PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 444XLR lever protrusion issue

Shuz
01-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Last fall I picked up a 444 Marlin XLR that seems to have a lever protrusion problem. By that I mean, while the lever closes all the way, there is a good bit of lever metal that protrudes in front of the trigger, making the purchase of the trigger less than desirable. Now the rifle fires OK, but the lever drops just a mite when it is fired. Some have suggested that all I have to do is file away the protruding part of the lever and I'll solve the problem. Since this is a stainless steel lever, that would be easy to do. My concern is that there may be a problem with the nose part of the lever or some other thingy that is affecting the lock-up and therefore the protrusion develops and the lever drops a bit when fired. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ratboy
01-06-2015, 10:07 PM
can you post a picture of this protrusion? if its what i think it is, yes you can just file it off if you really want.i have small fingers so mine does not bother me. however the lever should not drop after firing. i suspect someone has trimmed or replaced the finger lever plunger spring. this should be addressed as if it is that close in tension the lever will pop down and engage the trigger block at the most inopportune moment.

Shuz
01-07-2015, 11:43 AM
I will try and post a picture of the trigger/lever issue. I doubt that anybody has replaced anything because the gun looked unfired when I got it. Just for clarification, until the picture is posted, the lever closes properly and is real tight when doing so, and can not go any further up. It's just that the round part of the lever which curls up around the front of the trigger, protrudes in front of the trigger.

nekshot
01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
with out pictures this is a crapshoot of ideas but I saw a 336 years ago that for some reason the action locked up and somebody bent the lever trying to open the action. My guess is it needs a file or rebent the lever,