewolves.

Needless to say I wish I'd never sold that 95.

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 06:57 PM
They are nice rifles, and it is even better to have a bit of luck and to be smart enough
not to ruin it by trying again. :-)

Bill

Muskyhunter1
01-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Bill - I bought a M95 rear sight from Liberty Tree Collectors for my German M96 a couple of months ago. The German 96 (not swed) are identical to the M95. Your rear sight spring is ok then?

MtGun44
01-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Found and have already installed the leaf spring. Need the slider, but Brett Ross says he
has one. One on ebay, but don't want to buy that one if Brett has one for free or cheap.

Bill

Muskyhunter1
01-12-2015, 10:15 PM
Ok no prob. If you need another spring let me know. Good luck.

MtGun44
01-13-2015, 03:03 AM
Thank you for the consideration sir!

I got the slider coming now, so I should be set.

Thanks to all.

Bill

Brett Ross
01-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Well it would have been free but it was no better than what bill had already. I got a barrel vice and action whench for Xmas and will try to remove the barrel as soon as I can fab a mounting bench fot it. I have never chanced a barrel so it will be all new to me. Wish me luck.

Wayne Smith
01-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Get that sight sleeve off before you try to pull the barrel. It butts right up against the action.

Dutchman
01-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Get that sight sleeve off before you try to pull the barrel. It butts right up against the action.

This is a 1895 Chilean barrel. The rear sight base doesn't touch the receiver.

http://images54.fotki.com/v77/photos/2/28344/6806565/DSCF8759-vi.jpg

Wayne Smith
01-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks Dutch. It was five or so years ago and I miss-remembered.

Dutchman
01-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Thanks Dutch. It was five or so years ago and I miss-remembered.

I have a gazillion pictures so I won't mis-remember:-)

Dutch

MtGun44
01-18-2015, 01:15 AM
Hey, Dutchman, do you have the slider off of that 95 Chilean? The source that I ordered
it from was not a 95 Chilean, and it is going back.

So - back looking for the tangent sight slider for a 95 Chilean Mauser.

Bill

Dutchman
01-18-2015, 11:24 PM
No, it was a loose barrel with just the base attached.

Did you try Springfield Sporters?

Dutch

MtGun44
01-18-2015, 11:33 PM
All they list is a "Rear sight tang with slide, lang (sic) type, Spanish". IME, the
Spanish rifles were not finished anywhere near the level of the Chilean rifles and
the slider is that bright eye-popping blue and a wrong one wouldn't look right.

Got to be a real Chilean long rifle rear sight slider out there somewhere.

Bill

Multigunner
01-19-2015, 01:59 AM
It was five or so years ago and I miss-remembered.
I can see why, first time I saw a stepped barrel I thought the first step was part of the receiver.

Roundball
01-31-2015, 10:05 PM
The Lang rear sight is like that on the German GEW98. The slide moved parallel to the barrel elevating the actual sight portion that was pivoted in the front of the base. I have had Spanish Mausers with a similar sight. It was kinda a Rube Goldberg device. It's nothing like the sight on a Chilean 95. That's the thrill of ordering parts-it's always a pleasant when the right thing shows up.

MtGun44
02-01-2015, 10:16 PM
OK, thanks for the info on the sight. The Chilean has a ladder, vertical slider,
not totally unlike the 1903 Springfield, without the peep.

Bill

Multigunner
02-03-2015, 07:34 PM
I have had Spanish Mausers with a similar sight.
Spain bought some WW1 surplus Gew98 rifles that had their corroded bored relined to 7mm. Could these be the rifles you mentioned?

When the Germans went to the more familar tangent sight they may have sold off surplus Lange sights or Lange sights removed from barrels during refitting to the later standards. Also I expect any machinery or tooling used to make the Lange sights was on the surplus market.
The Spanish at one time bought up any rifle that could chamber the 7mm or any rifle that could be converted to 7mm.