PDA

View Full Version : Teflon wraps

Blair
01-05-2015, 12:48 PM
BPI sells the 50 packs of pre-cut teflon wraps for 12G

The costs soon add up if you do a lot of loading with them.

Plus there is a lot of waste when cutting them to size needed.

Is there any place that sells by sheet so I can cut just my needed size without all the waste?

Does the thickness have to be the same as BPI sells which is .010 thickness?

When loading buckshot or birdshot, does the wrap need to be teflon? Could I use mylar instead?

As a boy growing up, I remember the mylar wraps in the birdshot loads.

Plus the plastic wads are not teflon and they slide down the barrel nicely.

Or am I asking for problems?

odfairfaxsub
01-05-2015, 12:52 PM
I never wrapped my buckshot loads and never got anything undesireable

William Yanda
01-05-2015, 01:02 PM
I've heard that wraps can be cut from brown paper bags. But you can hear anything.

btreanor
01-05-2015, 01:44 PM
I haven't loaded any shotshells lately, but I remember using mylar wraps for some specialty loads (steel shot). If my memory is correct, the teflon wraps were designed to be used for special buckshot loads to protect them from deformation on the way down the bore.

I used the mylar sheets from new computer screens to make my own mylar wraps and they worked fine, so my guess is that you could use your own teflon sheets and cut them to size. However, unless you're loading some sort of specialty shell I doubt the teflon or mylar wraps would really make a much of a difference. The only way to know for sure is to do some pattern testing. I think the mylar wraps were more for protecting the bore from steel shot than anything else.

Hope that helps and have fun with your experimenting!

btreanor
01-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Forgot to mention: I've done a lot of experimenting with buckshot loads and the best loads I found (by far) were the ones where the buckshot was contained in a plastic shotcup (think #1 or #0 buckshot). The patterns of other buckshot loads didn't hold very well at ranges past 20 yards or so.

leadhead 500
01-05-2015, 09:18 PM
The sheets are mylar. Go to a office supply store and ask for overhead progection sheets that are used on projectors. You can use any from .005 to .010

cpileri
01-06-2015, 08:34 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Polytetrafluoroethylene-Opaque-Standard-Tolerance-Thickness/dp/B00CPRELXI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1420547607&sr=8-3&keywords=ptfe+sheet

singleshot
01-06-2015, 10:01 AM
The only "stated" purpose by several reloading manuals of mylar wraps is to protect the bore. I suppose they would also protect lead from rubbing the barrel on the way down the tube, but a plastic wad is sufficient for that purpose. If you're shooting lead, I'd be inclined to try printer paper before I'd spend money on mylar or Teflon.

singleshot
01-06-2015, 10:02 AM
OP, what are you trying to accomplish? What are you using as a "gas seal"? Are you using hard cards?

mtgrs737
01-06-2015, 12:48 PM
What about house wrap? Or those USPS mailer envelopes from the post office? They might protect the bore from lead rubbing thru the shot cup petals.

Blair
01-06-2015, 03:06 PM
OP, what are you trying to accomplish? What are you using as a "gas seal"? Are you using hard cards?

I'm using BPI's gas seal X12X with cards on top of that to build the height.

I'm looking at the teflon or mylar to protect the shot from barrel scrub and not blow open my patterns.

I'm trying to do away with using a wad.

bstone5
01-06-2015, 10:14 PM
Has anyone coated the buck shot with the Hi-Tech coating used to coat cast lead bullets.
The pistol bullet coating on the buck shot may keep the lead out of the barrel and protect the shot as it travels down the barrel.

I have loaded 00 with wads with the pedals cut off and did get a little lead in the barrel. The group was not very good but shot fine.

blackbike
01-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Yea, I have PCed shot, no proub., but have not loaded it yet. Its gota work.
Also have PCed black powder round shot, that worked good.
Once I loaded dimes in 12ga and wrapped them in Teflon tape.
Just some food for thought.

bb

longbow
01-07-2015, 12:14 AM
A word of warning...

If the load recipe calls for a cushion leg wad and you are replacing it with a plastic gas seal and hard card wads you may wind up with higher pressure. The cushion leg collapses at ignition providing a larger volume for the gas. By eliminating that initial volume increase you may get a pressure spike.

BPI has short hull load listings and it appears to me that, at least with fast(ish) powders, that is the case as same basic load in a longer hull with cushion leg develops less pressure. Why would hull length affect pressure when it is straight and everything is pushed down on the powder. The main difference is the lack of cushion leg.

Just a thought.

Longbow

phaessler
01-07-2015, 09:21 AM
+1 longbow

Blair
01-07-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the reminder.

I am using data from BPI's buckshot manual for just a gas seal and hard cards.

A word of warning...

If the load recipe calls for a cushion leg wad and you are replacing it with a plastic gas seal and hard card wads you may wind up with higher pressure. The cushion leg collapses at ignition providing a larger volume for the gas. By eliminating that initial volume increase you may get a pressure spike.

BPI has short hull load listings and it appears to me that, at least with fast(ish) powders, that is the case as same basic load in a longer hull with cushion leg develops less pressure. Why would hull length affect pressure when it is straight and everything is pushed down on the powder. The main difference is the lack of cushion leg.

Just a thought.

Longbow

Hogtamer
01-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I just loaded some 3" 12ga with Steel powder, x12x gas seal. 2 - 1/4" felt wads, a mylar wrap, a 1/8" cork wad inside that and 12 true 00 buck. the mylar wrap inside the hull allows stacks of 3 pellets inside the hull and the felt wads provide a bit of cushion on firing and easier on the pellets at the setback of ignition.

longbow
01-07-2015, 09:22 PM
Okay, you ought to be good then.

Just thought I would mention in case.

Longbow

Greg5278
01-08-2015, 11:10 AM
I've got some extra teflon Roll around That I can spare if Someone needs to purchase any. It's already cut to width to go inside 12ga Hulls. You just have to cut it to the length you need. I'll have to check my Stock to see what thickness I have hanging around. I think it is .004, .008 and .015" but i may be wrong.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

Treeman
01-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Another note from BPI-they say NOT to substitute Mylar for Teflon wraps. Mylar is intended only for use inside a shotcup. Their testing showed unexpected pressure spikes when Mylar replaced Teflon in bore contact situations.

StrikerOmalley
01-11-2015, 06:51 PM
Blair,

I started out using Mylar wraps and x12x gas seals but quickly transitioned to something else due to cost. I don't recall which Handloader issue it was, but I read an article about using plastic dividers cut to length as an alternative. I'm speaking about a 3-ring binder plastic dividers you might buy at Office Depot. Anyway, the results have been fine. PM me if you want to discuss further.