PDA

View Full Version : The new Marlin bolt action CF

Buckshot
02-21-2008, 02:15 AM
................One of the Burrito Shooters gave me a stack of his old gun magazines, and then tossed in this month's Shooting Times. On the cover I saw what at first was a Savage but then noted the missing bolt release/sear lever on the right rear of the action. I thought they were previewing a new Savage design. Turns out it's the New Marlin XL-7.

The ONLY thing they didn't take from Savage was the exposed boltrelease/sear lever. It uses the barrel nut and sandwiches the recoil plate. It uses a pin retained seperate bolt head, and also a modified Accu-Trigger. The writeup does allude to one (I think it is) Savage feature and that's the pinned blothead carrying the locking lugs.

So Marlin is now building Savage rifles, and calling them the XL-7 :-). I mean, they might as well say that, as it's plain as day where the design came from. Once again, mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery!

...................Bcuckshot

218bee
02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I could be wrong, but I doubt this rifle will make it for long. I believe Marlin does a fantastic job with lever guns and I own more than I need and they should stick to that. Plenty of other bolt guns out there to compete with no need for them to throw their hat in when they pretty much got the Lever market to themselves

Lead melter
02-21-2008, 10:47 AM
I just talked to Marlin Co. They are manufacturing the rifles as we speak, or so they say. Expected release date is the end of March. Button rifling, not MicroGroove. Might be an inexpensive dedicated cast boolit shooter in 30-'06. Others listed now are 25-'06 {Yech}, and 270 {not much better in my opinion}. Maybe others will come along.

Yeah, I noticed the striking similarity to the Savage, but it has a 700 style safety. Personally I prefer the tang style Savage version.

PatMarlin
02-26-2008, 02:19 AM
Just got my American Rifleman and there's an article on em'.

I think they might be on to something with a list price tag of $325.

Now if they ever have an offering in 22-250, I'm there!!!

alleyyooper
02-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Funny the rifle should look so much like a Savage. I guess the safety looks like a 700 safety because, I got a Remington country Mag a while back that said that Remington had bought Marlin.
Marlin has had quailty rifles for years and I see no reason for this bolt action to depart from that same quailty level.

:mrgreen: Al

PatMarlin
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
It haas the famed Remington 700 bolt handle also.

I wonder what the deal is with savage though?

Marlin Junky
02-26-2008, 01:38 PM
So Marlin is now building Savage rifles, and calling them the XL-7 :-). I mean, they might as well say that, as it's plain as day where the design came from. Once again, mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery!

...................Bcuckshot

Didn't Marlin build the first few Savage 1895's?

MJ

floodgate
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Marlin Junky:

Yes, they did, serials under 10,000; you can see the "JM" proofmark on the top rear of the barrel or the receiver ring.

Fg

alleyyooper
02-26-2008, 11:01 PM
I'll buy two when they chamber one in 257 Roberts. The second one in 22-08 to replace my 220 swift.

:mrgreen: Al

bruce drake
02-27-2008, 01:58 PM
It uses the barrel nut and sandwiches the recoil plate. It uses a pin retained seperate bolt head, and also a modified Accu-Trigger. The writeup does allude to one (I think it is) Savage feature and that's the pinned blothead carrying the locking lugs.

Does this mean that we can rebarrel with Savage barrels to go to other calibers?

That could add a twist to everything.

Bruce

lovedogs
02-27-2008, 07:43 PM
I sure missed the boat when I passed on their last bolt action. I hefted on once. It fit me to a "T". It looked like a great gun. But at the time I didn't really need another rifle, didn't have the money, and wasn't sure how they'd shoot. Later I saw that same rifle being shot by the lucky dude who bought it. It was an absolute tack driver! I may miss my bet but I'd bet this new version is going to be even better. I do like the older Winchester-style trigger I heard the old ones had. The trigger on the new one looks like a Savage Accu-Trigger but it's not the same design if you read the way it works in a good article. I wish I was in the market for a new smokepole and it came in some other calibers 'cuz I'd try one.

spurrit
03-11-2008, 12:04 AM
This thread is USELESS without pics!

Scrounger
03-11-2008, 12:14 AM
So here:
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/zoom_XL7.jpg

PatMarlin
03-11-2008, 12:35 AM
Looks like a rifle.